NO MOBIL FOR ME AGAIN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only thing that bothers me about it is that many people who work just as hard if not harder, and are just as well educated with graduate degrees and such, such as public school teachers, often scrape by on less than 40k per year (before taxes) where teachers' unions are outlawed (such as in Georgia). This is not at all the place for a political debate. I'm just trying to make the point that while in fact I'm happy for the guy that he's rich in retirement, there are others just as deserving if not more so. Everybody should retire rich, so good for him.

In any case, I haven't given Exxon/Mobile any direct business since the Valdez spill. (Flame suit on!
128.gif
I know they're probably not any worse than the others, but it really upset me at the time, and my little ineffectual protest became habitual.)

This is not in any way intended to start an argument. I'm just stating my opinion, since the question was asked. Cheers, everybody.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
Please research the causes of the current gas price increase. Methinks a portion of it is MTBE to EtOH changeover.

Youthinks incorrectly, unless you mean a VERY small portion, like about 2.5 cents / gallon.

quote:

The only thing that bothers me about it is that many people who work just as hard if not harder, and are just as well educated with graduate degrees and such, such as public school teachers, often scrape by on less than 40k per year (before taxes) where teachers' unions are outlawed (such as in Georgia).

A well educated person would know the salary limitations of their chosen field and could have instead gone into the business world seeking a high paying corporate executive position.

quote:

The only thing that bothers me about it is that many people who work just as hard if not harder, and are just as well educated with graduate degrees and such, such as public school teachers, often scrape by on less than 40k per year (before taxes) where teachers' unions are outlawed (such as in Georgia).

Well, if the CEO is retiring, now would be a good time for those people to send in a resume.

with gas prices going up, everyone is looking for a reason to hate on the gas companies for anything

quote:

Originally posted by thunderchild:
I have heard that the outgoing head of Mobil is getting a $400,000,000 dollar retirement package! That's right, 400 million. A hair under half a BILLION!! . . .

I could live quite comfortably on that "hair".

quote:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Pablo:
Please research the causes of the current gas price increase. Methinks a portion of it is MTBE to EtOH changeover.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dinosauract
- Youthinks incorrectly, unless you mean a VERY small portion, like about 2.5 cents / gallon.

Slow down big fellow. Notice I did not say material cost (which you may be correct) - I said "changeover" - what I am talking about is the current inability in some markets to supply the ethanol, therefor causing some "temporary shortages"

http://money.cnn.com/2006/04/18/news/economy/gas_prices_ethanol/?cnn=yes

http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0419/p01s03-usec.html

Of course crude is the driver, but something else is fighting for the wheel.

Alex Rodriguez makes $25 million a year to play baseball, no baseball for me.

Movie Stars make $30 million and up for each motion picture, no movies for me.

Oprah Winfrey makes $30 million plus a year, no TV for me.

The guys who own GOOGLE made tons of money going public, no internet for me. Oh wait?

I don't buy it. In most industries, when record profits have been the norm for some time, investments are made in the infrastucture to plan for these events. Not so with big oil. Despite all the incoming revenues, these capabilities have not been improved, because it can simply be passed on as even more price increases, resulting in even more revenues.

I realize this is anecdotal and of no real hard consequence, but I was recently talking to an old friend who used to be an engineer at the chemical manufacturer where I am employed. He is now with a major oil company. He is a mid-level engineer. You don't want to know what his profit-sharing has come to in the last six months, but let's just say that at this rate he will be a millionaire in 2 years. This is a MID-LEVEL engineer, not senior management. I'm glad the employees are being treated well, but there is NO investment going on in improving infrastructure, and big oil (at least this complany) is just laughing at the record profits rolling in.

Also, being in the business, I can tell you with absolute certainty, ethanol is NOT in short supply.

TallPaul, Somebody has to educate the well educated, and should be properly rewarded for doing so, is all I'm saying. I don't begrudge anyone the money they earn, just the irrationality of distribution. I'm going to leave this topic alone now. It is better suited to a private, friendly debate over email.
cheers.gif

This fossilized debate brought to you by Inequality, Inc. "Inequality - welcome to life"

A-Rod and most of modern Hollywood can go to the devil, but I like Oprah, and need Google too much. johnsmith's stick-it-to-the-man rating = 5/10 (F)

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:

quote:

A well educated person would know the salary limitations of their chosen field and could have instead gone into the business world seeking a high paying corporate executive position.

TP:

You're usually pretty well on target, but you get a MISS for this one. You assume, incorrectly, that the only reasonable criterion to be used in selecting a career is income. You should be thankful that you're wrong on this, or our schools, public and private, would have no one worth salvaging. There are plenty of folks out there, very well educated, who've decided to pursue dreams other than wealth above all else. Teaching is the big one, of course, but you'd be surprised at how well educated certain segments of law enforcement are these days, the ministries, and the list goes on.

Some of the lowest-paid are in the fields harvesting the crops.

How I wish they could quit work for 6-months.

I'll sit back and watch society disintegrate as the starving masses riot and plunder.

If those execs disappeared for 6-months me-thinks all would just run as smoothly as ever.

The "old buddy" system is alive and well in corporate and political America.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back