NOACK of GC

Status
Not open for further replies.
"It's a combination of both viscosity and Noack volatility that typically determines oil consumption in service."

I agree a oil with a NOACK of 20% is going to "burn" at twice the rate of a oil that is 10%.
I do not know how much volitility is a contributor to oil consumption but it is part of the equation tho.
Yes that is why that spec over the last few API upgrades has been lowered to enhance oxidation protection reduce sludge and to lower deposits in the emissions system.

bruce

These new 2.0L engines are also showing a fair amount of fuel dilution and that could contributing to the oil consumption.

TS

I sometimes wonder if oil consumption is also a result of breaking-in your car too gently? Break-in has been discussed many times before, but it would be interesting too see a comparison between hard/gentle break-in vs oil consumption.

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:
Well, I have had zero consumption with Syntec 5w40 in the very same application. I believe it was tooslick that said something about molecule size in making a 0wXX oil was to blame. I like the idea of a true synthetic and none of the readily available VW502 5w40 oils use a real synthetic base. I am starting to lean towards RL 5w40 VW 502 rating out the window.

The answer to your problems is here:

-

I use this oil in my BMW, as do alot of people from my local BMW club... they all swear by it.

It is a true synthetic group 4 oil. Is is a 5W-40 grade, which is what you are looking for. AND it meets VW 502.00 requirements. Also made in Germany... good for your v-dub.

BINGO!

A link in the post before yours and also in the other LM thread near this one. My Advance Auto Parts store carries it so maybe yours can order it. The 5W-40 is $32 for 5 liters there. 1 liter is more than 1 quart, so the price is quite good.

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
A link in the post before yours and also in the other LM thread near this one. My Advance Auto Parts store carries it so maybe yours can order it. The 5W-40 is $32 for 5 liters there. 1 liter is more than 1 quart, so the price is quite good.

Eh . . . 1L = 1.06qts . . . hardly anything to mention.

Dave

Yeah I've checked with all my Advance Auto Parts and they can't find anything in the computer....

I found 5L for $35 on the web.... sheez I could run redline for that price. Is this stuff as good as redline?

Shipping can be a killer if they don't offer incentives for large quantities. Would you be willing to try Pentosin 5W-40? It's affordable at ECS Tuning if you buy 3 or more 5 liter jugs: $103 w/ shipping for 15 liters of oil. Or maybe even buy a bunch of different products you need along with the oil to save even more on shipping.

That place has good price on the product but nail you on the shipping. For example, if you double the quantity the shipping price doubles. That's not so with ECS Tuning but they don't sell Lubromoly but both oils are well worth trying in the 2.0T since they've worked so well in oil-bruising 1.8T engines. It takes experimenting with different oils to find the one that suits you and your engine best. Pentosin is a very good candidate IMO. Have you seen the recent UOA by rpwilliams with Pentosin 5W-40? It's awesome like so many before it have been.

quote:

Originally posted by JAG:
That place has good price on the product but nail you on the shipping. For example, if you double the quantity the shipping price doubles. That's not so with ECS Tuning but they don't sell Lubromoly but both oils are well worth trying in the 2.0T since they've worked so well in oil-bruising 1.8T engines. It takes experimenting with different oils to find the one that suits you and your engine best. Pentosin is a very good candidate IMO. Have you seen the recent UOA by rpwilliams with Pentosin 5W-40? It's awesome like so many before it have been.

I hardly think that pentosin UOA has much relevance to turbocharged engines . . . it is on a 2.8L VR6, an engine that isn't very hard on oil. Also the UOAs were done with 3400mi and 5400mi . . . . hardly taxing the oil.

Also, I wouldn't recommend buying anything from ECS due to their credit card fraud issues.

Dave

quote:

Originally posted by Gilitar:

quote:

Originally posted by harrydog:

quote:

Originally posted by gtx510:
www.interautopartssd.com/liquimoly.php
These guys might do mailorder?

$33.12 per 5-liter jug if you buy a case of 4 jugs. That's not too bad, considering you don't pay the sales tax.

Agreed, but I bet they will want an arm and leg for shipping.

That's the cost including shipping.
It's $28.80 before shipping costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back