No more K&N oil filters foe me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the second time I used a K&N filter with the overnight start up bearing noise,like the drain back valves are not working.The first time it happened,I chalked it up to a defective filter.then I tried one again and the same thing happened,this one was even an oversize filter!! So I changed it out for a good ole white purolator,problem solved.No more of those [censored] K&N`s for me!!

Last edited:
Odd. The K&N has a beefy silicone drain back valve thats better than the one in that purolator.

Well,this makes two times now,and i`m not goin for a third.Plus someone else on here agreed with me re:this matter when I complained the first time it happened.I would expect it from a Fram,but not an expensive filter like K&N.

Last edited:
I had the same problems with K&N filter. I think we have the same 3.3L V6 3mz-fe engine but mine is an ES and you have an RX. I even had the same problem with toyota 90915-yzzd3 filter. I am going to use the Fram XG3600 from now on, no start up rattle and very smooth.

I ALWAYS blow into the center hole and see if air hisses out before I accept a filter. About 1/3 leak air...all brands.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
I ALWAYS blow into the center hole and see if air hisses out before I accept a filter. About 1/3 leak air...all brands.

That really works!!?
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: deven
I had the same problems with K&N filter. I think we have the same 3.3L V6 3mz-fe engine but mine is an ES and you have an RX. I even had the same problem with toyota 90915-yzzd3 filter. I am going to use the Fram XG3600 from now on, no start up rattle and very smooth.

Maybe Toyota motor`s simply dont care for this particular filter??

I stopped using Amsoil Ea's several years ago for the same reason. Also, they would leak oil through the ADBV when I plugged the center hole and placed the filter on its side or inverted. The PureOne's I tested did not. This bench test was conducted on new and used filters of both brands.

I'm having the same problem with 2.9L I6 volvo running mobil1 extended performance M1-204, and with 3.4L V6 toyota running either M1-102 or 90915-YZZD1. It could be my engines or filters. I do not know for sure. It does not happen all the time though. It's quiet noticeable during the winter.

Originally Posted By: Bowser

I stopped using Amsoil Ea's several years ago for the same reason. Also, they would leak oil through the ADBV when I plugged the center hole and placed the filter on its side or inverted. The PureOne's I tested did not. This bench test was conducted on new and used filters of both brands.

I have used two different Ea's lately and one leaks like a seive and the other is totaly sealed. They are the EaO13 and EaO29. Both have silicone ADBV's. I can't remember which one is which right now but the one that leaks air is made in Mexico and has the BPV on the dome end (fits v6 GranAm). Safe to say that not all EaO's are created equal! BTW, all my MC FL1A's and PF52's seal great. My ST's & Frams do not.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lexus114
That really works!!?
shocked2.gif

If it leaks air it will prolly leak oil. That oil's just gonna sit there and drip into the pan all night.
I go a funny look today for doing just that. I told the counter guy, "go ahead, when nobody is looking, put you mouth tight on the center holes and blow into all those filters on the shelf and see how may will give you a few months of consistent dry starts."
blush.gif

Guess I'd rather look goofy than overhaul my engine at a lousy 100K.
LOL.gif

I've had the same problem with K&N and my 4.0L Toyota. I had two in my garage and they both failed the air blow by test. LOL I used the one that was decent last night and when I started her up, ran sh1tty for a few minutes. I changed it out with an oversized standard Purolator and no problems. I usually run the motorcraft 400s but the Purolator white cans have been great for 3-5k runs.

Originally Posted By: Badlees
I've had the same problem with K&N and my 4.0L Toyota. I had two in my garage and they both failed the air blow by test. LOL I used the one that was decent last night and when I started her up, ran sh1tty for a few minutes. I changed it out with an oversized standard Purolator and no problems. I usually run the motorcraft 400s but the Purolator white cans have been great for 3-5k runs.

The Fleetguard LF16002 that is sitting on my desk here passes....

Originally Posted By: Badlees

The 4.0L Toyota V6 is a notoriously picky engine in regards to oil filters. The one in my 05 Tacoma was extremely picky or you got serious valve train clatter at all times not just startup. Even the OE filte did it. Basd on what others on the Toyota forums were experiencing as far as success I went with a M1 filter and it quieted the noise down like 90%+.

I had the same problem with the 2 K&N oil filters. I had startup noises cold/hot.

Changed the filter to a Wix and it went away, then I went to an EAO and also never had a problem.

Thats strange cause I have run alot of different filters in my 2006 4.0 Tacoma and most seem to sound about the same. Its not loud by any means though. Its the only thing i detest about the truck. I ran mobil 1's last year and just recently switched to EaO 034 which is a larger than stock filter and the noise is the same. Maybe the fact that I am running a larger filter is scewing the results some. Good info none the less. Thanks!

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Awesome thread. I've never heard of air-checking a filter before. Thanx. :)

The anti-drainback valve is just a big, rubbery check valve. It should pass air one way pretty easily, and none the other way. But QC isn't what it ought to be on these...even on good quality filters.
Maybe if we all start blowing into filters, the word will get around to the manufacturers that we are noticing and care.
Left a NAPA Gold for my wife's car on the counter a few days ago. Showed the counter guy that is leaked air and told him I didn't want it because it would leak the oil out and give dry starts. Got another off the shelf. Tested it in front of him (it held) and bought it. I know [censored] well, he put the defective one back on the shelf after I left because he doesn't probably comprehend what the drainback valve is or what it does for your engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back