Nitrogen Enriched Shell - Increase in MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mez

Now that Nitrogen Enriched Shell has been out for awhile, has any one determine a increase in MPG in their cars? if so how much?

I'm using it, no increase in mpg's. My wallet is a little lighter, since around here it sells for close to 10 cents a gallon more than other top tier gas.

I plan on no longer using it. The price when it was the same as top tier gas was OK. Now at a dime higher, yesterday was the last time for me, unless they price it inline with the competition in my area.

I've been using it since it came out and no difference. I'll still use it, didn't expect a mpg change but hopefully it keeps the fuel system and intake valves clean over the long haul.

Originally Posted By: mez
Now that Nitrogen Enriched Shell has been out for awhile, has any one determine a increase in MPG in their cars?

Why? Does Shell claim that it's going to improve MPG? AFAIK, the main benefit is supposed to be cleaner fuel system (minimized deposits), not better MPG.

FYI, I haven't noticed any MPG improvement on it.

Shell is as cheap as anything around here and I've been using it for the last 6 months or so. NO discernible difference in mileage, but I don't suspect my car was crudded up to begin with.

I'm assuming the 'nitrogen' is just deposit cleaning amines.
Stupid marketing!

Shell is a top tier fuel. Sure, the 'nitrogen' is just marketing, but around here the price is similar to any other gas station. And, I'm willing to pay a couple pennies more to avoid a generic station. I wouldn't use a non top tier fuel without fuel additives.

And, I didn't see any MPG change from the switch to nitrogen. It could be the same ol' fuel with a different advertising campaign. What was wrong with "v-power" anyway?

Here's your nitrogen:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amine

So it has some PEA/PBA in it? hasn't it always?

http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html

I was using a really [censored] supplier for fuel before because I got a $0.44/gal ($0.10/liter) discount and would just add my fuel additive to it to make me sleep better at night. I then switched to Shell-Nitrogen as per Terry Dyson's advice with the same additive and saw a nice mileage increase of about 50KM/tank (30 miles)

I don't attribute this to Shell, but because I was using [censored] gas before that which was probably robbing me of fuel economy.

I still get between 10 and 20% better mpg on Shell V Power over all other fuels including TT brands. That being said the Nitrogen enriched has not helps MPG, but has improved smoothness.

I doubt it's anything special at all. Probably the same chemistry as before but with new marketing. PEA hardly new, and you will get alot more nitrogen enrichment from a bottle of Regane or any other PEA based cleaner.

Personally I'm boycotting Shell gas, and SOPUS products (Pennzoil, Gumout, Black Magic etc) because of RDS's continuing activities/investment in Iran. They are pretty much the last western with a US presence to have an ongoing presence in Iran.

Last edited:
Now that Nitrogen Enriched Shell has been out for awhile, has any one determine a increase in MPG in their cars? if so how much?

mez,

Can't try it cuz it costs too much!!!! At $3.69/gallon/regular how can anyone dare use it???!!!

Durango

Shell is ok, but my V6 Duratec runs best on BP with Invigorate!
Most of the gas stations around here are within a nickel of each other for regular. (Except the Gulf re-branded Exxons'...they seem to be much higher for a pretty generic Gulf/Cumberland Farms product)

I took a look today, and of the brand name gas in my area, Shell is the most expensive. I can get Sunoco, or BP for about 10 cents a gallon less. No name gas about 15 cents less, on average that is.

I have wanted to try it, but the wife refuses to let that happen due to the origin of Shell's refined products.

Originally Posted By: Durango

mez,

Can't try it cuz it costs too much!!!! At $3.69/gallon/regular how can anyone dare use it???!!!

Durango

huh. BP regular was $2.37 here (well, in NJ) yesterday. I think I saw some shell in PA for about $2.65, IIRC.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
I have wanted to try it, but the wife refuses to let that happen due to the origin of Shell's refined products.

Huh??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back