No "quick struts" for my vehicle?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use the LS/LTZ quick struts.

Are they physically the same? Would a non-SS quick strut bolt up perfectly to the SS? If so, then you can use the quick struts with no problem.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
My spring compressor clamps to the spring with u bolts. I didn't feel that it was unsafe at any time.

I agree! I bought mine at Harbor Freight for $10 years ago and have used them many times.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Just use the LS/LTZ quick struts.

Are they physically the same? Would a non-SS quick strut bolt up perfectly to the SS? If so, then you can use the quick struts with no problem.

NO these are NOT compatible. They all specifically state "not for 18 inch wheels." The rims are different sizes, therefore the springs are different sizes. It will cause problems.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
So I want to replace the struts on my '08 Impala SS. It has the original factory 18" rims. I will NOT compress a spring myself. Never done it before and don't feel comfortable guessing.

I can appreciate someone knowing their limits and what they can and want to do mechanically. I will suggest however that if you have the ability to safely raise the car and remove the strut assemblies, you have the skill to compress the springs, its actually the easier part of the job. The springs do have a lot of stored energy, so does a raised vehicle. Once you have the strut assemblies off the car, its only an additional 10-15 minutes to compress and swap the struts. I would suggest new strut bearings for the front. JHZR2 has a write up he did recently performing this.

Originally Posted By: spasm3
I can appreciate someone knowing their limits and what they can and want to do mechanically.
This is my golden rule when repairing vehicles. If I am 100% confident in what I am doing, it is impossible to make a mistake. If I am less than 100% confident, I don't attempt to make the repair (at least on other people's cars). This way I can't screw up.

So I have done some research, and have 2 options.

1. I can take the strut assemblies to a shop (thanks eljefino, Trav, Hokiefyd, and Astro14 for the idea), which the price is $375-440 to have them swap the struts. But I eat the entire part cost, and have to remove and install the assemblies. There is no guarantee on the labor, but I get the warranty (usually lifetime) from the part I purchase.

2. The best full service price I found is $850 for them to install Monroes (not sure what type) and includes a 4 wheel alignment. I can use a different brand, but will pay extra if the cost is higher. They said if I went with KYBs, the cost would increase to $1,000. With this option I lose the lifetime warranty. They only cover 12months/12k parts and labor.

What would you do?

It costs how much to get a shop to swap out the assemblies??? That's like, 30 minutes worth of work per pair with a wall mounted compressor, at most.

I'd shop around a bit if I were you.

The shop wants to charge $375 or more just to swap the springs over to the new struts, NOT including the cost of the parts OR removing/reinstalling the strut assemblies from the car?!?

Dude, I had a shop swap my two front springs to my new struts and they didn't charge me anything! They did it for free! Granted, I work for the local Napa and we do a lot of business with them and have an ongoing relationship, but even if I was just some schmuck they had never met, they probably would've done it for about $20 and a case of Bud Light. Find a different shop ASAP.

Well, this is why I turn to BITOG for advice...
thumbsup2.gif

$300 for swapping assemblies = unacceptable. Got it.

I didn't spend much time shopping for this option, I was more focused on the whole package. It doesn't help when I have never put shocks or struts on ANY vehicle before, because I've never kept one or wanted to keep one long enough. So the crash course continues...

On a side note, what needs to be replaced and what should be re-used? I'm assuming at least the spring can be re-used. Considering it is creaking, I presume any rubber parts should be replaced.

So I have done some research, and have 2 options.

1. I can take the strut assemblies to a shop (thanks eljefino, Trav, Hokiefyd, and Astro14 for the idea), which the price is $375-440 to have them swap the struts. But I eat the entire part cost, and have to remove and install the assemblies. There is no guarantee on the labor, but I get the warranty (usually lifetime) from the part I purchase.

2. The best full service price I found is $850 for them to install Monroes (not sure what type) and includes a 4 wheel alignment. I can use a different brand, but will pay extra if the cost is higher. They said if I went with KYBs, the cost would increase to $1,000. With this option I lose the lifetime warranty. They only cover 12months/12k parts and labor.

What would you do?

Yeah these shops didn't listen to you and just quoted from their computers. You got an idiot service writer who just knows how to look up "book times".

"uh huh, uh huh, struts, uh huh."

Even worse, IDK if Monroe makes a strut for the SS, you could have gotten a quote for the regular model, which they'll go through all the work and put your big rims on and have them rub then stand there scratching and wondering.

Well, this is why I turn to BITOG for advice...
thumbsup2.gif

I didn't spend much time shopping for this option, I was more focused on the whole package. It doesn't help when I have never put shocks or struts on ANY vehicle before, because I've never kept one or wanted to keep one long enough. So the crash course continues...

On a side note, what needs to be replaced and what should be re-used? I'm assuming at least the spring can be re-used. Considering it is creaking, I presume any rubber parts should be replaced.

This isn't something I've ever looked to pay a shop to do, but I can't imagine that anyone would charge you more than $25 per strut assembly.

Exactly what parts need to be replaced depends on the car in question. On most vehicles there's a rubber piece that sits between the spring and the spring seat on the strut that's a good idea to replace (typically called "insulators"). There's a bearing at the top of the strut that probably needs to be replaced. Some cars have rubber strut tops between the top of the spring and the chassis of the car that should be inspected or replaced. Then there's the plastic piece that hangs over the exposed portion of the strut shaft, which is occasionally a single piece integrated with the upper rubber insulator.

Your best bet is to look at an exploded diagram of the suspension assembly if you can find one. Autozone might have one for your car, I know they do for my Camry, which has been useful in identifying exactly what I need to buy before tearing into the car.

Also take care to identify any single use nuts, stretch bolts, or crush washers that might be in there.

Originally Posted By: Olas
just stop and think for a minute...when the car is on its wheels, the springs are compressed.
undo the top mounts then lift it, decompressing tbe spring as you lift. thefloor below and the vehicle upabove are sure to stopthespring if anything sketchy happens..

DO NOT DO THIS.....EVER
crazy2.gif
spankme2.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
The shop wants to charge $375 or more just to swap the springs over to the new struts, NOT including the cost of the parts OR removing/reinstalling the strut assemblies from the car?!?

I have a guy here that charges $100 for complete dis-assembly and reassembly of all 4. He has the wall mounted compression set up.

Last edited:

Absolutely.. I paid $40 to get two done.

I replace everything except the spring. Mounts, nuts, and rubber insulators. Make sure you bring everything with if you are having someone do them, as they will need to be swapped while the spring is off. I even replace the bolts @ the knuckle when available.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back