No reading on dipstick. Amsoil 5w-20

Status
Not open for further replies.
Amsoil advertises UP TO 25,000 miles. The key phrase is "Up To". There may be certain engines with large sumps doing hwy miles that might make it. I believe that most would not doing the driving most of us do. I doubt DI engines would make it past 12k. Personally, I would not run any oil beyond the maximum OEM OCI without a UOA to verify it.

JMHO

If the op is still around.
Another way to look at this is because he used amsoil, whatever damage on his car due to poor ownership/ignorance and from running on low to no oil was minimized.
You recall all those commercials where they run an engine with no oil. And it runs fine for awhile just on the residues until it seizes up. So at least slightly more protected rhen if he had regular oil.

Im surprised there was no idiot light to let him know low oil, isn't that pretty muxh standard?

The fact that his efforts changed his oci and would've been better off not using regular oil is just the irony of the situation. Like people who decide to wash their car with dishsoap and a scrubbrush and doing more damage to the paint then benefit.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wjason777
Crank the car up and checked again. it still read full when running.

Hilarious.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Why would you go 10,000 miles without looking at your oil level? Just because you overpaid on oil and because it's Amsoil doesn't mean it's not going to burn any more than any other oil. Your car has high mileage and you've neglected to keep up on checking it's oil level. Change the filter and run it for 3,000 miles checking the level frequently then drain it. Your car is an oil burner. Don't pay so much for oil (Amsoil) if it's just gonna burn it up.

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter.

Oh wow man.. if I am reading this.. like I think I'm reading... A lot of people have poked fun at this statement but I don't feel like anyone has spelled it out for you... Ok so here it goes: 25k miles does NOT mean it won't burn off for 25k miles.. it just means it can be ran that long. You should check your oil every week.. either a cold engine or one that hasbeen off for 15 minutes.

(Surprisingly you aren't the first person I've seen have this misconception.. why do people think this? smh.. our 13' Kia uses NO oil, but religiously it gets checked every week..)

I love these guarantees they all sound great but how many loopholes do you have to dodge and how mwny hoops do you have to jump through?

The original post is a troll post, IMHO. In 10,000 miles I would probably check my oil a good 20 times.

Trolls are a waste of time.

He registered on 08/01/14. That should tell you.

I have seen something similar in a car I was going to junk out since it got unstable on the freeway and not worth fixing since it was due to serious rust. It used 1 quart every 2000 miles. I decided to experiment and see how long it would run without an oil change or adding oil. I used it for delivering pizzas and local errands. It was a 91 Metro with a 3cyl engine. The oil had 3000 miles on it and was at the full mark when I started. After 2000 miles it was a quart low. After 3000 miles it was another quart low. After 3500 miles it stopped showing on the dipstick. At 4000 miles it started ticking. at 4500 it started knocking and at 4700 miles it was ticking really loud and knocking, But the suspension broke and I junked it.

What I learned from that was nothing I didn't already know. The lower the oil gets, The faster it burns off. And it get considerably faster the lower it gets. So I can see if his car is using a little oil, it could loose a significant amount in 10k miles. But it could easily have been only a quart low at 5000 miles. Which is typical of most high mileage cars. I'd be willing to bet the car likely sees a bit of spirited driving. I know what that does for the oil in my cars.

Also if it was that low and took that long to make noise, I would say the Amsoil was doing it's job fairly well considering the extreme conditions it was working under.

My comment on the above is that your conclusion that oil burns faster is a bit of a speculative leap, unless you refilled back up ypu can't tell how low it is. Most sumps don't have perfectly vertical walls so the dipstick isnt a linear reading. The bottom inch on the stick fills faster than the next and so on. Think of it like filling a swimming pool with a deep end

Last edited:
Why would you go 10,000 miles without looking at your oil level? Just because you overpaid on oil and because it's Amsoil doesn't mean it's not going to burn any more than any other oil. Your car has high mileage and you've neglected to keep up on checking it's oil level. Change the filter and run it for 3,000 miles checking the level frequently then drain it. Your car is an oil burner. Don't pay so much for oil (Amsoil) if it's just gonna burn it up.

What.

Because its suppose to be a 25kmile oil and filter.

No. It's an "up to 25000 mile oil",and a 15000 mile oil if severe service.

First off if this is the first time using amsoil in your hemi I've found that when changing brands oil consumption may increase for an interval or 2. It's common and reported here often.

I have an 06 RT charger,same engine except you got 10 more ponies.
I'm going to give you some advice.
Buy good oil on sale. I'm a fan of amsoil. I like the products however I cannot justify paying more for oil when I'm changing it at 10000 miles regardless.
Extended intervals are not to be just jumped into blindly. You need to do used oil analysis to insure the oil is serviceable for that long.
But if you adding a quart every 2000/3000 miles then I have no doubt the oil in the sump will last that long because you are replenishing additives and tbn with every top up.
Buy Walmart rollback synthetics and stock up when it's cheap. And change every 10000 miles. Simple,easy,cheap.

And give your head a shake. Just cause the bottle says 25000 miles doesn't mean you don't have to add any oil for that long.
I cannot fathom that you ran 10000 miles without even checking the oil. Truly absurd.

Every Amsoil SS bottle has a peel back label with important info.

I Quote "Check oil level regularly to maintain proper levels" is the last point made.

The #1 cause of oil related failures is [lack of oil].....Hello!!

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
I love these guarantees they all sound great but how many loopholes do you have to dodge and how mwny hoops do you have to jump through?

LOL, no kidding. I guess it's okay/good that they have them, but there is a lot to go thru to get coverage. It's easier to check your oil every couple of weeks and change it based on real info such as UOA's if extending is your intent. Every engine design is different. That's where the "UP TO" comes into play from the oil company's perspective..

