NOACK help please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
I was reading the post about NOACK by K9JADON but did not want to hijack his thread.

NOACK number is an oils ability to withstand evaporation. Lower number the better. Is this correct?

The vapours from the oil bung up the pcv system along with the intercooler and inlet manifold on a turbo diesel engine. Therefore will an oil with lower NOACK cause less problems? Are they separate issues? Incidentally I have an OM642 unit.

Forgive me if they are dumb questions.

Many thanks.

Tikka.

Lower Noack is a good thing. But don't guy oil just on that sole parameter.

Lower noack is better in my opinion but i think the temps at which noack is tested is higher than what should be seen in your engine.

The NOACK is insignificant compared to the blow by products and the oil mist in the crank case.

Yes, lower is better since it is the % that evaporates.

Theoretically yes a lower Noack can reduce issues, but as mentioned there are other larger contributors.

most in usa myself included will not know that engine but although the noack test is done at a temp of 250C the upper rings can see that + even more in a diesel, so yes low noack is important + better. true synthetic base oils group IV PAO + group V Esters that are not the watery xxW20 flavor are generally better

Hi Gents.
Thank you for the advice. I can see now that my train of thought very much over simplifies things.

Benjy.
The OM642 is a Merc' unit. Found in your Dodge Sprinters I believe.

Tikka.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back