Nissan Xterra vs Jeep Grand Cherokee

Looking at about the 2005-2008 range. No towing and the vehicle will only be driven about 5k per year so power and fuel economy aren't of huge concern. Whatever vehicle I choose will get a pre-purchase mechanical inspection and then I'll bring it up to date on any maintenance. Anyone with direct experience with these? Is one significantly more reliable?

Last edited:
The Nissan 4.0 V-6 of that era had real problems with the timing chain guides. If you buy one, make sure that they were replaced and even if they were, you should be aware that they can fail again. There was also an issue of the internal-to-the-radiator trans cooler developing a leak and grenading the auto trans as coolant leaked into it. This was, if I remember correctly, fixed with a different radiator or by using an external cooler and bypassing the one in the radiator.

I have a 2015 JGC with the 3.6. It only has 58k miles but they have been trouble free.
One known issue is the oil filter cartridge housing which sets on top of engine in the V leaking. As far as I know the problem comes from over torquing and bad angles when changing. I do all my own oil changes and take extra care.

I own a 2008 Xterra. It has been the absolute best vehicle I have ever owned. It was my first Nissan. It now has 386K miles on it - all mine. The biggest concern is SMOD - defective radiator leaking into the transmission and killing it. There was a class action on it. Its a really easy fix - replace the radiator - problem solved. The problem is buying a used one that already had it - the PO hid it and is now dumping it. Be weary of a used one with a brand new radiator and or brand new coolant and ATF.

If you can afford a 2011+ buy it. All the problems were solved. SMOD was gone, the tensioner guide issue was gone, the IPDM failures were fixed. I have a 2011 Frontier (identical drivetrain). Its at 148K miles and now 11 years - ZERO problems.

I owned a Jeep GC prior to it - a 2002, but that was very different than the 2005+. I loved my 2002 as well, but it beat itself to death. Trim, interior, suspension, brakes - all designed to wear out - replaced multiple times. No idea how that translates to the newer ones but I would try to find one with the 4.7. That was an old AMC design and was bulletproof - at least mine in the 2002 was. The 3.7 and 5.7 had a number of problems - like 3.7 rod bearing failure I think was one of them.
you should be aware that they can fail again.
Highly unlikely they will fail a second time. The timing chain guides failed because whomever was stamping the chain links used the die's too long and didn't check for burrs. In addition to correcting that problem Nissan also updated the chain design to carry more oil up, and they improved the material in the secondary tensioner guides. My 2008 wore out at around 200K - sounded like I had a super charger. Replaced everything but literally the only thing remotely worn at that mileage were the secondary guides. If you have heard of more than 1 failure in a rig - and I have- its because a couple guys on the boards had them replaced more than once under warranty - before Nissan fixed their issues.

I own a 2008 Xterra. It has been the absolute best vehicle I have ever owned. It was my first Nissan. It now has 386K miles on it - all mine. The biggest concern is SMOD - defective radiator leaking into the transmission and killing it. There was a class action on it. Its a really easy fix - replace the radiator - problem solved. The problem is buying a used one that already had it - the PO hid it and is now dumping it. Be weary of a used one with a brand new radiator and or brand new coolant and ATF.

If you can afford a 2011+ buy it. All the problems were solved. SMOD was gone, the tensioner guide issue was gone, the IPDM failures were fixed. I have a 2011 Frontier (identical drivetrain). Its at 148K miles and now 11 years - ZERO problems.

I owned a Jeep GC prior to it - a 2002, but that was very different than the 2005+. I loved my 2002 as well, but it beat itself to death. Trim, interior, suspension, brakes - all designed to wear out - replaced multiple times. No idea how that translates to the newer ones but I would try to find one with the 4.7. That was an old AMC design and was bulletproof - at least mine in the 2002 was. The 3.7 and 5.7 had a number of problems - like 3.7 rod bearing failure I think was one of them.

Highly unlikely they will fail a second time. The timing chain guides failed because whomever was stamping the chain links used the die's too long and didn't check for burrs. In addition to correcting that problem Nissan also updated the chain design to carry more oil up, and they improved the material in the secondary tensioner guides. My 2008 wore out at around 200K - sounded like I had a super charger. Replaced everything but literally the only thing remotely worn at that mileage were the secondary guides. If you have heard of more than 1 failure in a rig - and I have- its because a couple guys on the boards had them replaced more than once under warranty - before Nissan fixed their issues.
I wish the 2011+ was in my price range but it's not unless I finance some of the purchase which I don't want to do. Good info on the 4.7 too. Thanks!

I wish the 2011+ was in my price range but it's not unless I finance some of the purchase which I don't want to do. Good info on the 4.7 too. Thanks!
If you can find one with a manual transmission - they exist but there rare - you have no SMOD issues.

