Nissan Xterra vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

Xterra’s are fun. It’s a true body on frame Ute with a truck-derived drivetrain, and a perfect size for both commuting and play. The torsion bar front suspension can be lifted and lowered with two smallish wrenches by adjusting the preload, about under the front driver and passenger floor pans. They take well to a mild lift, and in my experience don’t need much upkeep. I’m not as familiar with the chain guide issues … we had a 97 pathfinder, and i helped a friend who bought a used Xterra - I would not shy someone away from one. I would choose an xterra over a pathfinder every day of the week.
Torsion bars went away in 2005. The 2nd gen Xterra's are very different than the 1st gen, it was a clean slate. Still body on frame, but more power, more stable, more space, more everything really.

I do think there likely the most under-rated vehicles ever made. I bought mine on a total whim. However in true Nissan fashion, they got about 95% to perfection and dropped the ball a little on the last 5% which gave the Nissan haters something to groan about . If you can get past those couple things they will last forever.

I’d say, try and find a 2009+ Xterra or Pathfinder. They fixed the timing chain tensioner guide issues starting in 2009. The SMOD issue is an easy one - like one of the previous posters said, just swap out to an aftermarket radiator. They’re cheap to buy and is a fairly easy DIY task. I own a Pathfinder of that era that I got a good deal on at the time and it’s been a great vehicle. It’s quiet, reliable, cheap to maintain, is quiet cruising on the freeway, the 4L is plenty powerful, has tons of space and very comfortable front seats.
Probably test drive both and see. I’m admittedly biased against Stellantis products but that’s because I knew some of the engineers who worked there and hearing their tales.

Maybe a 4x4 Trailblazer, Envoy, Ascender, Rainier would be slightly more reliable. They're all the same platform and maybe there's a cream puff in the wild. My grandparent's '02 Trailblazer was decent.
This is what I wound up going with! The Trailblazer really wasn't on my radar before but I found one in very good mechanical condition with no rust, nice new tires, and overall pretty clean so I decided to pull the trigger. Been kind of stuck in "analysis paralysis" for a bit. I'm not really a Chevy guy but I eventually came to the conclusion that condition matters more than brand when looking at older vehicles.

This is what I wound up going with! The Trailblazer really wasn't on my radar before but I found one in very good mechanical condition with no rust, nice new tires, and overall pretty clean so I decided to pull the trigger. Been kind of stuck in "analysis paralysis" for a bit. I'm not really a Chevy guy but I eventually came to the conclusion that condition matters more than brand when looking at older vehicles.
Very nice. We sold my grandparent's '02 5 years ago to my housekeeper, but I actually saw it a couple weeks ago, it's still kickin. It was a loaded LTZ.

1459BC35-B25B-456E-A009-C10B8F565C96.jpeg

Looking at about the 2005-2008 range. No towing and the vehicle will only be driven about 5k per year so power and fuel economy aren't of huge concern. Whatever vehicle I choose will get a pre-purchase mechanical inspection and then I'll bring it up to date on any maintenance. Anyone with direct experience with these? Is one significantly more reliable?
I had a 2010 JGC and it was the worst vehicle Ive ever owned. It was like it was made out of recycled condoms and re-melted tin soldiers.

Back