No more Continental/Goodyear Helicog/Gatorback belts?

Well this sucks....

I ordered a new belt for my Taurus, thinking I'd get the same Continental Elite (formerly Goodyear Gatorback) belt that I got last time

It's my belt of choice when you've done everything right, but it still squeaks

Apparently they've replaced it with "OE Technology Series" which just looks like a regular serpentine belt

I hope it doesn't squeak...

And the Motorcraft reman alternator I ordered was noisy and screechy out of the box, I'm just gonna order Denso this time

There goes a weekend of productive repair :cautious:

Where did you get them? For the belt, you can still get Continental on rockauto.com. As for the alternator, I always used to just get them from Autozone, they always have a lifetime warranty so it's easy to get another one. I think the first one lasted about 90k for me and the 2nd one was about the same. Only got a 3rd one in case it was causing some error codes but it wasn't the alternator. At least it was free though. At least on the Vulcan it's not that bad to swap out. On the Duratec I had, you had to go through some hoops and flip the alternator over in order to get it out the wheelwell otherwise crazy stuff like having to drop the subframe.

I would get a New Motorcraft alternator I never get reman unless I absolutely have too. As for the belts I’ve never used one of those so I don’t know if I will miss them lol I always use Gates belts.

I've had decent luck with Drive Rite belts which i think are Dayco?

I've also heard Bando belts are decent.

I've even used a cheap D&D belt tgats holding up ok

Gatorbacks were just a band aid for out of alignment pulleys, accessories, & worn tensioners. I'm just fine with the line being dissolved & maybe customers will stop asking for them because the internet ranks them as the "best" belt.

I like the Continental Contitech/OE-Series myself. Bando & Mitsuboshi belts as well.....If they're the OE style with the textured/cloth backing.....Bando has a lower line that don't work very well without auto tensioners.....They stretch like Gates belts.

Yes, Continental phased them out last year. It was a gradual transition, where different part numbers switched at different times. I was able to get an Elite on eBay last year, and judging by the date code, it was probably one of the last ploycog belts for that part number. If you really want a cogged belt, you can always look on eBay for listings that have a picture of the belt, and buy one of those.

That said, there is nothing wrong with the Conti OE Technology Series. They are quality belts. Bando also makes good belts.

You could always try the Dayco W-belt if you want an aftermarket design and not just regular ribbed belts.

Where did you get them? For the belt, you can still get Continental on rockauto.com. As for the alternator, I always used to just get them from Autozone, they always have a lifetime warranty so it's easy to get another one. I think the first one lasted about 90k for me and the 2nd one was about the same. Only got a 3rd one in case it was causing some error codes but it wasn't the alternator. At least it was free though. At least on the Vulcan it's not that bad to swap out. On the Duratec I had, you had to go through some hoops and flip the alternator over in order to get it out the wheelwell otherwise crazy stuff like having to drop the subframe.

Conti didn't change the part numbers when they went from Elite/Gatorback to the OE Technology Series. The belts you buy from Rock Auto regular inventory will most likely be the new ones. You might get the cog belts if there are any wholesaler closeout.

Gatorbacks were just a band aid for out of alignment pulleys, accessories, & worn tensioners. I'm just fine with the line being dissolved & maybe customers will stop asking for them because the internet ranks them as the "best" belt.

I like the Continental Contitech/OE-Series myself. Bando & Mitsuboshi belts as well.....If they're the OE style with the textured/cloth backing.....Bando has a lower line that don't work very well without auto tensioners.....They stretch like Gates belts.
Glad I am not the only one who has the same observations.

I stick with Mitsuboshi belts, but as far as the alternator goes, you might want to take a look and see if Bosch has a new (not reman) unit for your application. I wouldn't touch a Motorcraft reman with a 10 foot pole anymore, I've gone through their reman alternators like undergarments over the course of the past 11 years before I went with Bosch.

Edit, Bosch has a NEW part number, with a lifetime warranty, vs 2 year from Motorcraft
$168 delivered, vs the $142 delivered of the POS Motorcraft eBay reman, glad the seller is being a stand up guy and taking it back
Here's what that Motorcraft unit sounded like out of the box

Last edited:
Those goodyear gatorback belts work real good on cars with "loosely" fitted belts for generators. Certain generators require a loose belt, and they work great. Guess it a good thing I bought two last time, and am storing the unused one in a cool and dark place.

Those goodyear gatorback belts work real good on cars with "loosely" fitted belts for generators. Certain generators require a loose belt, and they work great. Guess it a good thing I bought two last time, and am storing the unused one in a cool and dark place.
It's not a potato. They last for years in a car exposed to heat. But it's probably dark there so maybe dark is all you need.

Back