Nissan Quest

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al

Just changed oil in this thing again. I take care of oil changing in by daughter and son's vehicles. Apparently the Rotell T Synthetic was available at the Wally Store in WV at $13 vs the latest "price update" of $19 in Pa.

My question-what is the capacity of this crankcase?? (He couldn't find his manual
rolleyes.gif
. ) The stupid dip stick on this car is useless to read level. If you ever read one you'll know what I am talking about. I change oil in so many vehicles I never remember. You'd think I would write it down.
shocked.gif
I finally put a little less than 4.5 quarts in-so its too late now-I'm back in Pa.
lol.gif

offtopic.gif
I'm starting to grow weary of changing oil in others cars. I'm 57 right now and at 60 all this stuff stops. Just seems like sometimes it's not apreciated
dunno.gif

[ July 27, 2003, 09:27 AM: Message edited by: Al ]

Al,

If this is the same 3.0L engine that is in the '93 Mercury Villager (really a Quest) and the '94 Nissan Hardbody Truck, the capacities are:
4.2 qts with filter change and 3.7 without.

Well its the 3.3 engine. But the 4.2 quarts is close to the 4.5 I put in.
grin.gif
. In this car's case-more oil is better than less oil. If I'm not there it doesn't get checked
crushedcar.gif

Thanks
cheers.gif

Understand...I have one that is learning to be a conscientious oil level checker and one who is still resisting!!!
dunno.gif

Al, if this is the same 3.3l thats in the Xterra, the capacity w/filter change is 3.5 qts. AND, if thats the same engine, then the "dipstick" is truly useless. Its like a small fishing weight on the end of about 12" of stranded wire. It picks up oil from the walls of the dipstick tube on the way up and skews the readings. Amazing that they can't engineer something alittle more user-friendly.

I know what you mean about doing things for others. There is a very fine line separating appreciation from being taken for granted. Til you stop doing it. I like to think that all of us that slave over cars, whether they are ours or someone elses, get "rewarded" at some point and time
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:
offtopic.gif
I'm starting to grow weary of changing oil in others cars. I'm 57 right now and at 60 all this stuff stops. Just seems like sometimes it's not apreciated
dunno.gif

Perpaps it's time to teach son and/or son-in-law (if there is one)
smile.gif
the fine art of changing oil.

quote:

Originally posted by kiko:

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

Perpaps it's time to teach son and/or son-in-law (if there is one)
smile.gif
the fine art of changing oil.

Well son is fine-I just do it to help him-and he appreciates it also. Son-in law-really no hope. And daughter is pretty much hopeless.

offtopic.gif
My best hope in that family is my grandson. At the age of 5 he is mechanically inclined and loves tools. I was rotating tires and every opportunity I would get him to do something.
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Al:

My best hope in that family is my grandson. At the age of 5 he is mechanically inclined and loves tools. I was rotating tires and every opportunity I would get him to do something.
smile.gif

It's always good to get them started early, I've put my son to work already!

-

Al, we hear you, brother...This story is sort of the BITOG version of "Give a man a fish and he eats for a day, teach a man to fish and he eats for a life time." Next go round of oil changes, get the good folks out there and show them the pure joy of oil changes and let them go.

The Nissan Quest/ Mercury Villager has a Nissan V6 in it from the Nissan Maxima. This is known to be a good aluminum V6 engine. I think it may also appear in the Nissan Pathfinder. The main weakness is in the fuel system. They have had problems with fuel pumps, fuel injectors, EVAP, and so on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back