2002-2004 Grand Cherokee was much better than the 2005-2008 in my opinion from a reliability, ease of maintenance, and build quality perspective. Others may disagree, but there are several around here that are pretty beat but keep on going with 250k+ miles on them. The issue is finding one in decent shape, but I think they would be better than both the vehicles you suggested.

What's your use for the vehicle? I don't know much about the Nissan, but that was a pretty rough time for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can't even remember the last time I saw one of those on the road.

As much of a Grand Cherokee fan as I am, I do not like the WK (2005-2010). Only gen I have absolutely no interest in owning.

2002-2004 Grand Cherokee was much better than the 2005-2008 in my opinion from a reliability, ease of maintenance, and build quality perspective. Others may disagree, but there are several around here that are pretty beat but keep on going with 250k+ miles on them. The issue is finding one in decent shape, but I think they would be better than both the vehicles you suggested.
My dad had a 2004 GC with the straight 6 there was so much room to work under the hood. The gas mileage wasn't great, but that engine was reliable. I wish I would have bought it from him.

I absolutely loved my 2002 Limited - 4.7 4wd. I wish I had not parted with it - but like I said, they fall apart around the drivetrain which would likely last forever. I imagine this is why you can't find them anymore, they were likely literally driven to the junk yard and left. Even around here there aren't many left, and there is no salt here.

What's your use for the vehicle? I don't know much about the Nissan, but that was a pretty rough time for a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I can't even remember the last time I saw one of those on the road.
Just back and forth to work, take the kids to school, and drive the wife to work when it snows.

as a prior owner of a jeep WK, grand Cherokee 2005-2008, I would not own another.

pro’s. Basic car functions were great. Handled well, drove well, good heat and air, excellent seats front and back. WA580 transmission is a very, very good transmission. fuel economy, unmodified, with the 3.7 was respectable. Visibility was good, minus thick A-pillars. There are probably more pros, decent stereo, good dash lighting at night. Good headlights, some of the best I’ve owned, tepid high beams. I liked the 3.7 - earlier years had more torque though, latter years were more car-like. There was a big difference.

cons. Chassis was not rigid, quite disappointing for a supposed 4x4. mine had a leak at the fuel rail that came and went. Very odd. It would also stumble at idle, sometimes triggering a lurch forward as the engine rev’ed while in gear. It would do it in reverse too, you know, when you need to control your speed (and yes, as a bitoger, I checked codes and replaced things). It died completely twice, lighting up like a Christmas tree, and running fine on restart. Chassis would flex just driving down the road. You could place your fingers where to top of the door meets the roof and feel the door shift up and down. A-pillars are known to permanently bend if you fling the front doors open. Some were known for poorly aligned rear axle housings… Chrysler spec’ed a 140wt oil, wonder why. Front diff bushings were known to go prematurely bad. Techs didn’t like giving it an alignment. They said Chrysler used 1 less adjustment than other vehicles on the front end, so they had to go back and forth with the adjustments it did have until the combination yielded the right results. My AC control doors were never quite right, never quite blowing out the correct vents.

if you wanna jeep, skip that generation. I think the wk2 is probably better sorted, and the previous WJ is super long-lived as well, as long as you could deal with AC blend door issues and Chrysler electronics.

Just back and forth to work, take the kids to school, and drive the wife to work when it snows.
Maybe a 4x4 Trailblazer, Envoy, Ascender, Rainier would be slightly more reliable. They're all the same platform and maybe there's a cream puff in the wild. My grandparent's '02 Trailblazer was decent.

I appreciate everybody's feedback! I'm not in a big rush so I've still got time to brainstorm and maybe think of some other options. Thanks everyone!

Well, it was a Jeep Grand Cherokee that finally sold me on Range Rovers.....

We had two WK's in the family, a 2005 and 2008, and both were problematic, drivetrain and electronics. Also, interior material quality wasn't great. The final straw was when the 2008's transfer case shifted itself into neutral uncommanded. Got rid of it the week after I got it back from the Dealer.

I hear they are much better as of late.

Xterra’s are fun. It’s a true body on frame Ute with a truck-derived drivetrain, and a perfect size for both commuting and play. The torsion bar front suspension can be lifted and lowered with two smallish wrenches by adjusting the preload, about under the front driver and passenger floor pans. They take well to a mild lift, and in my experience don’t need much upkeep. I’m not as familiar with the chain guide issues … we had a 97 pathfinder, and i helped a friend who bought a used Xterra - I would not shy someone away from one. I would choose an xterra over a pathfinder every day of the week.

Back