No rear headrests on some American vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm curious why to this day some US cars have no rear headrests? I take it the US government hasn't mandated them but do they just ignore the risk of whiplash or one's neck snapping? Even the ones that are built in can be too short for a 6`0+ person (Chrysler 300).

Reason being, I was driving a few of the Tauruses and Focuses in our fleet today and was suprised to see nothing on the rear deck. For comparison the Camry's, Corolla's, Forenza's, etc. in our fleet have 3 adjustable headrests for the rear passengers.

The G6 I was in the other day at least has adjustable headrests on the side but no middle one...so I guess tough luck to the person who doesn't get the window seat. I'm suprised this isn't a talked about issue.

The front headrests on older domestics are a joke. They are designed to be in the lowered position, the "neck snapper" position. When is the lst time you saw them adjusted into the correct position?

There are no rear headrests on my dad's 2006 Saturn Ion, but there are some nice ones on my mom's 2003 Chevy Malibu. I thought it was strange, too.

Having headrest on the rear may block rear view vision a little maybe thats one reason. Of course when people sit in the rear you'll see their head in your mirror. The person who gets the middle seat has to also deal with that bump thing on the center of the foot well.

The headrests on my Marquis are a joke also. When I tilt my head back against it, I am face-up to the car roof. You'd think such a big car could accomodate any sized person. I know headrests were mandated by the federal government around 1968 to prevent whiplash. I'm curious what guidelines were used to implement this mandate.

On the other hand, my 95 Mercedes E-class has headrest that are perfectly fitted.

One of the automotive seating suppliers is a client of mine. They told me an interesting feature where during rear impact, modern seats are designed so the occupant is pressed into to seat back, so as to prevent the occupant from sliding upward in the seat. This feature is to prevent whiplash.

the early year 2001 F150's didn't have rear seat headrests....then fast stops caused too many people to bust the rear window out with their heads snapping back....the later 2001's, like mine, have two headrests....

Typical safety issue ignored by many mfgs. Annoying really.

Just like the toggles for electric windows. Many kids suffocated by sticking their head out the window and kneeling on the switch. Most mfg changed the design to prevent that years ago. Congress finally passed a law, mandating the change a couple years ago. US automakers complained that it would cost them money to fix. It is just annoying... I have a 95 mitsu that has the modern toggles where you have to pull up on the switch to make the windows go up. US mfgs were still using the old style up to 2004 I believe.

There I did it. Converted this into a US vs Foriegn auto makers thread.

My Ford Contour had the switches on the side of the door, not the armrest, so it'd be pretty difficult to accidentally hit one of them. People complained about the difficult to reach switches, but I never had an issue with them.

Quote:

I wonder how long before this turns into a domestic vs. import thread?

That was not my intention but don't you find this to be an issue that in 2007 there are still cars that lack a head restraint for the rear passengers?

How about cars with RED rear turn signals? And no side markers? Amber turn signals stand out much better and with our crazy freeways, side marker signals can help everyone.

Quote:

How about cars with RED rear turn signals? And no side markers? Amber turn signals stand out much better and with our crazy freeways, side marker signals can help everyone.

I also agree on the sidemarkers, I'm very happy my car has them.

I'm annoyed by "modern" turn signal designs as well. I often run into an erratic braker who makes me slow down because I think he's merging into my lane. Mandated amber signals would take care of this issue. There's also an abundance of small front turn signals set into the headlights. Those are impossible to see during the day, and I know at least some manufacturers are aware of the problem. Chrysler tried to fix it by turning off the headlight on the side of the turn signal that's blinking.
pat2.gif

Last edited:
icon_hijack.gif

There are many safety items that would be of minimal or even no additional cost to manufacturers that we don't get.

Sorry 'bout that. Back on to headrest ranting
spankme.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back