No NOACK or HTHS data from Mobil1????!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
mad.gif
I got this back from Mobil:
quote:

To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Mobil1 product Technical question] (WJF)
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 18:06:02 -0500

> Thank you for your request.
>
> Sorry, that information is not available.
>
> Technical Support Engineer (WJF)
>
> The above information is provided in good faith based upon the information
> presented by the customer. ExxonMobil is not responsible for any loss
or
> damage resulting from inaccuracies or errors in any of the information
> provided or any acts or omissions taken in response to our advice.
>
> Exxon Technical Support: Mobil Technical Support:
> 1-800-44Exxon Prompt #3 1-800-Mobil25 Prompt #3
> (1-800-443-9966) (1-800-662-4525)
>
>
>
> ----- Message from [email protected] on Mon, 09 Sep 2002 18:57:25 +0000
> (GMT) -----
>
> To: [email protected]
>
> Subject: Mobil1 product Technical
> question
>
>
> I am interested in the exact HTHS and NOACK test results for Mobil-1 10w30,
> 0w40, and 15w50. Thank you.

NOACK and HTHS are not available?????
banghead.gif

Could it be that results are marginal?
lol.gif

Maybe that's why a thinner grade of Red Line has LESS consumption in my car. And M1 has quite a bit of consumption in th Jimmy where GTX had very little.
Regardless, a company that cannot provide such basic oil data is not going to get my business.
I'm going to email them back and if they still can't provide it, my my next and future changes for the Jimmy will be with Red Line (or maybe Schaeffer, haven't decided for sure).

Call them, but I procured that info a few months ago.

Mobil 1 SuperSyn
5W30 test results.
HTHS >3.0.
NOACK < 6.5
TBN > 11.0
10W30
HTHS > 3.2
NOACK < 6.0
TBN > 11.0

Ok, maybe I'll try calling instead. Or did you happen to get the data on 0w40 and 15w50? And is that Supersyn?
The only other problem I have is consistency. I believe someone also posted that it had a NOACK of around 11% instead. I don't think the reps are very well trained at all (obviously if they are telling me the data is not available) if they are giving out different data. Where are they getting the data from and what is the real results?

Good luck calling Mobil. I talked with a tech rep last week with the same question and the guy was giving me a range of numbers for NOACK that didn't make much sense. Finally, exasperated, he says, "Well, ya know, that's proprietary information."

Someone on this board posted 13% volatility for M1 0w-30 and 8% for the 10w-30, 2.9 HTHS for the 0w-30 and 3.2 for the 10w-30. Those number sound about right. I'm interested in this spec too since my car is consuming the 0w-30 at three times the rate of the 5w-20 factory-fill dino oil. I'm trying M1 5w-30 next.

I too am very tired of Mobil's poor information.

The info provided on the board for the most common Noack test was

M1 5w30 around 12% HTHS 3.1
M1 10w30 around 9% HTHS 3.2

Can't recall the exact number on the Noack.

There is another Noack test that returns results between 4-8% for most high quality oils. Some posts may be quoting that test.

I just called Tim Mills 800-737-1747 for the 5w30 Schaeffer Blend. $3.00 per quart and about $10 shipping per case (12 quarts) from Arkansas to Alabama. David probably has a similar deal on the East Coast.

[ September 11, 2002, 11:52 AM: Message edited by: jjbula ]

I don't think the other one is called NOACK though. It is a volatility but not NOACK. Schaeffer's has both listed(are you taking notes Mobil?). E.g. 10w30 S7k:.
quote:

Volatility 700°F % Evaporation Loss (ASTM D-2887)

NOACK Volatility % Evaporation Loss (ASTM D-5800)

Originally posted by jjbula:
[QB]I too am very tired of Mobil's poor information.

Wow, poor information? In my humble opinion Mobil's website and toll free numbers make them one of the easiest to get a hold of and surf on their web site and get some pertinent information.

