No one ever said it was inexpensive to use Amsoil products

I just ordered ATF and gear oil to change the ATF, transfer case, front and rear diff., and a new bypass oil filter. The total was $300 and that includes the preferred buyer discount.

No engine oil or normal engine oil filter.

It would be $400 if I did not have some leftover ATF. And just a drain and fill of transmission. And does not include AT filter.

Seems like a lot of $$. No labor.

But then again compare the cost of doing this kind of prev maint vs the cost of a new diesel 3/4 ton pickup and it's a no brainer.

my goodness that seems like a heafty price for that amount of product. Persoanlly, I use Mystik FS gear oil from Farm & Fleet and Valvoline ATF+4 from Menards in my Ram. They both seem to work well and sure aren't $300 to do that amount of service. To each their own, I hope your service goes well.

Just my $0.02

Whats the cost difference compared to Supertech, taking into account if you could run Amsoil for longer intervals?

I just ordered ATF and gear oil to change the ATF, transfer case, front and rear diff., and a new bypass oil filter. The total was $300 and that includes the preferred buyer discount.

It would be $400 if I did not have some leftover ATF. And just a drain and fill of transmission. And does not include AT filter.

But then again compare the cost of doing this kind of prev maint vs the cost of a new diesel 3/4 ton pickup and it's a no brainer.

Worth it in the long run. Especially when you save labor by DIY.

Ain’t like that ZF Zeus juice is cheap either - especially what a dealer sells Mopar for …

I don't blame ya, for a 3/4 diesel pickup they do not come cheap.

300 bucks to throw at it is a SONG.
If they have any - our lot used to be 80/20 Super Duty/150 … they finally got a couple F250’s after a very long period of none … they started getting F150’s about 6 months back …

What is the problem with Shell, Chevron, Mobil or Castrol etc. products that for less cost will allow the engine and drive line to out last the ownership of your vehicle. Amsoil will not keep parts from breaking though and This comment isn't bashing Amsoils' products and they are top notch.

What is the problem with Shell, Chevron, Mobil or Castrol etc. products that for less cost will allow the engine and drive line to out last the ownership of your vehicle. Amsoil will not keep parts from breaking though and This comment isn't bashing Amsoils' products and they are top notch.
When I posted something about the high price of another boutique oil, I got bashed.

I don't use Amsoil engine oil due to the cost but I do run their transmission fluid and differential fluid. I changed out the differential fluid around 100K miles. What did that cost me $10-$15 for the life time of the car or 200K miles? I replaced the original factory lifetime transmission fill in 2005 with 66K on the clock with Amsoil. I drain the pan which holds around two quarts every two or three years and refill with fresh, transmission capacity is 7.9 quarts total. I dropped the transmission pan last year when I had to replace a leaking pan gasket and replaced the filter. My transmission fluid always looks brand new in a 26 year old Volvo 960 with 140K miles.

Amsoil doesn't seem as bad as others as saying. Especially considering the preferred membership only costs $10 every 6 months so if you were stocking up like @Donald , it makes sense.

Here's a price compare for a quart what I thought to be similar quality 75w90. Those with more knowledge on here can chime in.

Amsoil
$22.09 retail or $17.29 preferred

HPL
$19.13 retail or $16.26 after the BITOG15 15% discount (can't buy per quart)

Motul Gear 300
$24.95

RedLine
$16.49

LiquiMoly
$18.95

some mentioned Shell, Chevron, Mobil or Castrol.

Could only find Mobil on the Walmart Website
$14.95

so Amsoil is $2.34/quart more than Mobil from Walmart

Donald's car just needs a lot of fluids. Boutique fluid doesn't cost that much more...

I use Shell or Valvoline or similar engine oils. But a lot less variety when it comes to ATF and gear oil. So those are Amsoil.

I guess it's not not the prices of Amsoil rather it's the high cost of synthetic oils when you need many gallons of ATF and many QTs of gear oil.

I guess I just don't 'get' the whole boutique oil thing. I have 2 trucks currently that have more miles on them than 90% of the population will ever put on, and still run them daily and all they get are Chevron level quality lubes and at extended drains. I had someone ask me if I'd ever looked at HPL stuff, I'm sure it's wonderful, but if I am getting excellent service out of basic lubes, why would I change to something boutique and double my costs? Especially when a lot of it is just blended group III like everyone elses 'synthetics'.

Back