No worries with solid lifters and GF-4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I changed the timing belt and checked the valve lash on my 1994 Toyota Corolla yesterday. With 120,000 miles and no previous valve adjustment or check before, only 4 valves were out of spec, two too loose and two too tight. The cams and shims/lifters looked spotless. Granted, you can just about push the valves open with your bare hand, but if you are running anything other than a very very high performance motor with an aftermarket cam and valve springs, I'd say there is no worry with lowered zinc in a stock engine. I did ad half a bottle of slob though when I changed the oil.
tongue.gif
By the way, this engine has spent the last 50,000 miles driving practically none stop at 75 mph/3500 rpms on the interstate.

Oh, if there were ever an engine/trans combo that needed a 6 th gear, I'm driving it! Ist gear is like BLAM, let out the clutch floored, 1st gear is OVER!! I always have a concern for letting the revs go over 3500 rpms when I'm in any gear other than 5th, then I'm like, wait, this little rat spends it's eternity at 3500 rpm!

I have a friend that has a modified Mazda MX-3 (original 5 speed manual mated to a Millenia 2.5L V6 from Japan) and there is like, maybe 100 RPM difference between 4th and 5th gear. That tranny normally is mated to a 1.8L V6, which being so small pretty much needs to live in that upper RPM range. That poor 2.5 runs about 4K RPM down the highway, even in 5th. I know that engine SEARS oil, and I told him he needs to run Redline or something lol. He said he could change some of the gearing in the tranny to lower the RPM's, but he said it would be so expensive...more than the car is worth. Oh well...
twak.gif

You worried too much Drew.

Even with reduced ZDDP level, SM oil should do just fine with Toyota engines (currently running SM oil on my wifey's Camry Vee6 with bucket lifters and "pucks").

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back