No oil burners - How?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In recent past, Patman had the post about Dino oils and Syn oils for those with over 150K miles.

I'd like to take that a step further, even more important are those cars that never have nor do now, even with high milage since (Brand NEW)burned oil.

I have had cars that maybe burned a few ounces per 10K and I have had some that burned 1quart+ every 3K. It didn't seem to matter, either they burned or not.

I'd like to find the TREND in those cars, that never have burnt oil, EVEN with a lot of miles, the burn rate has NOT gone up.

There are far too many variables to know the reasons that some engines burn oil and some burn less (all engines burn at least a small amount). You'd be more successful comparing several engines of the same make and type, and in the same application-then you could study the variables related to each engine, such as oil type and change frequency, maintenance, driving habits, climate, fuel quality variables, octane, filtration, etc.
I would say that the greater the number of cylinders, and the more valves that an engine has, will increase the oil consumption, simply because you have more avenues for oil to get into the combustion chamber.
The rpm that an engine operates at will have a big role as well.
Good luck.

Ok, I see what you were getting at. Why an engine that doesn't burn much oil, STAYS that way even with high mileage.......

Good question. I'd have to say quality maintenance of a well designed engine to start with.

quote:

Originally posted by TECH:
Ok, I see what you were getting at. Why an engine that doesn't burn much oil, STAYS that way even with high mileage.......

Good question. I'd have to say quality maintenance of a well designed engine to start with.

Yeah, starting with whatever was done in the break-in... every detail.

Then, the basic nature of the maintenance.

I have maintained most of my cars the same.
I like to replace parts before they break.
I like to change fluids before they are bad.
I like to run them hard, and it seems that with me there is no "SAME" results, they either always burned or never did.

Granted, even the ones that always burned, I have got them in time to burn less, sometimes a lot less, but I want my next car to be PRIMO, from the start, and from what I read here, there are a fair number of cars that burn oil, albeit within "normal" ranges... IMO, the less, the better, because thers less blow-by and such, a better seal, and less likely the motor will die.

[ January 10, 2004, 09:24 PM: Message edited by: Robbie Alexander ]

For the record, here are a few examples of the consumption on the cars I maintain, all are running on decent synth.

My friend's Audi 1.8t uses virtually ZERO oil in the extended 1 year drains she does and it is driven hard with a turbo.

My Mom's Passat 2.0 is a notorious oil burner, but Mom uses ZERO during her 1 year oci, probally due to a hard break-in.

My Woman's I-5 Audi with 185k is amazing, it uses no more than a half-quart in her 6 month, usually 7000 miles oci. Driven hard, not bad for an 18-year-old car.

Mine amd my mother-in-law's V6 Audi uses about a q to a q-and-a-half during a 6 month 9000 miles oci. Driven hard, of course.

My buddy's Volvo with 100k uses about a q in 6000 miles.

None of these cars are high-burners, I credit the oil as much as engine design.

My woman's friend brings her 2.0 Jetta here every 6 months and it is usually dry of dealer oil until I changed her to Rotella.

1986 4Runner only uses 1/2-1 quart every 5000-7500 miles with M1. Some OCI it will not use a drop! It has recived Castrol GTX 20W50 and 10W30 from 1986-1993@ 1800 mile OCI. I switched it to M1 15W50 and 10W30 and pushed OCI to 5000-7500 miles on average. In college I went to 9000 to 9500 mile interval.

I have a 1982 Toyota starlet that has been run on dino oil 20W50 in warm weather and 10W30 in the winter most of it's life! The 2 years that I had my wife driveing it I ran Castrol Syntec 5W50 in it year round. OCI's were ever 3000 mile on dino and 7500 miles with synthetic. The car is still used as a daily driver buy my Dad in warm weather. The heat output is not suffcient in winter time. To this day it still does not use a drop of oil reguardless of OCI!

My Dads 1995 Tacoma has 120,000-150,000 miles on it and it too does not use any oil. He uses 15W50 M1 in the warm months (anything above 40F) and 10W30 M1 the rest of the year!

