Noisy valve train with 0w20 oil–2006 Civic 1.8(R18)

Hello ladies, I have a ‘06 Civic with 230,000(recalled block at 130,000) that was gifted to me by a family member. It is in great shape given its age and mileage.

However, back in December when I was planning on changing the oil, I noticed the records indicate that it was just recently changed with 5w30 dino(0/5w20 recommended) back in September 2019. So, being "cold" in December and wanting to use the correct specced oil weight, I changed the oil with RTG 0w20. When I started up, I right away noticed an unusual valve train noise. Well, I though it's just because its a "thinner oil" its gonna be noisy, so I drove it for a week.

A week later and the sound is still annoyingly loud, I decided to inspect the valves and the timing chain as it needs a vcg anyway. Upon inspection after the engine sitting overnight, the valves were surprisingly tight especially all of the exhaust side and a little loose on 4 valves on the intake side(one each piston), but the timing chain is clean, good-n-tight. With this discovery, I adjusted the valves accordingly and change the valve cover gasket.

Four hours later after the valve adjustment and gasket replacement, I started the vehicle and dang the thing sounds like my grandma's 1948 15-91 Singer sewing machine!!! I had it run for a little bit to warm it up and hope the noise will subside, but several minutes later it didn't change at all. So, I checked the oil and it was full and clean. I drove it until 2 weeks ago when I decided to recheck the valves again! Valves are ok, same specs and nothing unusual or broken. Got the valve cover back on and changed the oil to 5w30 Supertech HM dino. I started the engine.... and behold! It ran so smooth and quiet.. I'll stick to 5w30 from now on. Have you guys had this experience on a R18 motor? Thanx

I experienced this with an old Accord 2.0L 4 cyl with >300K miles. The engine required 5or10W30 and it sounded like what you are experiencing. So, I went to 10W40 and all was good.

For you, I'd stay with 5W30 in that engine and call it a day.

Last edited:
It may not be the 5w30. What may have made the difference was the change from synthetic Grp3 to dino Grp2. Not uncommon around BITOG to read that a quieter engine occurred at normal running temps, after a change-back to dino.

Yup it was the 20 weight - - -sadly your 5w-30 will become a 20 weight in a short amount of time.
I have also bumped up all of our 20 spec cars to 5w/10w-30's.
I'm all about the cushin.
banana2.gif

Our Mazda 5 with the 2.5L is noisey on Mobil 1 0-20W so I switched it to Harvest King full synthetic 0-20W. It now runs so quietly and smooth that I have to check the tach to be sure it is running.

In Japan where the Civic comes from they recommend 0w30, 5w30, 0w40 and 5w40
In Europe, Honda reccomends the same.

If you put 0w20 in an engine that wants xw30/40 then you can expect it to be noisy.

Use the oil reccomeneded by the manufacturer and IGNORE cafe requirements.

It does amaze me the difference different oils make in how any engine sounds at idle.

I feel the same way when my son-in-law comes over in his 4Runner with the 0W-20 and I hear it idle. I just bite my tongue.

Just added M1 0w40 to my VW. Its using oil and making racket.

Sound and runs MUCH better with a 1/2 litre of the 0W40 in there.

No gas mileage it.

An Yes , I don not like the Motul 508.

Factory oil was the best and superb, whatever it was.

Pemex? Bizol?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

No gas mileage it.

As I understand it, 508 and 509 are aimed at Brazil where they all run gasohol, e90 or e95 i think. Jetta woud be happiest on 502/505 if non GPF, 504/507 if GPF equipped.

I have run mostly 0w20 in my R18 and the valvetrain never sounded strange at all. Now running 5w20 and it also sounds the same.

Say it isn't so! An actual group of guys posting in concert that 20wt oils can be too thin!

I will personally never use anything thinner than 5W30 in ANY vehicle, whether it calls for it or not.

I used to own many Hondas over the years and never once did any of them like a 20WT oil or M1 oils. They would be noisy as heck!

Originally Posted by Olas
In Japan where the Civic comes from they recommend 0w30, 5w30, 0w40 and 5w40
In Europe, Honda reccomends the same.

If you put 0w20 in an engine that wants xw30/40 then you can expect it to be noisy.

Use the oil reccomeneded by the manufacturer and IGNORE cafe requirements.

Fake News. CAFE does not require a 20wt oil.

Just put 0w20 in our Chevy Colorado and still whisper quiet. Always used 5w30 prior.... for 16 years.
Just experimenting BTW. I had found five quarts 0w20 tucked under the steps in the basement. Had a 2015 code date on it. So I thought I'd use it.

I'm expecting engine noise at some point. Also expecting increased consumption, with summer approaching. When it needs a quart, I'll feed it Supertech 15w40.

In my last 3 Fords I have accumulated about 510K with 20wt oils and have not noticed any noisy engines. Timing chairs are have been quite. I chose 20wt oils(M1) because they keep my engines very quite, clean, long lasting, and never show any sign of engine wear, all at 10K OCIs.

Originally Posted by Olas
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite

No gas mileage it.

As I understand it, 508 and 509 are aimed at Brazil where they all run gasohol, e90 or e95 i think. Jetta woud be happiest on 502/505 if non GPF, 504/507 if GPF equipped.

lol

VW recommends 508 worldwide on their new engines because of the fuel used in Brazil?

Originally Posted by Ambo87
I started the vehicle and dang the thing sounds like my grandma's 1948 15-91 Singer sewing machine!!!

This is a 100% indication that you messed up the valve clearances. It has absolutely nothing to do with the oil. You either confused between the intake and exhaust valves or don't know how to measure the clearances properly. It could also be something wrong with your gauge, such as metric vs. standard. If the noise decreased later, it's not because of the oil but because of all the severe beating the valves were receiving thanks to the incorrect valve adjustment. They should never sound like a sewing machine, and if they do, you know that the adjustment is wrong.

My 2008 Honda crv is loud, kind of embarrassing really. Adjusted the valves thinking it would improve, actually sounds worse. The exhaust valves were tight, the intakes loose. Adjusted everything to specs. It's loud. I run a mix of 5w20/0w20...might bump it up to a 5w30. Probably should anyway at 140,000 miles.

My son-in-law's 4Runner doesn't sound like a sewing machine. Sounds more like a hay baler.

Back