No more Tire Rack purchases for me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a lukewarm Tire Rack fan, did a lot of trade with them until about 6 years ago. I discovered that after working in the "real roll out the garage" total cost, their price advantage is rarely something to brag about. Combined with the fact that the local businessman has to keep his local rep, I went back to local.

Compare prices, haggle, shop some more. Especially when you are buying 4, you have remarkable leverage.

I have bought two different pairs of tires from the Tire Rack. The first time they sent me GY Eagle GA tires instead of GY Eagle GT II tires. TR was very good about sending me a return label quickly and sending the correct tires before the others were returned. The second time I bought a pair of Bridgestone BT70 tires. On a long trip one of them blew out with only 8K miles on the tire. We made it to a Sears Auto Center and I purchased an equivalent Bridgestone there. However, the trunk and back seat were full and I had to leave the damaged tire behind. So I lost on any adjustment for the damaged tire and had to spend $120 for a new tire. My wife and I have downsized to one car that gets a lot of use. We can no longer wait for a replacement tire from an Internet retailer because we cannot tie up the car. If you have problems with the tires you boought, inconvenience could be a considerable factor that needs to be considered. Inconvenience = dollars IMO.
smile.gif

What I like about Tire Rack is the selection. In any given size, TR will let you choose from a large segment of the tire universe. Also, TR's tire tests are useful, as are their surveys.
In my experience, shipping rarely exceeds five bucks or so a tire. You can always find someone to mount and balance tires pretty cheaply, and if the tires you are replacing are not absolute garbage, you won't ususally have to pay a tire disposal fee, since a small local shop can always resell them to someone poorer than you are.
All things considered, I like Tire Rack. For those who don't, TR still serves the valuable purpose of keeping local bricks and mortar shops honest on pricing,

I like TireRack as a research site. I go and look up my tire size and type, then read the survey results, then read the reviews, do comparisons, etcetera...

Then I go to the websites of (or call) Pep Boys, Discount Tire, and NTB and see who has them cheapest locally.

Then if I'm not happy with the prices, I scour used tire shops until I find a set of four.

What I dislike about tirerack is selection, and the fact that I can get even local independent shops to quote prices as low or lower when factoring in all costs. As far as selection cannot find any Toyo tires through tire rack. No commercial grade tires. Mnay good tires to be found there but a whole lot of crud tires to be found there too.
OK research site.

two sets of mounted tires/rims - road force balanced by tirerack. Both sets have been superb - far better than the factory balance. Came faster than quoted. Can't recommend them highly enough for that setup.

On a tire-only purchase - I'd have to give it some thought - the hassle factor could be huge, especially if the installer is borderline, and can't solve a problem that then involves dealing with TR. The earlier posts about internet blems is a hot steaming load. I wouldn't trust someone making that claim to shut my door properly, let along put my car on a rack.

Quote:

As far as selection cannot find any Toyo tires through tire rack. No commercial grade tires. Mnay good tires to be found there but a whole lot of crud tires to be found there too.
OK research site.

Great research site but I do wonder why the Kumho's are ALWAYS rated extra high.

I also do wish they would stock commercial tires. They have typical size highway ribs for Econolines and 3/4 ton trucks and such, but for example I want to find some 19.5" tires for a 1968 Ford F-350 with upgraded axles, and they have NOTHING.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back