No politics- How’s your 401K doing for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Good enough where I've instructed our investment folks to take some of the gains and move to less aggressive vehicles. If I feel I reached a good place with an investment, I usually take some of it off the table.

I've done the same thing the past few months locking in some gains.
At my age I have enough in the ‘tank' to make it to the finish line and then some.

I still help my sons with their investment planning.

Originally Posted by Astro14
"When I am older" is a rationalization enabled by that ignorance, and a plan doomed to failure.

You have no idea...
Here in Silicon Valley, over the past 30 years we have been on an incredible ride.
I know a lotta prople who made $100K (or more) for many years; even bought houses when they were cheaper.
They spent it all (maybe not all), pulled equity outta their homes, and looked really good doing it.
Now they are older, and not sure what's next.
Sell their home, which should have been paid for, and moving to TX or wherever. OR and WA are now too expensive.

I drove used Hondas and Toyota pickups. Invested AT LEAST 30% of my paycheck.
Worked hard and garnered stock options which I never sold.
Now I can drive whatever I want.
I won't tell you about my properties and investments. Crazy...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Astro14
"When I am older" is a rationalization enabled by that ignorance, and a plan doomed to failure.

You have no idea...
Here in Silicon Valley, over the past 30 years we have been on an incredible ride.
I know a lotta prople who made $100K (or more) for many years; even bought houses when they were cheaper.
They spent it all (maybe not all), pulled equity outta their homes, and looked really good doing it.
Now they are older, and not sure what's next.
Sell their home, which should have been paid for, and moving to TX or wherever. OR and WA are now too expensive.

I drove used Hondas and Toyota pickups. Invested AT LEAST 30% of my paycheck.
Worked hard and garnered stock options which I never sold.
Now I can drive whatever I want.
I won't tell you about my properties and investments. Crazy...

That's very true for a lot of areas booming with tech, as well as high appreciation in properties.

Maybe if you are feeling good, share a bit about real estate investments too? Silicone valley is very brutal in that aspect
thumbsup2.gif

YTD through November 30, I'm sitting at 22.78%:
51% S&P Index Fund
27% foreign growth
18% intermediate term bond fund
4% fixed

51 now and hope to retire in the 60-62 range, Lord willing. My employer also provides a pension, so holding out hope I can stay there til the end.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Must be nice to be a millionaire.
smile.gif

Anyone can be a millionaire.

Take a penny and double it each day. In less than a month you will have a million dollars.

Mr Spock.

Originally Posted by Malo83
Any advice for a just retired needing to move my 401k to an IRA.

If you have a favorite mutual fund company you can call them. They will do pretty much all the work for you. What you are considering is called a rollover IRA.

If you don't have a favorite then any of the big names will help. Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab etc.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by Malo83
Any advice for a just retired needing to move my 401k to an IRA.

If you have a favorite mutual fund company you can call them. They will do pretty much all the work for you. What you are considering is called a rollover IRA.

If you don't have a favorite then any of the big names will help. Vanguard, Fidelity, Charles Schwab etc.

Ditto for the above. I personally like Fidelity as they have a 2% rebate on everything Visa card. Plus I also like to walk into their retail store but all the major players have them. Then you can do all the paperwork in person and they basically do everything for you, you just sign the forms.

smile.gif

No kidding. That said, you get what you work for, so unless poster is a trust fund baby, I ain't jelly, just proud of 'em!

Originally Posted by Ws6
smile.gif

No kidding. That said, you get what you work for, so unless poster is a trust fund baby, I ain't jelly, just proud of 'em!

That shows his wise investment game plan over 20+ years.

Too many younger folks complain about having no money to put in a 401K or IRA.... but have money to squander on unnecessary crap and silly things.

My Gen Z nephew loves to go out and have a good time but doesn't realize he is blowing through lots of cash that could be investing.

My final results for 2019 are in. As much as the whole year did well, the last quarter was exceptional. Spread out as follows

51% S&P Index Fund
27% foreign growth
18% intermediate term bond fund
4% fixed

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Ws6
smile.gif

That shows his wise investment game plan over 20+ years.

Too many younger folks complain about having no money to put in a 401K or IRA.... but have money to squander on unnecessary crap and silly things.

My Gen Z nephew loves to go out and have a good time but doesn't realize he is blowing through lots of cash that could be investing.

I'm paying stuff off before I invest otherwise and stuff is my investment. It can later be sold.

Originally Posted by Ws6

I'm paying stuff off before I invest otherwise and stuff is my investment. It can later be sold.

I would humbly suggest doing both. Make time work for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back