Nitto NT05. Anyone have experience?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm about to pull the trigger on these.

From previous posts I've learned that they run narrow. What I'm not sure about, is it the tread width that's narrow or the sections width? I'm already pushing it with a 255/40/17 on the stock 8" rims. I don't want to go to a 265 unless the section width runs narrower. I'm also concerned about noise. The TL is very sensitive to what tires are on it.

My other choice would be the direzza star specs which I've heard were quiet and gripped very well.

These are going to be daily driven but I'm getting them specifically for my upcoming trip to Willow.
Any opinions??

GREAT trackday and autocross tire, very inexpensive (compared to the AD08, RE-11, RE01R, etc.) and is quoted to be just as fast. They are also reported to be much quieter on public roads than other high-performance tires. They are currently the top tire in the RedLine Time Attack series (street tire classes) in California.

The Dirreza's are also great, but the new Star Spec version comes up to temperature very quickly and may feel greasier as they get too hot. The first generation Z1 did not have this problem. BUT the Direzza Z1 SS is reportedly very good under braking, and on heavier cars than the Bridgestone and Yokohama competitors.

Go for the Nitto, they will be great tires for you! http://www.DiscountTireDirect.com currently has the best prices on them, and better yet free shipping and no Tax for you in CA as they will come out of the Phoenix warehouse :)

Yes, you're already pushing the fitment with 255/40-17 on the 8" rims, it should be on 9". If you want to go up 265/40-17 you need at least 8.5" wide rims with 9"-9.5" are preferred for that tire size.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver
GREAT trackday and autocross tire, very inexpensive (compared to the AD08, RE-11, RE01R, etc.) and is quoted to be just as fast. They are also reported to be much quieter on public roads than other high-performance tires. They are currently the top tire in the RedLine Time Attack series (street tire classes) in California.

The Dirreza's are also great, but the new Star Spec version comes up to temperature very quickly and may feel greasier as they get too hot. The first generation Z1 did not have this problem. BUT the Direzza Z1 SS is reportedly very good under braking, and on heavier cars than the Bridgestone and Yokohama competitors.

Go for the Nitto, they will be great tires for you! http://www.DiscountTireDirect.com currently has the best prices on them, and better yet free shipping and no Tax for you in CA as they will come out of the Phoenix warehouse :)

Thank you sir! You just put my mind at ease.

I would not worry about the width on the rim at all...yes, there is a recommended size to "square up" the tire on the rim, but for performance applications you can get away with quite a bit...you may lose some steering sharpness or turn-in crispness, but overall grip will increase with a larger tire.

Brands size their tires a bit differently as well, one manufacturer's 255 may be 8" wide and another brand may be 1/2-inch wider of tread width (shoulder to shoulder), so YMMV.

As a general rule, I fit the widest tire that will fit in the fender, NOT on the wheel width.

For example, my H-Stock Subaru (and D-Stock Integra Type-R) both use a 15x6" wheel, but we use 275/35-15 Hoosier A6 autocross tires. We also used to run 245's on 13x5" wheels on stock Hondas back in the late 90's. Lots of meat, lots of grip, small sacrifice on sharpness...but the clock does not lie.

Cliff Notes-- bigger is better, don't worry about the recommended wheel width...if it fits in the fender, it fits on the rim :)

275/35-15 Hoosier A6 on a '99 Miata (stock class), 15x6" wheel--

285on6-vi.jpg

WOW! I would not have thought a 275 would fit under a miata. Is the grip increase enough to out weigh the inertia of the tire during the lap?

Tire contact patch > everything, even rotational weight. If you can be on the gas through a corner or even gaining 1 or 2mph mid corner, it will always be worth it. Big patch = better braking, more transfer of power to ground (traction), and more lateral grip...lets you go fast where you need to (and stop NOW when you don't)....I'd rather have that on my side especially with a heavier car.

Wow, this is awesome info.

I've gotten too used to acurazine.com where the technical knowlege is lacking to say the least. I've been told I'm going to have a sidewall separation and kill innocent families for running my 255s on an 8" rim. I've always run a 275 on a 7" rim on the stock GN rims and 295s on 8.5" rims so the info I've gotten over there seemed fishy.