In any case, not checking your oil level ain't covered.

...I checked the oil. Coulnt get a oil reading....
I cranked the car and then checked it again, the dip stick gave me a reading of full...

.... I shut the car of and checked the dip stick, nothing...
... Crank the car up and checked again. it still read full when running. ...

Sounds like you don't know how to check oil-level. You certainly don't know when you should be checking it. Not sure you should be doing your own oil changes. Maybe sell the car and get a bicycle . . . .

I realize this is rather personal, but how does a person even make coffee in the morning if you don't check your oil in 10,000 miles? I mean come on, Amsoil is/isn't "25,000 mile oil", but what did you have in there before the Amsoil? How often did you check that oil?

And how do you get to a boutique oil from whatever was being used before, and still not think to check the oil?

How long have you had a car? How old are you? Do you ever open the hood to do anything such as add washer fluid? Check the tire pressure? Anything??

Originally Posted By: kschachn

How long have you had a car? How old are you? Do you ever open the hood to do anything such as add washer fluid? Check the tire pressure? Anything??

More & more, oil level is sensed and reported to the dashboard, like tire pressure these days. An oil level sensor warning light could be all we need to notify us. Hood opening required even less!

Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro
Originally Posted By: kschachn

More & more, oil level is sensed and reported to the dashboard, like tire pressure these days. An oil level sensor warning light could be all we need to notify us. Hood opening required even less!

The oil light on most vehicles comes on due to low or no oil pressure. It isn't going to tell you when you're down a qt. Many engines have been destroyed due to this misconception.

Originally Posted By: BrianC
Originally Posted By: ElastoHydro

The oil light on most vehicles comes on due to low or no oil pressure. It isn't going to tell you when you're down a qt. Many engines have been destroyed due to this misconception.

Wrong. Newer vehicles from GM, and other makes, now have oil level sensors. (You're talking about the pressure sensors, a different animal.) BMWs have had an oil level sensor, either just a threshold low sensor or graduated levels, for about 14 years now.
gm_oil_level_sensor_plug.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Wrong. Newer vehicles from GM, and other makes, now have oil level sensors. (You're talking about the pressure sensors, a different animal.) BMWs have had an oil level sensor, either just a threshold low sensor or graduated levels, for about 14 years now.

Yes, some vehicles may have a level sensors. But I would venture to say most vehicles on the road today do not and only indicate low or no oil pressure. And as an owner/driver, it would be good to know how their vehicle was equipped. (read manual) Obviously, the OP's apparently did not, or it didn't work.

The vehicles I drive daily (motorcoaches) have both oil and coolant level sensors, that will shut the engine to an idle and then totally down if either low coolant or oil is detected. So I am aware of them.

Either way, nothing beats physically checking the oil a minimum of once a month (each fuel up is better) in your car regardless of what fancy indicators it may have, or what oil is in the sump.

Quote:

Yes, some vehicles may have a level sensors. But I would venture to say most vehicles on the road today do not and only indicate low or no oil pressure. And as an owner/driver, it would be good to know how their vehicle was equipped. (read manual) Obviously, the OP's apparently did not, or it didn't work.

The vehicles I drive daily (motorcoaches) have both oil and coolant level sensors, that will shut the engine to an idle and then totally down if either low coolant or oil is detected. So I am aware of them.

Either way, nothing beats physically checking the oil a minimum of once a month (each fuel up is better) in your car regardless of what fancy indicators it may have, or what oil is in the sump.

I disagree. With the new-ish oil level sensors increasingly in use, one can wait for the level warning light to come on. It comes on when its just over a quart low, which is still plenty of time for the driver to put a quart in at that time. Keep 1/2 quart in the trunk to be safe in case on a trip. Timesaver, and it also catches leaks before they get too severe. Still, its good to open the hood and take a look around. BMW agrees with me, as there are no dipsticks on BMWs one engines made within the last 8 years (except some V8 ones).

Originally Posted By: route66mike

Quote:

I disagree. With the new-ish oil level sensors increasingly in use, one can wait for the level warning light to come on. It comes on when its just over a quart low, which is still plenty of time for the driver to put a quart in at that time. Keep 1/2 quart in the trunk to be safe in case on a trip. Timesaver, and it also catches leaks before they get too severe. Still, its good to open the hood and take a look around. BMW agrees with me, as there are no dipsticks on BMWs one engines made within the last 8 years (except some V8 ones).

You can't be serious.
BMW is removing any and all dipsticks and whatnot so that the owner must take the vehicle in to them for service. If you believe otherwise I've got a bridge to sell you.
And I find it truly laughable that a person would rather depend on technology that can fail,to tell them their oil is low rather than physically check themselves.
And think about it. If your driving around with the oil a quart low for any extended period of time the oil is accumulating more contaminants and acid per fluid ounce than if it was full,which inevitably kills the oils tbn much faster and means the oil will not last as long as it could potentially had the sump been full.
Firstly I check all my fluids in all my engines weekly.
And even though none of them consume any fluids I check them anyways. Call it my need to be informed.

You know I've read and heard much about owners of BMW's that just fly blindly and end up, due to their own personal negligence,with engines that are sludged up because they never check the condition if the oil and figure that the oem recommended service interval is just sort of a guideline and not really set in stone.
I never truly believed that there were people out there who just drove,never really monitoring the condition of their fluids and just took it into the dealer when there's an issue.
Low oil is an issue regardless of what you might think.
If a 5 quart sump is a quart low that's 20% low,which means the interval requires shortening by 20% at the very least.
I'm in awe here. And now I understand all I've read and heard.
If there's no idiot lights on drive on right?
Hillarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back