No more gas or electric cords for me...

If I had a smaller yard, I’d get all electric in a heartbeat. The hassle of not running out of gas is worth it in of itself.

This is BITOG. I don’t mind the engine maintenance and mixing of fluids. I’d probably be lost without it honestly.

Whatever works for you. For me, it wouldn’t be of any benefit. I’ve owned corded string trimmers and corded edgers. Not near enough power. The corded edger was literally a pain in my back. I destroyed two corded string trimmers in one week. On the second trip back to Lowe’s, the manager asked if I wanted to exchange it. I flatly told him no and that I wanted a full refund. My Echo branded trimmer and edger get the job done quickly and without problems.

I used it today. It trimmed the yard and I blew a few things off as well. Then it died. I really like the ease of it. If I had a larger yard it would make sense to have another charged battery or go with a higher voltage/amp battery.

I used it today. It trimmed the yard and I blew a few things off as well. Then it died. I really like the ease of it. If I had a larger yard it would make sense to have another charged battery or go with a higher voltage/amp battery.

That is the key, always try to stay with the same battery's / tools that way if one goes down you got another one ready to go.

My FIL switched over to Ryobi 1+ tools for nearly everything a few years ago, and his weed eater is among them.

I've borrowed his on occasion, and I've been suitably impressed with it.

With that said, I have a nice Ryobi 2-stroke that my brother in law(Sister's husband, opposite side of the family) gave me a few years ago when he switched to battery. It's a nice unit with a separate hedge trimmer that I've never used. Admittedly I need to give it some attention since this year it decided it only wanted to run on choke the one time I used it, and I know I need to just go through and do a full tune up on it(guessing I'll find the issue, whatever it is, when I do that).

We had cordless, the price of the battery is more than the tool when the battery fails.

I think the way to go is Gas with Tru-Fuel mix. You don't need to do any mixing or maintenance, just pour it in.

I have the Ego gen 2 lawnmower, edger, trimmer and backpack blower. I'll never go back to gas again and I don't miss the exhaust smell. The mower is a little underpowered on heavy grass, but I hear the new gen 3 might be better. Definitely not really a mulching mower unless you want to make multiple passes.

The trimmer and edger are awesome! Good power and actually more powerful than the corded stuff that it replaced. The blower is underpowered compared to a gas blower meaning you have to start with as close of a full battery as you can, but the batteries charge up in less than an hour so they're always ready.

I bought a Toro 60v mower

P.S. I put on a layer of TW Seal and Shine and then followed up with TW Hybrid Ceramic before I used the mower. I covered all plastic parts and painted metal, including the top and bottom of the steel deck.

This should help to keep it clean.

My yard is too big for all cordless tools 250,000 sqft but I have been looking at a 40v or 60v cordless chainsaw to backup my gas saw. Many times I just need to trim a few broken branches or cut up a large one that came down in a storm. If I have a big job then its worth the effort to get the gas saw out. My issue with them has been that it may only get used 4 or 5 times a year and a replacement battery is between $140-$200. Not to mention that if the battery needs to be charged then I cant just grab and go. But if I had a small yard with no place to store gas equipment I could see going cordless as long as I stayed with the same battery platform and bought tools that came with a battery. It is about the same price to buy the whole tool with charger and battery as just getting a spare battery for 1 tool.

Never will switch. Gas is the way to go. You can buy the premixed stuff at Lowe’s, Home Depot even Walmart I think. I used my neighbors cordless one when I was doing some work for her and really didn’t care for it. It seemed very underpowered to me. It was a Kobalt one not Craftsman but still never will switch unless it becomes mandatory. Let us know how you like that one though maybe they have improved since last year when she bought hers.
You should try my Atlas 80 volt.

I have the dewalt 20v trimmer and blower. Still have gas lawnmower and snow blower. I'd probably get an electric mower when this ariens lawnmower dies. It's 19 years old.

I have a 6000 sq ft lawn. Last week I bought a Toro 60v mower with the Personal Pace drive. I LOVE it. Can finish in 24 minutes.

I got tired of battling my 20 year old Craftsman gas mower. My back loves not pulling the string any longer.
2 batteries in my mower will mow over 10,000 sq. feet of 4" tall grass and I still have enough juice to string trim the yard.

I have a small yard so I went with a corded Craftsman mower, battery string trimmer and hedge clipper. On the other hand I have a gasoline, two stage, 24 inch snow blower for the driveway and walk. If we get an inch to an inch and half of snow I'll shovel, but anything more, the snow blower gets pulled out. Five strips up and down the 140 foot steep driveway and it's clear. Usually including the back pad, driveway and front walk I can get in done in about twenty minutes or so. Six forward speeds and two in reverse makes quick work of any substantial snow we get. I would have probably made another choice with the snow blower, if my garage was in the front of the house instead of in the back.

I had to replace the Craftsman string trimmer and hedge clipper batteries about two years ago. At 2 for $39.95 off Amazon it was a no brainer. I got eight years out of the originals. The yard front and back takes me about 35-45 minutes to cut, string trim and spray for weeds start to finish, including putting everything away.

I have a small yard and bought a Ryobi 18V weed eater and Blower. It does the job just fine for me. I also have a Ryobi Drill motor so it works out great. I can cut weeds for an hour before needing a battery. If I stay on top of things I can be done in 30 minutes.

You can pry my Stihl gas trimmer out of my cold Dead hands. In five years of ownership I put a better sparkplug in, and replaced the fuel filter. It starts on one pull year-aftter-year.

My neighbor gave me his DeWalt line trimmer when he moved to Chicago last year. The darn thing only will run about 15 minutes on a 5 amp battery. Pretty much useless for me. I could go buy a bunch of batteries for it, but I've already got a drawer full of dead DeWalt batteries as it seems they only last for three or four years. I can buy a LOT of oil and gas for the price of one battery, and I can actually get some work done.

My neighbor gave me his DeWalt line trimmer when he moved to Chicago last year. The darn thing only will run about 15 minutes on a 5 amp battery. Pretty much useless for me. I could go buy a bunch of batteries for it, but I've already got a drawer full of dead DeWalt batteries as it seems they only last for three or four years. I can buy a LOT of oil and gas for the price of one battery, and I can actually get some work done with the gas trimmers.

Today, my 2013 husky 128ld trimmer would not start, usual things ok, spark carb etc. I think the crank seals may be bad. So i bought the 40v brushless ryobi trimmer.

I went with ryobi, because i have several expand it or trimmer plus tools that went with my husky, that will work on the ryobi. I have the brush head, pole saw, edger.. I don't want to buy all those again if i went with a gas echo trimmer. The newer husky 128's don't have good reviews as well as a buddy at work having the same experience with the old 128 being great, and the new ones not holding up.

So, charging the battery, will see tomorrow how it does. I can at least trim the grass until i take the husky apart and see if its repairable.

Back