NOACK volatility of straight weight

Anyone have any idea what the NOACK value is for straight weights? I would think they are good as there is no VII but also they could be lower quality base stocks potentially?
1621987661034.jpg

Down in the single digits, MAG1 lists there's as 5%, Peak list there's as 6.1%, seeing how they're made with thick base oil with no VII, I'd say somewhere around 5-6% is a good expectation, maybe lower for something that uses a higher quality base oil, there was one time where Pennzoil dumped excess GTL into PYB, gave it a noack lower than 5% for 10W30.

Chevron group II 600R base oil;

40C 108
100C 12.2
PP -12C
FP 270C
VI 103
SG .874
Noack 2%
I seen that but even Chevron's SAE30 is thinner than that, so if it's used in SAE30 formulations it must be blended with other thinner more volatile base oils. Probably used more so in SAE40 formulations, while MAG1 supposedly uses Exxon EHC base oils, their SAE40 formulation list the NOACK at 2.8% which would put it more in line with the base oil have only a 2% NOACK. Do the additives used in oil have a slight thickening effect that when make a base oil just on the edge of SAE30 viscosity it would make it too thick to be an SAE30 still?

Do the additives used in oil have a slight thickening effect that when make a base oil just on the edge of SAE30 viscosity it would make it too thick to be an SAE30 still?
Yes - additives are significantly thicker than base oils - viscosities vary by type but detergents and dispersants can have KV100 in the 100s. Additives are usually cut with some light base oil to improve handling, so there is always some diluent oil in your finished product as well as whatever base oils you put in there. Even an oil that is "100% PAO" will have some non-PAO base oil in it from the additives.

I seen that but even Chevron's SAE30 is thinner than that, so if it's used in SAE30 formulations it must be blended with other thinner more volatile base oils. Probably used more so in SAE40 formulations, while MAG1 supposedly uses Exxon EHC base oils, their SAE40 formulation list the NOACK at 2.8% which would put it more in line with the base oil have only a 2% NOACK. Do the additives used in oil have a slight thickening effect that when make a base oil just on the edge of SAE30 viscosity it would make it too thick to be an SAE30 still?
I think that the price point of the finished product has an influence on the formulation and base oils used. For example Chevron and other blenders
may add a "synthetic" group III to thin 600R and improve VI and cold weather performance. Going thicker without the use of VIIs, they may add PAO 460, also a high VI base stock for SAEs 40,50 & 60 mono grades.

Back