No Foil Seal On Home Depot Gallon Jug Of Masonry Sealer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p....ctor--waterproofer-379-l.1000430227.html
I was surprised to find no seal on the jug. The product is water based and without much odor, so someone could have bought it, taken it home and used half the jug and filled it back up with water and it would be tough to detect the tampering. With very liberal return policies I am sure it happens.

In my situation I think I got the genuine product because I measured its specific gravity with a refractometer and it was exactly the same as that of a little bit of sealer I had left over from the previous year.

Foil seals do not cost much, so why would Home Depot not use them?

This forum has made me really think about liquid containers and how they're sealed. I can't open any product without wondering about it's integrity.

Your complaint is with Behr, the manufacturer. If you are interested in a reasonably valid answer, contact Behr through their "contact us" tab on their website.

But did you also analyze the product with a mass spectrometer, just to be sure?

I bought a jug of oil from Wal Mart that when I got home, someone had filled it with what appeared to be used transmission fluid and returned it. I got stuck with it and the store refused to return it, accused me of being a thief right in front of all their customers, and I had to deal with corporate to get my money back after shaming them on Facebook. Now I always check the seal.

Checking it using a Refractometer to a known Sample seems like a good idea.

For ANY bottled products I buy ANYWHERE,
I check for Foil Seals before buying.
If NONE of the bottles had a Seal, then I grab one from the back of the shelf.
I check the container for dents, dirt or other tampering.

Like other poster said, your beef is with the Manufacturer, not Home Depot.
Any good manufacturer will use foil seals to insure a good product to maintain their good reputation.

Last edited:
I bought a quart bottle of Jescar Pro Lock Plus sealant, this is a $40-a-quart product, from an Amazon seller. When I got is the foil seal was loose and it seemed quite obvious the seller had opened it up and had polymer sealed 2-3 of his own cars before selling it to me. Seller was a detailing shop. Crooks. PM me for seller's name on request if you happen to be in the market and must buy from Amazon, and judge for yourself. Nice little business scam: buy it by the case from Jescar, open each bottle and detail a few cars, put the cap back on and sell it on Amazon for full retail price as new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back