Nissan oil filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do we think of dealer-supplied Nissan oil filters now? I read here a while back that they are made by Gonher in Mexico and are supposed to be decent...

My B-I-L is buying a 2014 Frontier PRO-4x with the 4.0L.

Is that the filter OEM of a versa note 2014 also?wow ,I'll use those I thought the end cap of media were metal .glue or fiber is fine by me but I hate metal end cap

I'm not sure if its the note filter as well. If you have the mr18de then yes cause that is my engine. It is an alright filter just super expensive compared to a fram orange can which I would take over this filter. It gave me good insoluble % so I can't really complain. And there were no defects in it. I got this filter from the nissan dealer in bc.

I have had 2 different nissan filters on my frontier.
15208-9E01A made in mexico, silicone adbv, metal end caps
15208-9E000 made in china, cellulose end caps, rubber adbv,

These are slightly longer than the one pictured above. The chinese filter I have used is exactly the same as the picture posted above except for the slightly longer length.

I think both are decent filters and would have no issue running either one. If I had a choice it would be the mexico version.

Both were given to me by my brother who was a mechanic at a nissan dealership for a bit so I don't know what dealers are selling them for.

I don't plan to buy one in the future. I am running a Mobil one filter right now and the next oil change will probably be a Fram ultra depending on what the Mobil one looks like when I cut it apart.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
But considering you commented on the thread, you have seen it before.
Yes, I did, but my nephew sold his Nissan not long after that so I didn't keep up. Now my BIL is considering one and I wanted to see if anything has changed in the year and a half since that thread. We all know how filter quality can change abruptly...

I recently finished using up a case of OEM filters bought at an Infiniti dealer in 2008. Those were made in Taiwan and were the smaller version. They worked fine for me for 4-5K OCIs. I can't imagine the new OEM filters being too much different, even if they are made in Mexico.

In summary, I'd say it appears that Nissan has used and may still be using oil filters supplied by several manufacturers with a coo in different places. Based on the pics, posts, thread links only by an exterior examination using the information provided one might be able to gather what type of construction the element might be.

It 'seems' that if the Nissan has a nitrile adbv and has a C (or A) suffix it likely has fiber end cap construction. Otoh, if it has a silcone adbv it appears the Nissan OF would have metal end cap construction no matter the coo.

So, beyond cutting open the newest filter supplied by the Nissan dealer or matching the part numbers posted in the linked threads and observing the adbv composition, nothing 100% unequivocal can be stated. Best to examine the Nissan filter prior to purchase to get best chance of obtaining the Nissan filter construction of one's preference. My .02

Thanks for the summary, sayjac.

If my BIL buys the vehicle (and he's leaning that way), I may buy a filter from the dealer to dissect. I always recommend OEM filters while under warranty, but I know little about these. My experience has been with Ford, GM, and Toyota products.

I was having issues with p1 filters and decided to try these new nissan oems. So far so good. I compared them to a made in Japan one I got back in 2009, and this made in Mexico one seems better, mostly b/c of metal end caps and silicone adv.

No idea what the filter media is rated at

Ps vehicle was a g37

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back