Noisy lifters argh

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an saturn s series with noisy lifters. Im been using pennzoil yellow bottle for 2ish yrs now and still doing it. 5w30 and sometimes 10w30...... what gives?

I had noisy lifters in my Santa Fe when cold and I switched oil brands and the problem went away... Try switching to another brand and or going synthetic and see if it makes a difference.

Also try changing the filter you are using...

Don't have to stay with this choice, but just to see if it's a brand or it's a mechanical problem.

pennzoil filter is what im been using. tried others. Fram is the worse one cuz the oil get DARK fast 300 miles or so dropped new filter and oil is much better. thinking of syths, which syth do u want me to try? try keep the price down. im tight on money lately...

M1 oils have always given me very quite Ford engines.
M1 and Pure 1 filters.

Last edited:
If it were mine, I'd do 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and the rest Valvoline Conventional in a 5w30. I'd also use a Purolator filter.
But thats just me, I've had great luck with Marvel's stuff.

If you want to keep the price down then I would sugguest these in this order (based on price): Super-tech Synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower / Mobil 1.

Good luck.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
If it were mine, I'd do 1 quart of Marvel Mystery Oil and the rest Valvoline Conventional in a 5w30. I'd also use a Purolator filter.
But thats just me, I've had great luck with Marvel's stuff.

I've had some good luck with it over the years too! People either love it or hate it!

AD

You could also try the ever so hated Lucas oil stabilizer and see if it makes the oil stay in your lifters... Works on my neon that has noisy lifters.
27.gif

Lucas works at making things quiet that's for sure. I don't like the product, but it might quiet things down a bit.

That or Bardhal no smoke. I don't like using it but it works so I use it only for my Neon. Otherwise I'm strictly against additives. And I know this is just buying time and not a permanent fix.

When I worked at a Honda dealership we sent trades to a local mechanic to make them ready for "The Line". Anything that made any kind of noise got Lucas Oil Stabilizer, as a band-aid to quiet the offending engines down. It did work, on occasion he added 1 1/2- 2 bottles into an engine. Lousy way to prep a car but the used car manager didn't want to put much money into a bad trade he took in. He had an owner who was an SOB to answer to.

Mobil 1 HM is a killer oil. Pennzoil Platinum and Valvoline Maxlife full Syn are good too. Buy them at Walmart in the jugs.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back