My Buick Lasber does not Burn any oil either. It was run on 10W30 conventional the first 40,000 miles. Then M1 10W30 the next 50,000 mile or so. THen when Granpa passed away my uncle started takeing it to Pensoil place and they put 5W30 for the next 20,000 miles. When I bought it it was 1.5 quarts low so it must have been burning the 5W30. Since then I have used 15W40 HDDO in the summer and 10W30 in the winter and it has not burnt a drop!!

My 2003 Camry has just under 10,000 miles. To date it has only used 1/3 of a quart of oil. The first oil change it did not use a drop. This current oil change is it's first time with synthetic oil and it has used 1/3 of a quart so far with just under 5000 miles so far on this oil. I am currently running Redline 5W40.

[ January 11, 2004, 03:41 AM: Message edited by: JohnBrowning ]

A couple that I'm assosciated with (currently).

Nissan Pulsar (with "J-Car" engine, as sold in OZ) 270,000km, no oil consumption evident on the dipstick between 10,000km changes. 15W-50 and 5W-50 Mobil 1 for it's life.

1990 4Runner RV6 186,000km, no oil consumption.20W-50 mineral for the first 138,000km, then Xw-40 synthetic for the rest.

1987 Camira wagon (J car) with 130,000km. 20W-50mineral for the first 100,000, then whatever I put in it (25W-70 at present).

Ford Festiva (Hyundai whatever) 140,000km. 20W-50 for the first 100,000km, then a Xw-40 for the rest. no oil consumption between changes, which is fortunate because the lady owner has been know to do 20,000km on GTX Magnatec 10W-40.

2000 Nissan Pulsar 1600. 128,000km. 2 quarts per oil change (10,000km). 10W-30 dino since new.

I'd add a heap of cars that I used to deal with, but the only thing that ever used more than a half litre per 10,000km was a Holden V-8 that had been run without a thermostat.

I think it has a lot to do with engine design. The cars I posted on the other thread were all maintained the same way - 3k/3months - but two never used oil and one did. '84 Olds w/307 V-8 and '93 Grand Voyager w/3.3 liter V-6 never used oil, and the Olds was sold with 224k on it. The Plymouth is at 193k and doesn't use oil. The '88 Ford w/302 V-8 used oil from day one, 1 qt between changes. It never got better and it never got worse.

I think it is a combination of factors.

1) Stiff lower block design.
2) High Deck to allow good piston design full skirts.
3) Excellent seal materials.
4) High Tension rings.

previous car: 1994 Saturn SL1 burned 1qt/1000mi before auto-rx, reduced to 1qt per 5k of Mobil Delvac 1300 15w40

current car: 2003 Toyota Matrix(1zz-fe): Burned no M1 5w30 in 3k(still running it). Burned no Drive Clean 5w30 in 3k. Car has a total of 12k miles on it, I purchased it with 8k miles

--Matt

My 95 200,000 mile Civic burns nearly a 1/2 quart every 4k miles. I don't bother adding as I change it between 4-5k using 5W30 dino. I consider this a non burner. As I have understood it before some oil consumption is a good thing and very normal. It was slightly better when new.

[ January 12, 2004, 08:46 AM: Message edited by: harper ]

quote:

Originally posted by JohnBrowning:
I think it is a combination of factors.

1) Stiff lower block design.
2) High Deck to allow good piston design full skirts.
3) Excellent seal materials.
4) High Tension rings.

John, I think youre onto something, I could be wrong, but it sends off a flare in my head.

I think you left maybe one or two out.
A: Break-IN

B: PROPER OIL FLOW : just enough, not too little and not too much. Maybe this in the long run has a lot to do with one otherwise properly broken in.
I donno if the engineers really think about this one, and even if they did, I donno if... well

John or anyone, could you giv your thoughts in an expanded version of these issues, and exactly what these issues are or mean to you and why they make a difference.

I'd like to understand engines better, but these issues among a couple others have been in the back of my mind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back