I know they are not going to satisfy all of us all the time, but you know how that goes. Plus there is much more to it than just the Noack and HTHS numbers. From my personal experience some oils with better numbers in the HTHS and Noack did not perform as well as some with not so good numbers in comparison.

I am thankful and grateful for all the good SL rated oils available to us for the many different uses and applications that we have to use them.
We have many different options and that is what makes it so hard some times, and then we start to get frustrated over our own indecisions. Then the next simple step is to "blame" this or that oil.

Find what YOU like and then use it along with a good maintenance program that works for you.

Have A Good Day,
Steven
wink.gif
patriot.gif

P.S.

If you do a search on this forum you will find those numbers about Mobil 1's HTHS and Noack.

Steven

quote:

Originally posted by icruse:
P.S.

If you do a search on this forum you will find those numbers about Mobil 1's HTHS and Noack.

Steven

That's nice, but right here alone we have 3 different numbers. How do we know what is right?

Yeah but Steven, NOACK and HTHS numbers are no more "proprietary" than viscosity. Why should anybody have to call for this? Then 6 different people call and get 6 different answers. Post the **** specs already!

Jason,

There are two methods of testing for evaporation loss or volatility.

The D5800 standard is more severe and that's one I watch for when looking at volatility.

Think of volatility as "the volatile agitation of an oil's molecules at high temperature."

[ September 11, 2002, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: MolaKule ]

quote:

Originally posted by icruse:
[QB
Wow, poor information? In my humble opinion Mobil's website and toll free numbers make them one of the easiest to get a hold of and surf on their web site and get some pertinent information.
[/QB]

You're right Steven. I am thankful for the new SL standard and count Mobil 1 as a very good oil. Mobil's website is the best one I've seen for oil info (except for Schaeffer), even if it is not perfect. But with all the effort (and fluff) their website has left out some basic info.

Have you ever called the Mobil 1 number? They sound like used car salesman. That is the worst part of the Mobil 1 "experience"

Straight off Mobils web site. 0W40 HTHS 3.6, NOACK 8.8. cSt @ 100c 14.3, @40c 80, VI 187, Flash point 230, pote point yield stress cP/Pa @-40c 26000/<35 etc etc. Can't ask for much more than that. Good web sites with all the info you need IMHO.

Re: Mobil 1 specs on the web site-
I wanted to double check M1 0-40 specs and found that all ref to synthetic oils were removed from the product data sheet section of the US web site. The Australian and Euro sites still had the info posted but keep in mind that oil in those areas can be different from the US formulation.
I emailed Mobil and they confirmed that the product data is being updated and will return to the web site shortly. They also offered an 800 number if I needed the specs right away.

The Mobil Tech support site (800-662-4525) is staffed by lubrication engineers, most of whom have many years experience both field and product development, some involved in the devopment of the Mobil 1',s SHC series, etc.. You will not find a more knowledgeable bunch of lube engineers, IMHO.. All are STLE CLS..
George

GeorgeCLS
Wish it was same here. Called techline and they never heard of SuperSyn???? I had to email the U.S. M1 URL to the guy. Can you believe that? But their websites are good especially now they have the vehicle oil recommendation working at last.

Sprintman,not much difference here imo.

Want to talk to some cool Engineers real Engineers? Call Citgo,Conoco,Phillips. They are enthusiastic about their product and fun to talk to

[ September 12, 2002, 09:19 PM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

quote:

Originally posted by sprintman:
Straight off Mobils web site. 0W40 HTHS 3.6, NOACK 8.8. cSt @ 100c 14.3, @40c 80, VI 187, Flash point 230, pote point yield stress cP/Pa @-40c 26000/strong>

I had another look and you are partly right. In the resource library I can find more detailed specs, including NOACK volatility and HTHS, on oils that aren't sold in the US or haven't been sold in the US for 7 years.

[ September 12, 2002, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Jay ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back