No MObil 1 0w-40 at my Walmart. is 5w-40 Mobil1 just as good?

I heard on this website the 0w-40 Euro has a partularily good base stock better than 5w-40.
But that wa s acouple yeas ago and I know how things cnhange....

It is good but compare the approvals to satisfy you concern.
They appear to be the same.
Both of them have ACEA A3 which is the only one I look for.
I suspect 5w-40 will be just fine in vyehicles (I live in Florida) but I like ot get value for my money and if 0w-40 has the btter base stock I would like to stick with it.

No MObil 1 0w-40 at my Walmart. is 5w-40 Mobil1 just as good?
I don't want to be rude, but after being here 20+ years, you can't figure this out for youself?
Seriously, I mean you no ill will, but am I to take the inference that you believe one is assured good but the other possibly not "just as good"?

They appear to be the same.
Both of them have ACEA A3 which is the only one I look for.
I suspect 5w-40 will be just fine in vyehicles (I live in Florida) but I like ot get value for my money and if 0w-40 has the btter base stock I would like to stick with it.
How do you define "value for my money"?
I highly suspect you'd probably OCI either of these WAY before any minute difference would reveal itself, if ever at all. You're likely to OCI this lube out way before it would ever be at risk, and there is no "value" in waste, therefore your querry is likely moot.

Last edited:
I don't want to be rude, but after being here 20+ years, you can't figure this out for youself?
Seriously, I mean you no ill will, but am I to take the inference that you believe one is assured good but the other possibly not "just as good"?
I was legitimatly curious if there had been a change in the 5w-40 formulation vs a couple years ago .

Could I have spent some elbow grease and researched it on my own?

Sure, but since there are folks on here who are who hear the grass grow when it comes to oil, why bother when one could just ask here first?
The responses, tell me the answer is "no".

Posts beget more posts, which is traffic. which is good, this is a basic rule of forums, and something staff on forums will usually actively encourage.

Last edited:
I was legitimatly curious if there had been a change in the 5w-40 formulation vs a couple years ago .
The SP formulations are different, obviously, mainly for DI LSPI concerns. And also, to state the obvious yet again, there are differences between the two simply based on the characteristics (base stocks and VIIs) which achieve the targeted vis.

Could I have spent some elbow grease and researched it on my own?

Sure, but since there are folks on here who are who hear the grass grow when it comes to oil ...
Well, TBH, that was actually funny!

The responses, tell me the answer is "no".
Not true, see above.

Posts beget more posts, which is traffic. which is good, this is a basic rule of forums, and something staff on forums will usually actively encourage.
True. But such simple questions really get old. Ever hear the acronym LMGTFY?

When you ask if the 5w-40 is "just as good" as the 0w-40, you leave an empty field in which anyone can play. But because you've not well defined the game, some may be playing soccer, while others baseball, and others polo. How are YOU defining the phrase "just as good"?
- viscosity and it's effects in your specific environment? (and BTW, your profile says NY, so that misleads the answer, when you're in FL)
- application; what vehicle/engine is it going into?
- maintenance plan; what's your intended OCI? Will you do UOAs?
- etc.

It boils down to this ...
Are there differences between the 0w-40 and 5w-40 that, as they sit on the shelf in the bottle, could be described and debated ad nauseum? Yes.
Are there differences between the 0w-40 and 5w-40 that, as they sit in your crankcase, could be discerned by you and your engine? Not at all likely.

The SP formulations are different, obviously, mainly for DI LSPI concerns. And also, to state the obvious yet again, there are differences between the two simply based on the characteristics (base stocks and VIIs) which achieve the targeted vis.

Well, TBH, that was actually funny!

Not true, see above.

True. But such simple questions really get old. Ever hear the acronym LMGTFY?

When you ask if the 5w-40 is "just as good" as the 0w-40, you leave an empty field in which anyone can play. But because you've not well defined the game, some may be playing soccer, while others baseball, and others polo. How are YOU defining the phrase "just as good"?
- viscosity and it's effects in your specific environment? (and BTW, your profile says NY, so that misleads the answer, when you're in FL)
- application; what vehicle/engine is it going into?
- maintenance plan; what's your intended OCI? Will you do UOAs?
- etc.

It boils down to this ...
Are there differences between the 0w-40 and 5w-40 that, as they sit on the shelf in the bottle, could be described and debated ad nauseum? Yes.
Are there differences between the 0w-40 and 5w-40 that, as they sit in your crankcase, could be discerned by you and your engine? Not at all likely.
All this when you could’ve said no difference at all and possibly added to the conversation from the get go? Perhaps share the wealth and post a few links.

