No so good GC review. The elves have called..

Status
Not open for further replies.
As most know I have my stash of Gc that I use in my "other" vehicle. My toy is my 96 Blazer. I decided to try some of my GC even though M1 5W-30 was producing very good results. Well, After putting in the required dosage the following day I noticed engine "rattle" that was not there before. Throught the week I had also seen that my fuel mileage was also down. I hoped and prayed to the elves that this was a fluke and that they would wave away the clatter in my engine. Two weeks into the green elixir I had a 5 hour trip planned and with some trpidation decided to see
how my Blazer would do. It wasn't long before I noticed my fuel gage was descending at a more rapid rate than normal(I take this same trip quite often). I arrived with my needle saying hello to the ever looming "E", where normally I am on 1/4 of a tank. I made the descision to make the change back to M1 for the return trip. I elected to try the EP flavor of the 5W-30 and my engine is once again quiet and three days later I am still on the same tank of gas.

As an elixir devotee I was quite surpised at my results. I have not done a UOA, but the remains have been safely stored. After 920 miles the same lovely color illuminated my eyes, and with a tear I departed. The elevs have called and a spanking is scheduled for Saturday
twak.gif

I noted in my 98 S10 ZR2 that startup at near freezing was a bit noisier. It may be a function of the filter (delco ultraguard gold), but it is surely also the oil (Im using GC) approach to operating viscosity.

I did not note any economy change as of yet.

JMH

While I am obviously not totally objective when it comes to the Elixer
rolleyes.gif
, I am skeptical when I hear reports of noise with the Green. I tend to believe that this oil, because it has received SO MUCH attention, and because of the magical expectations for it, gets a greater scrutiny then when an ordinary oil change is done. In other words, people "stop, look and listen" once the Green goes in whereas they probably would not even think about it after an "ordinary" oil change. I am not prepared to assert (nor do I want to assert) that D2 is not hearing what he reports or that the Green might NOT be for every engine, but I am skeptical. Regardless...
cheers.gif

Delvac 1, 5w-40--HT/HS is 4.0 Cp
GC, 0w-30 -------HT/HS is 3.6 Cp
M1, 5w-30--------HT/HS is 3.1 Cp

Strictly an effect of increased "intrafluid" friction, or viscous drag if you prefer ....

Suggested reading: "Fluid Mechanics For Dummies"

It was the 04 batch. The 05 was returned. I did not over-scrutinize as I use this oil in another vehicle. Everything changed, vehicle power, fuel mileage, and the noise is not at startup but at any type of acceleration. It is not like I put Mobil 1 in and hoped for less noise, it just isn't there. GC is just not for my Blazer.

I am not an expert, but I am not new to engines by any means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back