Nissan Sentra 1.8L AC Hose Swap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello biotgers! My ac on the Sentra (225k miles) decided to call it quits this Sunday so now I have two temperatures...Hot and hotter. So naturally I figured it was low on refrigerant but I did some snooping around under the hood before adding any since now I have about 6 months or so to figure it out before the temps start creeping back up outside. First thing I checked was to make sure the compressor was kicking on...Check....Touch the high/low pressure lines to feel for a temperature difference....Nothing....Now bear in mind the car has not been cooling real good since we've had it for the past year or so. I assumed that's just how it was and lived with it. So I looked at the hoses first....High pressure hose looked fine, but, the low pressure hose had oil weeping (very very very slow/small leak) at the fitting where the rubber hose is crimped onto the metal line. So I have one of those ordered and on the way. So after spending all day searching the forums I have a few questions. First I'm not sure there is any 134a left in the system to be honest, but, if there is how could I check before popping off the hose? Maybe at the schrader valve? I'm not sure if a stop leak additive was ever used in this system so will I have to worry about that gunk hardening as soon as air gets to it when the lines off? Because I do not know about the stop leak should I look into running a solvent flush through there? Do I need to worry about adding any more pag oil in the line (haynes manual says nothing about adding oil when replacing hoses...They don't even mention replacing the hoses)? I'm going to put the system under vacuum for a bit after the hose is replaced before adding 134a back so if there is any of that stop leak/solvent will that cook it off? And finally I'm looking to add Arctic Freeze as it seems consensus that is supposed to be good on the posts I read. Would you guys recommend getting a can with the uv dye for easier ac leak diagnosis in the future?

Hey Chris thanks! I tried to read up and study before posting to save some headaches all the way around! It also helps that many moons ago my dad was a house ac tech. So am I looking at adding something like http://www.walmart.com/ip/PAG-100-with-ICE-32-Oil-Charge/16888788 and should I add all 3 oz's? Next question is if so do I add that first and is it under pressure like the other 134a cans?

Edit: After watching Scotty Kilmer videos I'm not entirely sure solvent will do much if anything due to how restrictive the condenser coil is. Plus I'm not changing out the compressor so seems like the solvent flush is not the way to go

Last edited:
Any time a line is opened to replace a part, you need to evacuate the system. This means owning or borrowing a gauge manifold and vacuum pump. I would not add oil for a hose replaced due to slow leak. Look for other leaks especially at the connections between the compressor and condenser. This line runs hot, which tends to harden the o-rings and cause leaks.

The presence of the hardening type of stop-leak requires replacement of the whole system. There is no good way to remove it.

Originally Posted By: Rtstrider
Hey Chris thanks! I tried to read up and study before posting to save some headaches all the way around! It also helps that many moons ago my dad was a house ac tech. So am I looking at adding something like http://www.walmart.com/ip/PAG-100-with-ICE-32-Oil-Charge/16888788 and should I add all 3 oz's? Next question is if so do I add that first and is it under pressure like the other 134a cans?

Edit: After watching Scotty Kilmer videos I'm not entirely sure solvent will do much if anything due to how restrictive the condenser coil is. Plus I'm not changing out the compressor so seems like the solvent flush is not the way to go
Don't use the pressurized cans. Buy a bottle at the auto parts store and pour the oil into the system then vacuum it. I would add at least 3oz myself if I did this job.

Like anything else a little bit more oil is better than not enough.An extra ounce or 2 wont effect cooling enough to matter.

Just wanted to ping in and give an update. My stepson and I got the low side hose replaced Friday night. The side that connected to the compressor was a piece of cake. The side that went into the firewall gave me a whole new vocabulary lol But we did get that done. Saturday I hooked it up to vacuum for a bit to get all of the air out, charged it up with r134a and so far so good! Hoping all is well next year when it's absolutely needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back