"no silicate' antifreeze 4 japanese cars? a myth?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by edwardh1:
gms initial design of dexcool that would clog when exposer to air was strange.
Almost like they never field tested it, or Havoline never field tested it.
But then I guess they did field test it - on consumers - cheaper quicker faster.

I suspect that they only tested it in well maintained cooling systems and not over a period of years.

Now they are so deep into it, that to change would be to admit that they created a problem and open theirselves to more lawsuits.

Instead, the party line is. "You let some air into your cooling system so it was supposed to turn to an ugly mass of rusty jelly."

My Dexcool speced car is going to get Prestone "GM Dexcool approved" long life coolant in a couple of days. It uses Sodium 2-ethylhexanoate instead of Potasium 2-ethylhexanoate like the true Dexcools. I don't know that the Potasium 2-* is the problem, but it seems like it might be.

what would be wrong with regular antifreeze (silicates?) and then just change every 2 years. Or Toyota red?

I compare the Dexcool mess to the OMC Johnson/Evinrude outboard motor oil injection system screwup of the 80s. The injection pumps would fail (vacuum operated) some of Japanese were gear operated - which do you think worked best?
Long past when the factory had come out with rev 4 to the oil pumps, dealers here were telling people, "if you go offshore, pre mix the oil in your gas tank - do not trust the new oil pump design to get you home."
Thats why I used a non Dexcool antifreeze. Maybe in another 2 years. or a big study by someone.

quote:

what would be wrong with regular antifreeze (silicates?) and then just change every 2 years. Or Toyota red?

I get the impression that silicates sometimes come out of solution and are hard on water pump seals. I've also heard claims of damage from silicates in aluminum engine parts from somewhat credible sources. Silicates seem like a good thing to avoid.

Technically speaking, the Prestone long life "GM Dexcool Approved" stuff I use isn't Dexcool. It has a different chemistry, so I have already weaned my car away from Dexcool.

OTOH, there are a bazillion cars running around with the green stuff and most of them don't have problems.

[ January 20, 2004, 08:14 PM: Message edited by: XS650 ]

quote:

Anyone know what Jiffly Lube uses?

More than likely? A standard prestone type coolant in cars with green coolant and a Dexcool eq. in cars with non-green coolants.

Even when I have work done, I bring my own fluids...

The answer I got from Zerex

Thank you for your question! Conventional antifreeze has a pH between 10
and 11. Zerex G-05 has a pH between 8 and 9 , which considered a lower pH.
Zerex G-05 is not an acid. This antifreeze can be used for your Nissan.

quote:

The answer I got from Zerex

Thank you for your question! Conventional antifreeze has a pH between 10
and 11. Zerex G-05 has a pH between 8 and 9 , which considered a lower pH.
Zerex G-05 is not an acid. This antifreeze can be used for your Nissan.

That's a puzzling response. A pH of 7 is neutral. 8-9 is a mild base and 10 to 11 is a stronger base.

Why mention acid when the G-05 is closer to being acid than conventional Anti-Freeze?

I think closer to neutral is better as long as it holds that value, I just wonder what point the Zerex marketeer was trying to make?

Guys, for what it's worth, my '96 Cherokee has been running Prestone Extended Life coolant since 1997 with no problems at all.
I'm not sure if the formulation was the same when I first switched over, but I have seen no problem with anything.
Of course, I usually change it evry year or two....

From the national association of radiator service association:
"Advocates say tests show silicates last longer than was commonly believed. And with the latest seal materials, they actually do a better job of protecting the water pump, because they both resist cavitation erosion-corrosion and "repair" any that occurs."
But The Japanese do not use silicates.
Who is right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back