Noise From Wheel When Turning

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know that "crack...crack...crack" like sound that comes when you make a turn. Is that the ball joint that connects the driveshaft to the wheel?

Someone told me it happens when the rubber cover gets torn and dirt and sand get in there, and the grease gets out, thus wearing the ball joint out.

Correct?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: insomniac
You know that "crack...crack...crack" like sound that comes when you make a turn. Is that the ball joint that connects the driveshaft to the wheel?

Someone told me it happens when the rubber cover gets torn and dirt and sand get in there, and the grease gets out, thus wearing the ball joint out.

Correct?

By your location, I'm guessing a front wheel drive car?
As already posted, check your CV joint. (Axle)

Originally Posted By: Spartuss
Axle
OK, axle. So, it's the ball joint, then?

CV joints connect the front drive shaft to the wheel.

Ball Joints are used on tie rod ends and to connect the A arms to the spindles

I'm amazed how my car's axle boots haven't opened up yet. They're made of a hard almost plastic material, and look as good as new. On the old car they opened up and got sanded at 100,000 miles.

Originally Posted By: Kruse

Correct?
By your location, I'm guessing a front wheel drive car?
As already posted, check your CV joint. (Axle)
Yes, front-wheel drive. But, does location determine anything, nowadays? Aren't most cars FW drive? Or, are most American makes still rear-wheel drive?

Most Japanese makes are FW drive.

"most" cars of all origins are front wheel drive - especially small and mid-sized cars. for the most part, the only RWD cars are large, performance-oriented cars: Ford Crown Vic, Corvette, Mustang, Camaro, Some BMW, Merc Benz....

In theory the boot doesn't have to be cracked for the CV joint to fail. But usually a while after the grease is thrown out, the balls start rattling inside their cage and things go downhill....

The joint can get frozen up even with a good boot also.I have seen this with a Dodge Intrepid,the joint was froze right up going into the wheel bearing.

The standard quick test for checking C/V joints is to make a hard turn [both directions] at slow speeds.
The click click crack crack when doing this indicates bad C/V joint.
A rebuilt axle is often surprisingly cheap, and you get both joints at one time. Just pop it in. A very good option.

Plus fixing the old axle is a huge waste of time,taking it apart,cleaning the parts and reinstall it.It is not worth it replacing the boots and the joints which the only option is to buy a reman axle.

If it makes noise when you're standing still and cranking the steering wheel it's more likely a ball joint or tie rod end.

If you're holding the wheel at full lock and the noise varies with road speed, then it's something axle/CV joint related.

Aren't most cars FW drive?

My quattro has a total of ten CV joints, counting the ones on the four half-axles and the ones on the propeller shaft (front-to-rear drive shaft). At over 180 miles, all CV joints and boots are still original!

Originally Posted By: moribundman
My quattro has a total of ten CV joints, counting the ones on the four half-axles and the ones on the propeller shaft (front-to-rear drive shaft). At over 180 miles, all CV joints and boots are still original!
I would hope with over 180 miles they would still be ok.
grin2.gif
But 10 of em...yikes.

It does sound like a CV joint(s) gone bad, and if so, then as said, it's just better to replace the whole half shaft(axle).

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Originally Posted By: moribundman
I would hope with over 180 miles they would still be ok.
grin2.gif

Indeed!
LOL.gif

I had some odd noises and behavior from my FWD and added the CV joint as a possibility.

It turned out the front driver's side wheel bearing was bad. So, I had both the left and right side wheel bearings replaced on the front.

That made a noticeable difference in how smoothly the vehicle now rolls.

I was going to proactively get the rear wheel bearings changed but my mechanic tells me they rarely see those go bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back