No more Fram Air Filters, STP only! (56k beware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the lesson to be learned here, is: For high quality products, look for things that say "Made in China"

Originally Posted By: ksJoe
So the lesson to be learned here, is: For high quality products, look for things that say "Made in China"

Exactly,
banana2.gif

Just replaced OE Honda 3.0L air filter with a Fram 9600 made in Isreal yesterday. Looked in the box (actually looked in 3) beforehand (standard practice), and all looked good. Purchased at Wally. Dealer wanted double for OE filter.

While I would not use Fram Extra guard oil filter, I use Fram air filters in all my vehicles. They fit well and have appeared well made to me.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: ToyotaNSaturn
My kids can make a better quality air filter with a couple pieces of notebook paper, a plastic coat hanger and a bottle of Elmer's glue.
Apparently your kids already make FRAM's oil filters, then...

I recently changed air filter in my Corolla after 30000 miles and the old one, made in Israel Fram, had deteriorated rubber gasket that probably leaked. Never saw that before and no more Fram air filters for me. I like Purolator filters.

I would not have bought the fram just from how it is made. I agree the STP looks much more stout.

I have a 95 Cadillac Seville and i replaced the air filter using a purolator but the fit was very loose and there was a lot of space in between the filter and box... I checked the number and even exchanged it figuring just maybe something was wrong with the filter but the new one is the same thing does anyone use an easy to obtain air filter that fits well on this car i had to go to the dealer and get an a/c took them 2 days because they were out of stock... We stock purolator in our shop but not a/c and its a pain every time we do a caddy that needs an air filter..If anyone has idea's please let me know..
Thank you

Not too many things are made here because nobody wants to work for $7.00 an hour in this country not even the ones that sneak in i mean why should they our Government gives them food stamps, rental assistance, FREE MEDICAL, welfare and in a lot of cases social security... You see in other countries you work for pennies and you like it, PERIOD if you don't like it you die of hunger!
There motto is work for pennies and you get to eat,

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Israel has been making auto parts for years... Just I think it's more common knowledge now.
wink.gif

Just for kicks I thought I check out the Purolator Air Filter at AAP for my Honda 3.0L, to campare it to the Fram Air filter made in Israel that I just installed.

Guess where the Purolator is made, that's right Israel. And, it was 3 bucks more expensive than the Wally Fram. I have no problem with Fram Air Filters, but, no matter the brand, you do need to look in the box before you buy.

I won't buy Fram anything any more. After seeing what isn't on the inside compared to other brands I switched to Wix. I'll pay what it costs for quality but paying for junk is a waste of money.

It appears that most conventional air filters are being made by another company and not in the US. I just installed a Wix cabin filter and a Fram air filter in my Saturn LW300; both were made in Israel (and I bet by the same company). The Fram cartridge oil filter I installed at the same time was made in South Korea; I really didn't notice much of a difference between it and Saturn's German made equivalent. I think the number of pleats doesn't mean much in air filters. I bet less pleats means more air flow and not much worse collection of particles as long as the gasket fits properly.

Originally Posted By: Silver02ex
I have the opposite feeling when it comes to Fram vs STP. I prefer the Fram over the STP for my 02 civic.

I prefer Fram over STP for my 08 Civic, too. The CA10165 is a rigid air panel with a center support, a sturdy hard plastic frame, and a soft rubber gasket that fits the airbox as snugly as the OE Filtec. The ones I have in my stash are all made in Korea and run $8 at Checker and $12 at Wal-Mart.

The STP isn't as sturdy, but the poor fit is the reason I won't use it. Hard to be sure there's a good seal.

Just purchased a $13 Fram air filter for my '06 Chevy Impala 3.5L V6 at Walmart today (CA10014). It was made in China, and is very well constructed. Very sturdy, and all pleats are uniform. I looked at it before buying it and was actually very impressed with the quality. I do not use Fram oil filters, but have no issue with Fram air filters and have been using them for over 20 years with no issues. The Fram "fresh breeze" cabin air filters are a good product as well.

When it comes to standard "disposable" air filters, they are pretty much all similar (OEM, Purolator, Fram, etc.) They may have slight design differences, but if the filter fits/seals correctly in the air box, and is designed for the engine it is being installed in, it will do what it is supposed to. The key is making sure it is replaced before the filtering media gets clogged with dirt. I have found the Fram filters will go about 15,000 miles before really approaching the need to be replaced.

It looks to me that the filter media on the Fram is a tighter weave. That would lead me to believe it filters better.

I replaced the air filter in my wife's 2005 Explorer with the 4.6 V-8 yesterday. I was lazy and didn't want to drive the 20 mile RT to get a Purolater at AAP or go to the WalMart right behind the AAP to get a Fram. So I went to the local "no name" auto parts store within walking distance and got a Fram for $13 & change with tax. The Purolater I removed was made in the USA and looked well made. It wasn't really dirty at all. I gotta start writing down when and at what mileage I change them at
blush.gif

The Fram is made in Mexico, looked like it was built ok. The difference I noticed was the Fram had a fuzzy appearance to the media. I just hope it's as strong as the Purolater media. The wife's going a 4,000 mile trip with her sister to visit family. I'll check it when she gets back.

Ironically the way the air is drawn through the filter only less than half the filter near the intake gets dirty the rest looks new
21.gif
. I saved the Purolater and if need be I'll reinstall it with the clean side towards the intake when she gets back ;).

Whimsey

Fram is all my son has used on his 05 4.6L Explorer since replacing OE. I've bought several for him at a local Magic Mart that has low prices ($5-6) on selected Fram filters. All have appeared well made and he's had no issues. Very easy to install on an Explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back