No Longer using Oil Analyzers...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I have always used Oil Analyzers because I order the sample kit with my oil. This is the last time.

I sent in my sample on 2/3/06 and they still as of today do not have the analysis done. When I call to check on it they give me the same excuse, "it's the USPS's slow service". This is not the first time as I have complained about this before. I guess I could send it via certified mail.

What are my other options? Blackstone, is this the only other company? What experiences have you had with Blackstone, and their completion time?

The reason these analysis's are completed is to find and prevent major engine problems. I personally find 2-3 weeks along time to find out that information.
mad.gif

Thanks for letting me vent

Pablo,

They won't say either way. In the past when I have called after waiting a couple of weeks they don't show they have the sample and then a week later I get the report in the mail.

Once again today they don't show them having the sample yet and or it is just not in the system. Kathy always blames it on the postal service. I would buy that excuse but this happens everytime.

Is there anyone on the west coast that does testing?

I used Blackstone for my only UOA. From the tim it left my door until the time the UOA reached me via email was less than a week and that included a weekend. They are excellent in my opinion.

There must be, but I'm only speculating. I mean there seems to be a whole bunch of labs in Canada for example.

My longest wait ever was Blackstone, btw. Almost a month once.

I do wish labs would be truthful when they get backlogged....eqmt down, lack of personnel, etc - we all know stuff happens.

I'm in the same queue from time to time. Sometimes a week, sometimes 2.5 weeks. It's like they have no goal to improve turnaround time.

Pablo nailed with with the question. If the USPS is at fault it's hard to blame Oil Analyzers. But if USPS is getting it there on time....

I've used Blackstone with virtually no problems. I did send two samples on the same Monday once. The first was received on time and I had the results back on the following Thursday like usual. However USPS didn't deliver the 2nd sample for nearly 3 weeks. Remember-these were mailed the same day. So there are a lot of cases where USPS is extremely slow.

Pablo,

I'm in Indy, which is only a couple hours from Blackstone in Ft. Wayne. I didn't realize the original poster is from Cali.

I can see it taking longer being out there, but waiting 2-3 weeks seems quite a long time to get the info.

What oil analysis lab are you using OILNEWBY?

If you want to stick to labs (besides Amsoil's) that support the message board, you have the following choices:

AVLube: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000025
Blackstone:
http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000032
Schaeffer's via Mark Smith: http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=000027
Schaeffer's sells UOA by the 6-pack, but the 6-pack price is reasonable.

There are others out there. I'd suggest trying our sponsors before trying anyone else.

I didn't realize you could send used motor oil through USPS...

If you are sending it first class usps I can see it taking up to two weeks before they get it. As we have had things sent from cali to ks and it took 2 weeks to get there(to ks), also seen it take 10-12 days just for the person in cali to recieve a MO from the midwest.

However, priority mail is smokin fast in some cases, as I have recieved a package in less than 48 hours from california.

Seems like I have my results back from Blackstone within a week and a 1/2 at the most after mailing it to them.

I think they are super quick!

Goose
patriot.gif

I've mostly had blazing service from Blackstone. One sample, however, did appear to take 3 weeks to get processed.

I think some of us are seeing side effects of anti-terrorist cautions on mailings. I can see someone getting written up for pounding the puppy on not doing their job ..and then, for a while ..going overboard and sidelining any package that has a hint of potential threat. It then hits a slow route ..sitting there doing nothing for about a week or two.

This sorta stuff is too random to be anything but an exceptional event. 90% or more get rapid turn around ...then one gets WAY delayed.

I've used Butler CAT for my UOAs since they're pretty close to CA. However, I've had some analysies take a month and others take a week. My guess is that the post office sees these odd black cylinders and impounds them on occasion for a while as a safety precaution.

have done 6 samples with Blackstone so far and everyone of them has been done in less than 1 week(sent US postal/e-mailed results). I am well over 2000 miles down the road from them here in NW Washington. Great service!!!

I delivered my last used oil sample for delivery to Blackstone on 01/07/06 to my local post office. I'd given up all hope of ever getting the report from that sample when my browser notified me of email on 02/09/06 - and there it was. I have no idea whether my sample got way-laid by the postal service along the route, despite having Blackstone's used oil MSDS letter prominently attached to the package's exterior, or whether Blackstone was just uncharacteristically backed up. I must not be the only one with this experience because Blackstone's site references problems with used oil sample deliveries because of post-9/11 Homeland Security issues. (That and he11 hath no fury like a disgruntled postal inspector "on a mission"...)

[ February 21, 2006, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: Ray H ]

We can't send UOA kits through the Canadian Postal Service.
They throw in garbage.
You have to put it in another package and just say it's a no value parcell.
When I do send to OA I get a fax back in 7 to 10 working days.

quote:

Is there anyone on the west coast that does testing?

Yes. Staveley Services in Portland, OR (and other locations in the country). They are the lab for the Chevron Lube-Watch program in this part of the country. Alternatively, walk into (or call) a Caterpillar dealership. Most of the larger ones that I know of (and many of the smaller ones) have oil analysis labs on-site.

Another option is to contact ANY major oil distributor in your area for UOA kits. I'd be willing to bet there is at least one very large oil analysis lab in the L.A. basin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back