Nitrogen Enriched Shell - Increase in MPG?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many may not believe it, it's not perfectly scientific, but I have measured 5% - 10% increases in mileage with Shell V-power (not just the nitrogen stuff) over a long period of time. Applies to both the Miata and the RX-8 (piston and rotary). I'm convinced there's something there that gives higher mileage.

YMMV.

mpvue,

For that price I'll use Arco anytime but in my neighborhood that Shell station owner should be shot.

OH by the way, since our economy is better the price just risen another 5 cents/gallon of regular!

Again, would you use Shell with Nitrogen that approaching almost 4 dollars/gallon of regular??? Just another price gouching thing again due to our economy getting better. The game still goes on BUT our government CAN't do anything about it again.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Originally Posted By: badtlc
I have wanted to try it, but the wife refuses to let that happen due to the origin of Shell's refined products.

Crude oil?

Correct.

I have wanted to try it, but the wife refuses to let that happen due to the origin of Shell's refined products.

Crude oil?

Correct.

Can you elaborate a little? I really like their product but not enough to continue using it if what you say is true.

Originally Posted By: BuickGN

Crude oil?

Correct.

Can you elaborate a little? I really like their product but not enough to continue using it if what you say is true.

They purchase their oil from the Middle East. We stick to companies who procure their oil from regions like North America or Asia.

Doesn't mean that much. Oil companies can and do sell to one another. To say nothing about how a refinery serves different brands.

The source of the oil used to make gasoline is going to be mostly dependant on where you live in the US. If you live in the coastal regions, chances are the gasoline is made of imported oil. That's just the way it is.

If wanted a "nitrogen enriched" gasoline I would buy a bottle of Techron concentrate or any other PEA based cleaner. That's going to be much more effective dose, than the low levels of additives in road gasoline.

For me the issue with Shell Oil/Products is the companies ongoing operations in Iran, even though they are not importing that stuff as raw materials to the US.

It would be nice if there was an oil company which advertised 100% US or North American Gasoline. I would be willing to pay more for that, vs making some saudi prince that much richer. .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ionbeam22
The source of the oil used to make gasoline is going to be mostly dependant on where you live in the US. If you live in the coastal regions, chances are the gasoline is made of imported oil. That's just the way it is.

Not from the literature the companies produce, their financial records, and from calls to the companies themselves.

I can tell you Phillips66/Conoco/76 do not use middle eastern oil, anywhere in this country.

My local shell station doesn't use nitrogen gas, there is no label or anything. I wonder if it's voluntary to use the product?

it's not voluntary, shell can be sued for false advertising if a dealer opted against having the nitrogen tank installed.
the local shell dealer here told me he had 30 days to get the tank installed of shell would come and lock him down until he complies, or take the dealership away from him.

Shell gas might be in the top tier field, but my cars always run poorly on it.

Originally Posted By: EricF
it's not voluntary, shell can be sued for false advertising if a dealer opted against having the nitrogen tank installed.
the local shell dealer here told me he had 30 days to get the tank installed of shell would come and lock him down until he complies, or take the dealership away from him.

What in the [censored] are you talking about? Nitrogen tank???
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

My fuel mileage did not improve on Shell NE fuel. I normally run Chevron or Union-76. The only difference I noticed between the Shell fuel and other Stations is the smell. Shell has a stronger smell.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D
Originally Posted By: EricF

What in the [censored] are you talking about? Nitrogen tank???
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Maybe he is thinking of the nitrogen used to inflate tires, but I don't see why shell would do this unless it has become a law in his state that gas stations provide nitrogen for tires to improve fuel mileage, since compressed nitrogen is more temp stable than straight compressed air and it does leak out as quick as air.

Not to hijack this thread, but nitrogen in your tires does NOT improve fuel economy. True the nitro does not leak out as readily as regular compressed air, which is the only reason there may be a miniscule economy improvement. When the tires are properly inflated, it makes no difference if it's nitro or not.

I used it for a month in my Passat 1.8t & saw a drop of 2 mpg, and had cold start issues as well. Went back to my usual Phillips 66 fuel & all is well again after several full tanks.

The Shell gas has a very good add pack, I use it whenever I can. Ran several tanks of BP for awhile and saw a slight decrease in mpg's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back