Noisy filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Dodge ram with the 5.7 litre engine. I installed the frantz tp filter.

Right above the oil filter is a oil sender. I teed into there to supply the filter with oil. the oil gets returned to the oil filler cap.

After the oil gets warmed up there is a low pitch squeal. I am using 5w-30 amsoil.

I have tried returning the oil to the dipstick
tube.
Replaced the 1/8 copper supply line with rubber hose.
Changed the spin on oil filter. Still the same noise.

I have ordered the sandwich adapter and try that.

Any ideas or thoughts from other's would be
appreciated.

Thanks Bron32

If you had been using GC, I would have said it's all those little Gummy Bears playing around inside.
shocked.gif

My experience coincides with Steve's; engine vibration caused my BP to hit the sheetmetal because I didn't shim it off the fender, and the fender was flexing from the weight of the filter and mount.

How are you sealing the dipstick? A lot of oil and oil spray, along with engine noise could potentially come out of the dipstick.

I mounted the filter to a cross member in front of the rad. It is a very solid mount. I
drilled a hole in the oil filler cap and screwed
a fitting into it,for returning the oil to the engine.

I held a piece of steel too my ear and tried
to determine where the noise is coming from. It seems to be from the pressure side. It is hard to
tell with the engine running.

Thanks bron32

Maybe the filter is gurgling (I know, a very scientific term) from the horizontal mounting.

Possibly too much air being entrained by insufficient cannister filling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back