Nissan says 2000 mile oil changes

Kia wants oil changes every 3750 miles or six months for severe use, just about everyone is in the severe use category.
  • Repeated short distance driving.
  • Driving in dusty conditions or sandy areas.
  • Extensive use of brakes.
  • Driving in areas where salt or other corrosive materials are being used.
  • Driving on rough or muddy roads.
  • Driving in mountainous areas.
  • Extended periods of idling or low-speed operation.
  • Driving for a prolonged period in cold temperatures and/or extremely humid climates.
  • More than 50% driving in heavy city traffic during hot weather above 90 degrees Fahrenheit.
Red is southern-most states for three seasons, and Blue would be Northern states for one season.

I would not say everyone, but It appears that you are stuck in the Red ! :)

I do mine around 4K miles (6K km) but I do not have short trips and the engine always has time to warm up well.
If I had short trips and cold engine I would NOT go over 2K miles in order to keep the engine from future problems.
I guess if one only keep a car around 3 yrs all this is moot.

Nonsense. Many different factors must be considered when determining the proper service interval. I think that portion of the video was skipped in fast-forward, would like to see that if anyone can find it.

Nissan used to be 3570 Mile intervals when they used bulk 5w30. In 2016 or so can’t remember, they went to full synthetic 0w20 and went to 5,000 mile intervals. The GTR is 5,000 unless tracked. Then all fluids have to be replaced to keep warranty.

That is not what their owners manual says for the 21 Altima. It states 10,000 miles or 12 months, whichever comes first and that is exactly what I do.

Screenshot 2022-11-02 at 6.05.31 AM.png

Last edited:
The question is how long time wise to get to that 2K miles on the GTR? 6 months? A year? Not too many are daily drivers are they? And they may be hard driven as well.

For me, dino oil shouldn’t be run longer than 3K. “Synthetic”, unless it’s a Red Line/HPL/Amsoil SS wholly PAO/POE blend is fine for 5-7K, depending on driving habits or what a “smart” OLM(not an idiot light like on a Toyota) says. Or just dump it after a year if it’s a garage queen.

In the GTR, if you're using it to full potential, it may well be "better" with shorter OCIs.

Similar example ... GM specs M1 syn for the Corvettes. When used at full potential (say weekend track use) the heat loading in the engine bay can be extreme, and using a syn makes for less concern of lube thermal breakdown, etc. However, does that really matter to the owner who toodles down to the country club for a Sunday brunch, only doing the speed limit in his 35mph subdivision?????

Use factors matter. Those, along with OCI, lube selection, engine traits, environments, etc ... they all should be considered in whole and not as singular decision points.

So maybe the GTR can benefit from such short OCIs. But I would want to see this engineer's data, taken with a grain of salt.

That is for normal use, which no consumer falls under. 5,000 miles or sooner for extreme usage. That’s what all consumers fall under.
BS. My Altima is all HWY 5 days a week. Normal use. All consumers DO NOT fall under extreme use. :rolleyes:

BS. My Altima is all HWY 5 days a week. Normal use. All consumers DO NOT fall under extreme use. :rolleyes:
So you drive your car nonstop, no idle, no traffic lights, no extreme cold, extreme heat? You crank it up, and are immediately on the interstate and when you get to work you are immediately off the interstate and that’s it?

So you drive your car nonstop, no idle, no traffic lights, no extreme cold, extreme heat? You crank it up, and are immediately on the interstate and when you get to work you are immediately off the interstate and that’s it?
Seriously, dude. You can't be serious. Some idling, heat, cold, etc but mostly hwy does not constitute extreme use. 10,000 mile OCI's have been done for years on vehicles that have gone on to hundreds of thousands of miles. This old school thinking needs to die.

Seriously, dude. You can't be serious. Some idling, heat, cold, etc but mostly hwy does not constitute extreme use. 10,000 mile OCI's have been done for years on vehicles that have gone on to hundreds of thousands of miles. This old school thinking needs to die.
Listen weasel, you fall under the extreme category. I have worked at Honda, Toyota, Kia, BMW, VW, Mazda, Ford, Nissan and GM as a tech. It is not old school thinking, it’s called seeing what it does to engines and the issues it causes. The only manufacturer that actually keeps the 10,000 OCI is the euro ones and even those are really not recommended to go the full 10,000. Euro oil has nothing in common with API, or ilsac rated oil as they use way better oils and higher HTHS. Every other manufacturer tells customers not to follow the oil life monitor and puts a 5,000 mile sticker in the car. The only reason manufacturers try to push extended OCI is due to keeping the cost of ownership down. They also say coolant and trans fluid is lifetime. Just like the 20 weight oils are only for CAFE, not for full protection I mind. See if you actually read the fine print in the owners manuals, it says everything I am telling you about extreme and normal usage. Please don’t tell me either it’s a way for the dealers to make money bc a dealer makes absolutely nothing on oil changes.

Last edited:
Listen weasel, you fall under the extreme category. I have worked at Honda, Toyota, Kia, BMW, VW, Mazda, Ford, Nissan and GM as a tech. It is not old school thinking, it’s called seeing what it does to engines and the issues it causes. The only manufacturer that actually keeps the 10,000 OCI is the euro ones and even those are really not recommended to go the full 10,000. Euro oil has nothing in common with API, or ilsac rated oil as they use way better oils and higher HTHS. Every other manufacturer tells customers not to follow the oil life monitor and puts a 5,000 mile sticker in the car. The only reason manufacturers try to push extended OCI is due to keeping the cost of ownership down. They also say coolant and trans fluid is lifetime. Just like the 20 weight oils are only for CAFE, not for full protection I mind. See if you actually read the fine print in the owners manuals, it says everything I am telling you about extreme and normal usage. Please don’t tell me either it’s a way for the dealers to make money bc a dealer makes absolutely nothing on oil changes.

Wow. So, you have resorted to name-calling? Such a professional.

First, I don't care how many companies you've worked for and how long. But since you brought it up, the fact that you have worked for so MANY of them tells me everything I need to know about your "knowledge." I wonder why so many...fired maybe for being an incompetent and/or rude? Left maybe because they all couldn't grasp your "knowledge" level? Either way, your thinking is old-school thinking that needs to die. And you're wrong, euro manufacturers are not the only ones keeping 10,000 mile OCI's. Ford and Nissan off the top of my head based on the owners manuals as well as Toyota.

Go away now.

Last edited:
Back