No more oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
So no combustion by-products get into the oil? Or does the oil supply get burned up so fast that the by-products don’t matter, and you only need to add more? My old Vespa 2-stroke works like that.

Originally Posted By: mx5miata
No way I change my mower oil

Care to Share? Pics?

I sell and work on many brands of small engines.

If it was only particulate matter contaminating the oil, good filtration would allow no oil changes. In the real world, we also have combustion products and other chemical contamination that only oil changes can remove. The other issue is B&S rates most of their current engines with something like a 400 hour life. If you want only a 400 hour life, do as B&S tells you.

Share pics of changing my mowers oil?

I run the mower out of fuel and turn the mower on its side to drain out the oil.

Replace with 30wt. HD

Sorry, misread when you said "No way I change my mower oil".

Thought you meant no way to change your motor oil.
33.gif

I just bought a Toro Super Recycler that doesn't have the stupid B&S engine that says no need to change the oil. It replaced a 7 or 8 year old Toro Recycler with B&S that ran well, but already needed a new pull cord assembly and never started well on restarts after shutting it off after having been using it. Always started up on cold starts first or second pull. After my wife bent the drive shaft by hitting a stump we just bought a new one instead of fixing it for only a hundred or two hundred dollars less than a new (and better) one.

Originally Posted By: GravelRoad
Sorry, misread when you said "No way I change my mower oil".

Thought you meant no way to change your motor oil.
33.gif

LOL
Another situation where punctuation is priceless.

Someday cars will have a service interval of 100K for everything, oil and tires included. The only technical reason it's not there now is because it will hurt dealership service departments. eliminating so many chances to take a shot at your credit card.

I wouldn't do it, but it's an interesting thing for sure. It'd be interesting to see how long one lasts just because my largest concern is the wear metals floating around.. They don't just burn off do they? Lol

I would also be concerned about people not checking/ adding as needed and just running it dry.

I guess if I had to do it, it'd get a life of some A3/B4 or diesel HDEO because this is BITOG.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It's been discussed here ad nauseum.

I still change the oil in mine.

How much does your mower consume?

It sounds like a good reason to keep my 20 year old mower running a little longer. Or pass on Briggs when I do buy one. I guess I'm getting old, just the idea of them saying no oil change required doesn't sit well with me. Was it to save a dollar an engine not having to fit it with a drain plug? Flipping it to change the oil, or sucking it out doesn't appeal to me unfortunately.

I'll bet it is "no oil changes for the life of the engine". They are waiting for you to get the punch line.

That said. I have over 150 hours on my B&S 24HP lawn tractor and my last fillup was PP 5w30 and a FL400S filter.

Oil is still very clean and clear. I will change it but seems like a shame to do so. I could easily see it going 2x to 3X this interval with only a fitler change because the outside paint is faded and chalky.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back