No crying over spilled oil (M1 EP 5w-30)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I changed out 5w-20 PP with M1 filter for 5w-30 M1 EP with a Fram Ultra filter yesterday. The old oil had life left---less than 5K miles on it, but I wanted to get the 20-weight out for warm weather.

Being a good boy I stopped adding oil once it reached the Full line, which left a hair more than a half-quart in the jug. (4.1-quart sump plus a long filter=4.4-ish quarts.) Put the jug of M-1 on the floor of the passenger's side, tightened the cap---or so I thought---and drove off.

It spilled....Not bad, but as soon as I saw it I was so disgusted I dumped the rest of the jug in. Now my car is a half-quart over-filled. Will spare you another anguished "will the engine blow" post on this topic.

Anyone have this happen?

Also, since this is as good an oil/filter combo as it gets bought OTC for a DD, I plan to push the OCI as far as I can. Upper limits of OCI for a 15-year-old Saturn SL1 auto, 1.9 SOHC, mostly driven gently?

Fun times.

Originally Posted By: jdavis
Why bother putting that oil in a 15 year old Saturn?

1. I got an unreal deal on oil and filters with the M1 rebate and some coupon codes from Pep Boys, etc. The only oil I could have gotten cheaper was Peak on sale at Big Lots. (And I did grab a few quarts of that for top-offs.)

2. I want this car to last a loooong time---and to keep burning very little oil, for a Saturn, and providing relatively good pep and performance, for a Saturn. (emphasis on "relative" there)

I think you're making a mistake running a 20 weight oil in this car. I appreciate that you live in a colder climate and winter temps get low but once that oil is up to temp it is doing more harm than the negligible benefit it provided at startup. Find an 0w30 for winter.

Scratch that. Run 0w30 year round if you want. Run Amsoil SS 0w30 and change each Fall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Throt
I think you're making a mistake running a 20 weight oil in this car. I appreciate that you live in a colder climate and winter temps get low but once that oil is up to temp it is doing more harm than the negligible benefit it provided at startup. Find an 0w30 for winter.

Scratch that. Run 0w30 year round if you want. Run Amsoil SS 0w30 and change each Fall.

You guys are likely right about 5w-20 in a Saturn S-series. But where I live it gets cold in the winter and this past winter was brutal. I drive very gently 98% of the time. The car burns very little oil, for a Saturn. I will take each tenth of a mile of mpg I can get. I only considered a 20-weight synthetic; had I gone dino or even semi-syn HM I would have stuck with 30-weight.

And the real reason: My local WM only had PP five-quart jugs in 5w-20 when I bought it last fall. There was a $10 rebate on it that was gonna expire, (and which made PP cheaper than most dinos; that's the point where I buy but quick) and I did not want to go back to my least favorite store. So....5w-20 it was.

Anyway, it's got 5w-30 for the rest of this year. Maybe forever. We shall see.

Because he wants too. He could run peanut oil if he wants

Last edited:
You've overfilled it by around a half a quart.
The Saturn will quickly burn off the excess oil.
No worries.

Originally Posted By: Chuckinator

very very true

Originally Posted By: faramir9

It spilled....Not bad, but as soon as I saw it I was so disgusted I dumped the rest of the jug in. Now my car is a half-quart over-filled. Will spare you another anguished "will the engine blow" post on this topic.

Thank You!
happy2.gif

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
Originally Posted By: Chuckinator

very very true

+2. I am with the others as far as sticking with the 5w30. I doubt you damaged much, if anything using the 5w20 as most 5w30's shear to a 20 weight anyway.

Originally Posted By: ChevyBadger
Why are you putting 5w20 in a 15 year old Saturn? What does this achieve? 5w30 is spec'ed.

True, need that 0w-20, not 5w-20. Internals must be toast.
whistle.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back