You’ve made your point.

This post piqued my interest, given that both BMW and Mobil 1 recommend 5W-40 Euro on my 2016 328i, rather than 0W-40 Euro. I live in cold Michigan, (7 F last night) and can reach over 100 F in the summer, but normally in the 80s/90s.

I have been complying but have found M1 0W-40 more widely available in my neck of the woods, and often more readily discounted. Consequently, my most recent purchase was a 5-quart jug of M1 0W-40, (Walmart $27), now sitting in the basement in anticipation of the next oil change. I let my oil indicator tell me when to change the oil, usually at twelve months as I only drive between 5 and 7,000 miles annually.

So my uncertainty remains. Why do both BMW and Mobil 1 continue to recommend 5W-40 over 0W-40.? Incidentally, BMW LL is NOT listed on the approvals for either of the Mobil 1 oils. I recall both Valvoline and Pennzoil are.

This post piqued my interest, given that both BMW and Mobil 1 recommend 5W-40 Euro on my 2016 328i, rather than 0W-40 Euro. I live in cold Michigan, (7 F last night) and can reach over 100 F in the summer, but normally in the 80s/90s.

I have been complying but have found M1 0W-40 more widely available in my neck of the woods, and often more readily discounted. Consequently, my most recent purchase was a 5-quart jug of M1 0W-40, (Walmart $27), now sitting in the basement in anticipation of the next oil change. I let my oil indicator tell me when to change the oil, usually at twelve months as I only drive between 5 and 7,000 miles annually.

So my uncertainty remains. Why do both BMW and Mobil 1 continue to recommend 5W-40 over 0W-40.? Incidentally, BMW LL is NOT listed on the approvals for either of the Mobil 1 oils. I recall both Valvoline and Pennzoil are.
Mobil 1 5w40 Euro is LL01 rated.

Thank you BMWTurboDzl. So does that mean I should stay with the 5W-40, or can I use the 0W-40 I have purchased? Or get creative and mix them 50/50, or use each in alternate oil changes? :unsure: Have had success with the OW-40 in older Mercedes and Porsche, but same issue with the VWs in my family all indicating a preference for 5W-40. My very limited knowledge/understanding tells me a 0W weight is preferrable is cold Michigan.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the BMW is a four-cylinder turbo. Previous vehicles have been six-cylinder no turbo. As you can see my family and I like playing German!

Thank you BMWTurboDzl. So does that mean I should stay with the 5W-40, or can I use the 0W-40 I have purchased? Or get creative and mix them 50/50, or use each in alternate oil changes? :unsure: Have had success with the OW-40 in older Mercedes and Porsche, but same issue with the VWs in my family all indicating a preference for 5W-40. My very limited knowledge/understanding tells me a 0W weight is preferrable is cold Michigan.

Don't know if it makes a difference, but the BMW is a four-cylinder turbo. Previous vehicles have been six-cylinder no turbo. As you can see my family and I like playing German!
Why would you mix them? That won't get you anything of an advantage. Neither will alternating the two products.

And it's not a 0W weight, the winter rating is essentially a performance specification. But unless you anticipate starting below about -35F then the oil with the 5W rating is acceptable.

If it were my BMW I would not hesitate to use the 0W-40 from Walmart despite not having BMW LL-01 approval. It does have a Mercedes-Benz and a Porsche approval which are both demanding approvals.

You have the N20(N26) so I would not have an issue with M1 0w40. The marketing for the current flavor of M1 0w40 states that the product exceeds the requirements of API SP. So you at least know that it could pass the TGDI timing chain wear test under API. The BMW N20(N26) had timing chain problems for years.

Perhaps in the near future M1 will update their 0w40 with LL01 like Castrol did last year (0w40 and 0w30 are both LL01)

You have the N20(N26) so I would not have an issue with M1 0w40. The marketing for the current flavor of M1 0w40 states that the product exceeds the requirements of API SP. So you at least know that it could pass the TGDI timing chain wear test under API. The BMW N20(N26) had timing chain problems for years.

Perhaps in the near future M1 will update their 0w40 with LL01 like Castrol did last year (0w40 and 0w30 are both LL01)

LL01 has a specific N20 timing chain test. I would stick to LL01-approved oil.
Castrol Edge 0W30 is now IMO the best option, however, not the cheapest.
Other:
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W40
Motul X-Cess GEN2 5W40.

Back