No more oil changes ever?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
"there is a large push in the industry, especially in Europe, for sealed-for-life charges in the sump"

I read this today on BITOG in the Question for the day forum. It was under "Higher Viscosity=Better Hydrodynamic Film" then to XS650's "Chew on this Awhile" and then down to the forth paragraph from the last (I tried to paste it here but couldn't. Maybe someone could paste it for me.)

I thought my head might explode. Trying to keep us from changing oil would be like tryuing to take away our guns. It just won't happen.

Anyone else have thoughts on this?

Originally Posted By: callbay
"there is a large push in the industry, especially in Europe, for sealed-for-life charges in the sump"

I read this today on BITOG in the Question for the day forum. It was under "Higher Viscosity=Better Hydrodynamic Film" then to XS650's "Chew on this Awhile" and then down to the forth paragraph from the last (I tried to paste it here but couldn't. Maybe someone could paste it for me.)

I thought my head might explode. Trying to keep us from changing oil would be like tryuing to take away our guns. It just won't happen.

I'll beleive it when I see it.

Durango

Those sealed for life sumps would most likely be filled with some solid lube, some super crazy nano-particle.

That said, I could see a small engine with a large sump lasting the "life" of the car. By life I mean the typical period most people own their cars, not the 10+ years common on BITOG. Most dump their car around 80k.
We all have seen cases of engines with no or minimal maintenance making it to 80k now on conventional lubes. Sure, the motor is thrashed...but the owner dumped it before it was a problem.

Take a 1.5l engine, give it a 15 quart sump, fill it with synthetic, and I bet it would make it to 100k...assuming oil level was maintained, and the oil filter was changed on occasion. Would this engine be in good shape? Probably not...but it would run, and would fit the quality expectations of most consumers. [censored], I bet it would be in better shape than many of us think

Originally Posted By: CharlieJ
An era of throw-away cars is approaching.

That era has been here since the 80s. This is just the next step :-(

And then there will be a kit you buy, with a drill bit and all thread ring and a drain plug, $34.99 on ebay.

Nice lil joke of the day? you bet!

Q.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Paul56
I'm all for less maintenance... so what kind of SUPER oil will go into the sealed sump?
Amsoil!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Crustacean
And then there will be a kit you buy, with a drill bit and all thread ring and a drain plug, $34.99 on ebay.
No silly, take it to the dealer! Another thing they can use to turn on the CEL!
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: exranger06
Lots of cars already have "sealed for life" transmissions. That doesn't stop people on here from changing the fluid anyway.

Before you throw in da bone to tease the dawgs, remember this:

transmission oil (with the exception of some shared sum designs such as original mini cooper, etc.) never has to come into contact with contaminations such as combustion byproducts, water, unburned hydrocarbon crrrapp, etc. to begin with. All that trannie lube has to deal with are breakdowns of base lubricant due to thermalcycling (that includes oxidation), and various chemical additive depletion over time.

My 2c's worth.

Q.

Last edited:
Do not quote me but I've heard from car people at work that environmental folks in CA are "discussing" and "researching" sealed car engines.

I too would have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:
As I posted above, there are those who say nanotech "dry" lubes would be ideal for lifetime fill. Think graphite, but much much better. This doesn't exactly exist today, but in the near future. If such lubes were used, you couldn't exactly go down to your local Walmart and get a quart...

Don't ask me to explain, its been awhile since I watched the science channel special :p

Originally Posted By: callbay

Ha... Are you surprised? Another way to help ensure Detroit's survival.
LOL.gif

You remember those matchbox type cars that had the plastic gear inside them.That's what we are gonna be driving 10 years from now.Just push the car back as far as you can and then hop in and your on your way.No more smog,no more oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back