No Edge at Wally World - "Cost too much"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Wally World yesterday for a 5 qt container of Mobil 1. Noticed that the previous large display of Castrol Edge was gone and could not find any Edge on the shelves. Asked a clerk and he said they got rid of it as no one was buying any as it "cost too much." Interesting. Anyone else seeing this come off of the shelves?

The shock to me was that they had it on the Wally shelves @$34.00(IIRC) a jug in the first place. IMO, that price wouldn't fit average Wally shopper profile. I know it was too rich for me.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
Why pay that when you can get PP for $19?

Because, then you wouldn't be thinking with your dipstick.

The WM in my area has never stocked Edge. I think I might be interested in trying Edge if I found it on closeout for $20.

This WM was out of the filter I was seeking so I went to PEP Boys. They had a roll of Edge in 5W30 and a roll of the 10W30. Their price, $7.99 a qt. and no jugs. Next to the Edge was Syntec at $6.99 a qt. Across the aisle was virtually every oil Mobil makes and all Mobil synthetics were $6.99 qt. Next to the Mobil oil was RP at 8.99 a qt.

To get the price point Castrol has targeted will require a lot of advertisement on TV using a gimmick better then monkeys and dip sticks. Castrol is going to have to show the advantages (as Castrol sees them) Edge has in way that prompts people to listen to the commercials without thinking them as stupid. Even with this approach they will have to wait to develop a customer base.

The other alternative is to reduce the price but if they do that then they will have Edge competing against Syntec.

So, Castrol’s challenge IMO is to make the public believe it is worth the price they have it priced, lower the price, or retire the Syntec band and have Edge take over that slot.

I for one am sure anxious to see a UOA for Edge.

now,now Castrol haters.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: lexus114
now,now Castrol haters.
LOL.gif

Hey i said i'd go against my code and buy it for $20.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: drivewaytech
Because, then you wouldn't be thinking with your dipstick.

In that ad in the car mags I swear it looks like the dude is actually holding a red handled tranny dipstick.
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back