I've been told that I won't have a flat contact patch even though it's perfect. Maybe 265s are the way to go....

I'm a little disappointed, can't find a 265 for a 17" rim and I have no idea if the 275s will rub as most people don't do this to a FWD sedan. 255s it is, I guess.

I'll say that just about any time you're at the track find a Mustang with stock 17x8 rims on it and I'd bet that they have 275/40/17's on the back. I did on my stockers and they were fine.

Like I said in the thread where I suggested them, stop by a Discount Tire and ask them to see one in the size you have now and the size you want to switch to. Take them out and compare them to the tires you have now. I'll bet that the 265 or 275 puts the same tire patch on the ground as your 255's do. Nitto's run quite a bit narrower than other brands of the same size.

Originally Posted By: Solo2driver

Cliff Notes-- bigger is better, don't worry about the recommended wheel width...if it fits in the fender, it fits on the rim :)

The problem with Cliff Notes is that you miss the parts that make it interesting - and this is a good example.

Many rules in racing limit the width of the rim. Putting on a tire that is wider than allowable is just a way to circumvent the rules.

But if you have the opportunity, it is better to use a properly sized rim.

Oh, and you might find this interesting:

http://www.performancesimulations.com/fact-or-fiction-tires-1.htm

I had a set of Nitto 555r tires on my RMS (275/50/15s) and they to date have been one of the worst set of tires I owned. Rain wise they were fine, but for a drag radial, I've gotten more traction from an UHP summer tire. the BFGs DRs in this case out performed them by leaps and bounds.

Originally Posted By: Buffman
I had a set of Nitto 555r tires on my RMS (275/50/15s) and they to date have been one of the worst set of tires I owned. Rain wise they were fine, but for a drag radial, I've gotten more traction from an UHP summer tire. the BFGs DRs in this case out performed them by leaps and bounds.

The Nitto DR's that most drag racers use aren't that great of a tire, I agree. To get traction with them you have to do a pretty lengthy burnout and get them very hot. The BFG DR's are a much better drag tire but don't do near as well if the weather is anything but warm & dry.

Originally Posted By: AdRock

The Nitto DR's that most drag racers use aren't that great of a tire, I agree. To get traction with them you have to do a pretty lengthy burnout and get them very hot. The BFG DR's are a much better drag tire but don't do near as well if the weather is anything but warm & dry.

Agreed. I've run a few sets of both. It seems like the difference is even greater at the track. On the Nittos, I can't even think about going wide open below 70mph. On the BFGs as long as I ease it down slowly and the road surface is nice, I can floor it as low as 50mph and not see too much spinning.

Like an idiot, I have been known in my younger days to do a burnout at a redlight in anticipation of a race. It's embarassing thinking about it now.

The burnout required to get my set hot enough to even think about sticking was out of hand. On the street, I could go WOT from a stop with the BFGs with very minimal wheel spin. The best were the MT ET Drags. They're sticky before you even put them on the car. I could launch on the street with NO wheel spin. However over 50mph on the street, and they were no fun (rear end swaying)

The burnout required to get my set hot enough to even think about sticking was out of hand. On the street, I could go WOT from a stop with the BFGs with very minimal wheel spin. The best were the MT ET Drags. They're sticky before you even put them on the car. I could launch on the street with NO wheel spin. However over 50mph on the street, and they were no fun (rear end swaying)

If I ever go with a DR, the MT ET Radials will be the ones. I hear nothing but great things about them, unlike the other two which I always hear mixed things about.

I've got the Hoosier Quick Time Pros on the car pretty much all the time now. I'm always worried on weekends I'm going to get pulled over for drunk driving with all the sway.

I've got some 295/45/R18 NT05 sitting in the garage. They are going on my car tomorrow.

I thought about getting drag radials but after reading the reviews on these tires I have hopes that they will hook up pretty good from a dig at the drag strip. I only have a mustang with intake/tune and 4.10 gears so it's not a highly modded car.

We'll see what happens..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back