No Pain Free Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
By PETER SCHIFF
As recession fears cause the nation to embrace greater state control of the economy and unimaginable federal deficits, one searches in vain for debate worthy of the moment. Where there should be an historic clash of ideas, there is only blind resignation and an amorphous queasiness that we are simply sweeping the slouching beast under the rug.

With faith in the free markets now taking a back seat to fear and expediency, nearly the entire political spectrum agrees that the federal government must spend whatever amount is necessary to stabilize the housing market, bail out financial firms, liquefy the credit markets, create jobs and make the recession as shallow and brief as possible. The few who maintain free-market views have been largely marginalized.

Taking the theories of economist John Maynard Keynes as gospel, our most highly respected contemporary economists imagine a complex world in which economics at the personal, corporate and municipal levels are governed by laws far different from those in effect at the national level.
Individuals, companies or cities with heavy debt and shrinking revenues instinctively know that they must reduce spending, tighten their belts, pay down debt and live within their means. But it is axiomatic in Keynesianism that national governments can create and sustain economic activity by injecting printed money into the financial system. In their view, absent the stimuli of the New Deal and World War II, the Depression would never have ended.

On a gut level, we have a hard time with this concept. There is a vague sense of smoke and mirrors, of something being magically created out of nothing. But economics, we are told, is complicated.

It would be irresponsible in the extreme for an individual to forestall a personal recession by taking out newer, bigger loans when the old loans can't be repaid. However, this is precisely what we are planning on a national level.

I believe these ideas hold sway largely because they promise happy, pain-free solutions. They are the economic equivalent of miracle weight-loss programs that require no dieting or exercise. The theories permit economists to claim mystic wisdom, governments to pretend that they have the power to dispel hardship with the whir of a printing press, and voters to believe that they can have recovery without sacrifice.

As a follower of the Austrian School of economics I believe that market forces apply equally to people and nations. The problems we face collectively are no different from those we face individually. Belt tightening is required by all, including government.

Governments cannot create but merely redirect. When the government spends, the money has to come from somewhere. If the government doesn't have a surplus, then it must come from taxes. If taxes don't go up, then it must come from increased borrowing. If lenders won't lend, then it must come from the printing press, which is where all these bailouts are headed. But each additional dollar printed diminishes the value those already in circulation. Something cannot be effortlessly created from nothing.Similarly, any jobs or other economic activity created by public-sector expansion merely comes at the expense of jobs lost in the private sector. And if the government chooses to save inefficient jobs in select private industries, more efficient jobs will be lost in others. As more factors of production come under government control, the more inefficient our entire economy becomes. Inefficiency lowers productivity, stifles competitiveness and lowers living standards.

If we look at government market interventions through this pragmatic lens, what can we expect from the coming avalanche of federal activism?

By borrowing more than it can ever pay back, the government will guarantee higher inflation for years to come, thereby diminishing the value of all that Americans have saved and acquired. For now the inflationary tide is being held back by the countervailing pressures of bursting asset bubbles in real estate and stocks, forced liquidations in commodities, and troubled retailers slashing prices to unload excess inventory. But when the dust settles, trillions of new dollars will remain, chasing a diminished supply of goods. We will be left with 1970s-style stagflation, only with a much sharper contraction and significantly higher inflation.

The good news is that economics is not all that complicated. The bad news is that our economy is broken and there is nothing the government can do to fix it. However, the free market does have a cure: it's called a recession, and it's not fun, easy or quick. But if we put our faith in the power of government to make the pain go away, we will live with the consequences for generations.

Mr. Schiff is president of Euro Pacific Capital and author of "The Little Book of Bull Moves in Bear Markets" (Wiley, 2008).

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123033898448336541.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Now we need to be conservative?

Whatever they do, they need to get something lasting for the buck. Infrastructure ..etc. If they just put more coins into the music machine ..then it's just another scam with the same financiers being the string pullers. I want to spit on them.

I've said it here a bazillion times: the average private citizen can not live and act in an economic sense, like the federal government does. So what makes anyone think that on the global economic stage, where economies are becoming much more interdependent and competitive with the USA, we (ie, the federal government and the economy as a whole) can continue acting and living the way we do? ie, spending money we don't have.

21.gif

Oz had a "future fund", cash reserves that were to be invested for the future, which they started lending to banks long before the sub prime hit (Opes Prime was the key down here). $20B p.a. surplus.

They've chucked the whole lot out in essence. Nearly every family got a grand per child (not mine, or any of my workmates), as did pensioners and carers (not self funded retirees). Lots of new TVs.

If they'd have taken that $20B, and built nukes, hydros, water diversions...anything...it would have been far more stimulating, with labour moving to regional areas to build the stuff, spending money in the towns on food booze and accommodation.

Instead straight down to the homewares place and 50% of it straight out of the country.

I think credit should be limited to only buying homes, cars, and college loans. other than that, everything should be paid with cash. if you don't have the money for it, don't buy it. sad, but some of these people have to be put in check. no more keeping up with the Jones's.

Quote:
If they'd have taken that $20B, and built nukes, hydros, water diversions...anything...it would have been far more stimulating, with labour moving to regional areas to build the stuff, spending money in the towns on food booze and accommodation.

