Nobody has seen Up?

Status
Not open for further replies.
One of the best movies this year so far, in my opinion. Some of the stuff was specifically tailored towards kids, like the talking dogs, but those sequences were still tolerable. Other than that the movie expanded on the excellence of all previous Pixar movies. Christopher Plummer was great as the mad old explorer, and Ed Asner was perfect as the retired ballon salesman.

So far, Pixar has not yet produced one stinker!

I saw this with my son and we both liked it. He was glued to the screen.

I agree that this is a very entertaining movie. I was fearful of another Bolt...
27.gif

Whenever you and I find any common ground, an angel begins weeping somewhere.

It's no Toy Story or even Monsters Inc., IMO. It's just okay.

Last edited:
I saw the 3D version. Was pretty good. Girlfriend says it's one of the best she's seen recently. Has a bit more of a mature/thoughtful message than I'd expect from a kiddie flick, though I suppose it may fly over kid's heads (no pun intended).

Originally Posted By: Vilan
Has a bit more of a mature/thoughtful message than I'd expect from a kiddie flick

Well, it's really not a kiddie flick, and the only thing I would be inclined to criticize is that the folks at Pixar feel they have to appeal to an audience that is to a large degree made up of children. Pixar movies are supposed to be family movies, which is somewhat of a constraint. The medium itself, animation movie, should really not make a movie automatically a kids' movie. See anime etc, yada yada.

While a Pixar movie like Toy Story is a kids' movie that is also appealing to adults, the later Pixar movies, like Wall-E and Up are really movies for anyone (who likes animation), but they are also appealing to kids. In terms of marketing, Pixar is doing very well. Creatively, they could push beyond what they have been doing by not feeling the need of having to appeal to the large, very young audience. Then again, Pixar is doing an excellent job at producing very good movies that are universally liked and not too much of a commercial/artistic compromise.

Kudos to Pixar for making a geezer the unlikely and likable hero of their movie.

The Pixar movie that I enjoyed the least, and I still liked it, was Cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back