No wonder U.S.P.S. is nearing bankruptcy!

In contrast (perhaps to help their averages), I received a package from Ocala, FL two days earlier than their estimate yesterday.....In the past, I also had a small package go from Florida to Kansas City, onward to Denver where it stayed for a week, then back to Kansas City, onward to Peculiar, MO and then to me at Basehor, KS.

USPS is understaffed and hiring is hobbled by their extreme pension obligations that no other quasi-government agency has to deal with. It almost seems like it's run by a guy who has an interest in its failure.

Mail probably took circuitous routes 40 years ago before we had tracking. We just didn't know.

If we lost the USPS there'd be nothing to take its place-- no mailing an ounce across the country for under a buck, no free books-on-tape for the blind...

They are part of our infrastructure and don't need to turn a profit. They let businesses in the US thrive with such basics as getting bills paid.

And Junk mail keeps the lights on.

"they dont need to turn a profit" its attitude like that is the reason we are up to our eyeballs in debt and the goverment just keeps getting bigger and bigger. all the while the average person continues to pay more and more in taxes and fees. that's not even getting into the death by a thousand cut we've sustained when it comes to rights and liberties.

Reactions: pbm
The last one was a 107 billion dollar bailout called the Postal Service Reform Act passed last March of 2022...and there have been others in the past...They always seem to have to be bailout every handfull of years. 10 billion in 2020....

So this "bailout" which had no money change hands, but instead eliminated $107 billion of the $120 billion the USPS was on the hook for due an incredibly shortsighted funding plan in 2006 they had no choice but to enter into.

What a bunch of parasites......amirite?

I have experienced this most frequently with the USPS, though it sometimes happens with UPS and FedEx as well. I completely understand the need for shipping hubs, thus sometimes carrying packages seemingly well out-of-the-way. But in this case - PR is in no-way in the logical or even illogical shipping channel fro your area. Period.

I've had pet medications shipped to me that would rapidly get to the nearest distribution center... but then bounce back-and-forth between two post offices that do NOT deliver to my address - and it then goes back to the same distribution center to begin the treck again. Sometimes it even travels back almost to the original shipping location and starts again. Had it happen with three consecutive prescription delvieries. If finally contacted an old college classmate who has some pull at USPS and she was able to make a connection with a postmaster she knows at one of those facilities in my area - and they literally had to go out and lay hands on the package and route it to the correct delivery post office. What's interesting- they checked the label and barcode on the package - and it was correct, so they never figured out WHY - despite it happening to three consecutive packages.

The term "incompetence" seems to apply - even with the computerized systems they use.

I still don’t know why they have Saturday delivery? They can cut cost with only a 5 day delivery. I handle thousands of pounds of mail daily at my job, and most of it is flats full of junk mailers. The rest is Amazon/ebay packages.
The dropping of Saturday delivery became a hot issue over the last several years. The USPS keeps threatening it -

But AMAZON's volume of shipping carries with it a loud voice - and they objected. IN fact - the USPS has some Sunday deliveries now - almost exclusively for AMAZON...

The last one was a 107 billion dollar bailout called the Postal Service Reform Act passed last March of 2022...and there have been others in the past...They always seem to have to be bailout every handfull of years. 10 billion in 2020....
That's what happens when the U.S. Congress tries to run a package and mail delivery service.

Why is this thread still open? IMO there should be a total and automatic block on USPS threads. Pointless.

At least they didn’t lose your stuff like mine 🙁. I was really looking forward to adding items to my collection can’t even do it cause post office let the package come open because it got smashed and the items inside came out. It seems it always takes awhile because they do this exact thing too. Also since our regular mail man retired the stuff sometimes gets here as late as 9pm. It’s all a mess.

On Monday I watched our carrier park at the end of my driveway and walk to my next door neighbors house to put my wifes package in their garage. I had a feeling they had just screwed up and it was confirmed 6 hrs later when my neighbor walked over with my wifes package. It was actually more work for him to misdeliver the package than do it correctly. He was parked less than 10 ft from the green reflective sign with my address on it. :confused:

The postal service needs to modernize their delivery system.

1666789354639.jpg

The USPS would be in much better shape if they could run the business like a business without interference by our elected officials.
So their hands are tied. One major cost savings would be 5 day and no weekend deliveries or even 4 day delivery.

The USPS is not in bad shape and their rates are less expensive than UPS and Fed Ex in most all cases when delivering to a private home.
The problem is these guys interfering in USPS policy = https://www.usdebtclock.org/
(no politics)

That you can send a physical document thousands of miles away for under a buck is pretty amazing. Try that with UPS or Fedex. Raise the rates for junk mail and have 7 days a week delivery so they don't get so stressed out.

I ordered something from Australia last year that was sent to me via the Australian postal service. It arrived in LA where it was scanned in by USPS and it disappeared from there. I filed a missing package report with USPS and after weeks of not hearing anything, I went to my local post office to inquire about the "search". The Postmaster was very nice and said, "Yeah it's gone." I asked how he knew that and he said, "There is nowhere for a package to be for weeks in a USPS facility. It's either actively en route to somewhere or it's lost." I asked how often has he found a package after a missing package is reported and he said, "I get reports all the time and twice in 18 years I've actually found missing mail and it was "missing" due to a damaged label that couldn't be read without the report."

Not too reassuring.

Back