Exactly. Something that, if nothing else, carries itself in the future. Not something that has an obsolescence rate of 18months to 5 years. You don't spend 30 year accumulations on 5 minute items.

That was the sure fired folly of home equity loans. New roof? New kitchen ..a bath or two more? Sure. All things that will probably manage to last long enough for you to pay the added debt off. But to go out and load up on electronics ..clear up your 36month consumer debt ..and put a new car in the lot ..and refinance it on a 30 year rate? Pretty foolish if you ask me ..no matter what interest rate you're paying over the short term.

You can't run on after burners indefinitely. Sooner or later you have to run out of fuel.

The US had a 'future fund', social security. At first the contributions were saved in an account. In the 1960's it became far too attractive to leave alone. It was spent on LBJ's great society programs. Now social security is a bunch of IOUs.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
The US had a 'future fund', social security. At first the contributions were saved in an account. In the 1960's it became far too attractive to leave alone. It was spent on LBJ's great society programs. Now social security is a bunch of IOUs.

well, what about all this social security I'm paying now. I got another 36 years before I can collect. I'm FUBARED?

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

well, what about all this social security I'm paying now. I got another 36 years before I can collect. I'm FUBARED?

Yes. Whatever you pay now, is going out to the people that are collecting now and whatever else the Government wants to spend it on. Gov is about 57 TRILLION behind on forecast future payments.
Makes the current "crisis" look like a walk in the park, eh?
But don't worry, the Fed will print plenty of money so you and I might get something, it's just that the money we get will be worth next to nothing...along with all the money that you have saved or that is still remaining in a 401K. Sounds great, right!
Nothing to worry about at all though...these handful of people in power know what's best for the country and everyone in it...
frown.gif

Quote:

Instead straight down to the homewares place and 50% of it straight out of the country.

All of the resources required to build/make nukes, hydros, water diversion, towns, food, booze and accommodations sourced strictly in OZ?
How much would it cost to move significant numbers of people to work at those places? And then move them somewhere else for the next "stimulus" project?

Last edited:
Schiff is right on. Under Keynes' system, you have to remove money from the system (assuming you aren't trying to tank your own currency or borrowing) in order to spend it on what the government deems "stimulus". This is simply redistribution, not growth.

The "note" aspect to Social Security was simple. If you put the revenue in a sequestered account, it would be automatically eaten up by inflation. The only way to assure the value of it was to "not borrow" money to spend and use it. T-Bills are no different in concept.

The argument NOW is NOW that everyone has reaped the benefits of a much lower tax burden due to the lack of required borrowing that SS revenues allowed ..is to try and get away without paying the piper for the party you've had in avoided taxes over the past decades.

That is, all the military that you DIDN'T have to pay for ..all the education bills that DIDN'T show up ..all the federal money that was dispersed ..was done so AT A DISCOUNT OF REAL COSTS due to the use of SS revenue.

It's all about sticking someone else with the bills.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Originally Posted By: Cutehumor

Yes. Whatever you pay now, is going out to the people that are collecting now and whatever else the Government wants to spend it on. Gov is about 57 TRILLION behind on forecast future payments.
Makes the current "crisis" look like a walk in the park, eh?
But don't worry, the Fed will print plenty of money so you and I might get something, it's just that the money we get will be worth next to nothing...along with all the money that you have saved or that is still remaining in a 401K. Sounds great, right!
Nothing to worry about at all though...these handful of people in power know what's best for the country and everyone in it...
frown.gif

I've been paying into social security since I was 18. my retirement age is 67. I bet they raise the age to 80.

Quote:
The argument NOW is NOW that everyone has reaped the benefits of a much lower tax burden due to the lack of required borrowing that SS revenues allowed ..is to try and get away without paying the piper for the party you've had in avoided taxes over the past decades.

It's all about sticking someone else with the bills.

I agree. Washington is more than happy to stick the bill with people that are not even born yet as they don't vote. Senior citizens, that receive SS and it's benefits, do.
There is a reason they call SS the third rail of politics. People want free stuff.

That's my objection. The should have told me this in 1956. Not (what was it) 2000?? The "moving target date" will have me never getting any real benefits.

It's due to our placement in the demographics. Anything in terms of benefits of the society have been well depleted by the earlier entrants into retirement.

Quote:
It's due to our placement in the demographics. Anything in terms of benefits of the society have been well depleted by the earlier entrants into retirement.

So you are calling it a ponzi or pyramid scheme?

Originally Posted By: Tempest
All of the resources required to build/make nukes, hydros, water diversion, towns, food, booze and accommodations sourced strictly in OZ?
How much would it cost to move significant numbers of people to work at those places? And then move them somewhere else for the next "stimulus" project?

So giving people a couple of grand to spend on Chinese junk that they'll throw out within three years makes more sense ?

Not that I can tell
54.gif

There were far more workers supporting far fewer recipients. Simple math. Now one could surely argue that they dispersed too many benefits to too many people when the operation wasn't so top heavy ..but AGAIN, you come back to the productivity in commerce that the release of these funds into the society produced.

That aspect has to be acknowledged if one is making an honest and balanced evaluation.

Then again, you can feel that spending then (which may be in the terms of avoided higher costs) is okay ..and ditching it when the bill comes due is a legit way to view things. Heck, Wall St. does it every day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back