Nissan's and Heavier Weight Oil !

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do Nissan owners and others mean when they say that Nissan/Infinity engines like heavier weight oil?
dunno.gif
Do heavier oils like X-W-40,(compared to X-W-30) help to quiet the engines or make them seem more smooth, or is it that the UOA's show less ware? I've done a search and can't seem to come up with and answer, only the coments. Just what is the real deal here?
confused.gif

Have you checked the used oil engine analysis forum? I'm not sure that comparing different oils in different engines will provide a definite answer, but it should be interesting reading.

I have learned here that worrying about noise is a useless worry. Use what's recommended for your climate. I have tried GC and it hurt my MPG. I went to 5w30 and MPG issue seems to have gone bye bye. Noise is not a big deal.

I think the VQ 3.5 likes a heavier oil. But other Nissans are fine on a 30 wt. The Sr20DE is fine with 30 wt. And really the VQ 3.5 doesn't really "need" it. It just seems to lower the lead numbers a bit.

Nissans have the steel time chain good for 200K miles, I will not use a 40 weight on a newer Nissan but I use a HDEO 0-30 CI-4/SL syn, it is a very heavy 30. There are many concerned on timing chain lubrication, the Japanese have been concerned with the thinner new oils now and chain lube. Also, a Nissan does not make as tight clearances as say a Honda requiring 20 weight oils. I have driven Nissan/Datsun for 28 years now, they do great on heavier oil, as they age to 300K I use 40 weight in them.

For example, in my manual for my 05 QR25DE 4 cylinder, Nissan will allow me to use a 10-40 oil in temp range from 0F and up, that is a thick oil for winter in a four banger, and Nissan usually shows preference to dino oils too, I always use syn oil in them, no problem. 5-30 is generally
the perfered all temp oil for Nissan.

Cyprs

I have a '92 Nissan with the Sr20DE motor, and as you might have guessed, I'm in NJ where the temps can go down to 0, and like last summer be 90+ many days.

Well, not knowing anything about oil when I got the car, someone suggested "a good thick synthetic" for it when it was new. OK...so I pick the Syntec 5W-50 which has been used in this 4 banger since the factory fill was drained! It now has about 185,000 on it and has only been off of the 5-50 for about a year now. (I know slightly more) Never did a UOA on this motor, but it still hauls *** and does not burn any oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back