No key in ignition, how long does your 12v last.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some vehicles, turn off the ignition and the 12v powerports turn off instantly.
Some stay on for a period of time.

Some other stay on indefinitely.

Some have ports which shut off instantly and some which stay on.

How about if your vehicle has dedicated USB powerports, do those stay on , or only for X amount of time after key removed and doors locked?

What does your vehicle have/allow?

Our Toyotas are both instantly off with the igniton, but the Silverado has a delay of, I believe, 10 minutes for a few of the ports.
The Camry also has a USB port that I don't really use because it is so glacially slow to charge, but that goes off with the ignition as well.

My Mercedes has an option where it normally shuts off with the ignition, but you can move the fuse to another slot next to it and it will stay on when the car is off.

Thanks for replies. I am guessing a majority of cars made in the last 10 years will have ports which shut down with, or shortly after the ignition?

There was an argument in a 'what if' situation, like in a blackout, and one still needed to recharge Ipads or cell phones, what they would do. most assumed their car was the easy answer, but what about locking the doors while phone charges?

Theres obvious a multitude of solutions to USB charging without the grid available to power them. Not interested in that

Perhaps those that assume their car will be the easy answer, will find that their 12vDC power ports, or 5vDC USB ports, need the key in the ignition or some other undesirable factor, in order to be able to use them should they have that requirement and no other option at some point in time.

My jeep came with the ports set to shut off with the key. But the fuse spots for them has 3 holes. You can move the fuse over and make them active all the time. I set the one in the dash to go out with the key and the ones in the console and rear to be on all the time.

If you can't get your ports to stay on then maybe a quick and dirty solution would be to just get a cig plug that clamps right on to the battery.
[Linked Image]

Last edited:
I wonder how many vehicles allow this fuse switching to enable live powerports all the time.

If one Mercedes allow this will all of them, If one FCA vehicle does, will all of them?

My caravan has 12v sockets wired to the key and other ones wired direct to the battery both in the middle console and rear of the vehicle (for a cooler) I also have the 110v AC plug which can run with the car off until the battery is low and then it cuts out automatically. The interior lights if left on will be shut off by the body computer to prevent a dead battery. The vehicle will also keep the radio running after the vehicle is switched off until I open the door or the timeout timer which can be set to various intervals, is exceeded. The lights come on by themselves and stay on for a period of time you can set, after you leave the vehicle. It also has illuminated approach if it's dark outside and the keyfob is triggered to unlock the doors.

Last edited:
The XTerra and Mustang have always-on 12v from the factory. I have added it, along with hardwired USB ports, in everything else in my signature.

Yes, even the bikes.

Last edited:
All the vehicles listed in my signature have no 12v ports live when the key is out.

Well, except the ultra modern '01 - the accessory port in the dash & in the bed are always hot.

my new F150 keeps the ports hot 24/7, which surprises me. It will also allow you to leave the headlights on until the battery dies if you leave the switch in the "on" position. In my past cars, they'd stay on by a timer when the key was turned off, only to be locked on for good if the driver re-selected 'on'. I'm surprised this is missing in the ford. It does have an "auto" setting which enables DRLs and light-sensing to switch between DRLs and dip beam, but I've found the logic in other vehicles to be more intuitive (honda, toyota, subaru, volvo), with and without DRLs. It's just a minor thing. I prefer to light them all front/rear all the time, so I just manually turn them on and off, something I haven't had to do in 15 years.

Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
I wonder how many vehicles allow this fuse switching to enable live powerports all the time.

If one Mercedes allow this will all of them, If one FCA vehicle does, will all of them?

Probably depends on the platform. May have fine on one platform and then they might have switched on another. Makes sense that it's Mercedes and FCA, at one point they were both the same company before the divorce so they shared some similar parts and setups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back