Nissan OEM Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I took this Nissan OF I had from a year or two ago back to the local Nissan dealership and was going to ask for a refund on it and buy a Bosch or similar 3rd party filter but the parts mgr talked me out of it.

I tend to think they are a pretty good filter. I was told today they are made by Nissan and when people use them they tend to have few or no issues with their motors. He says when he sees people come in with timing chain noises, they almost always have been using after market OFs. He said they once cut into some OEM OFs and found them to be built very well. I used to think I did just fine with Honda OEM oil filters and I put 253k on a 1994 Civic in 6 years with Castrol GTX oil @ 3k OCI.

This pic is compared to one I got at a local parts store the other day. I think I'm going to use this OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 in late Fall when I do my next OCI.

OFs.jpg

Did some research on this particular Nissan filter app. the latest I could find was found in this link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id10.html

If it is still the same then this particular Nissan filter looks decent. Don't know how much you paid or what the app is in other brand filters because I would like to compare. I'm sure someone here will be able to cross reference.

Two things, here recently someone posted a Nissan filter cut open and it looked cheaply made. And, I'd like to know some of the other filters, other than the one you show, that could match up with the Nissan.

I don't know. The "jury is still out". I may go with a 3rd party filter after all.

I don't think I'm going to use that Auto Extra filter. It's too small for one thing. Hopefully a few more replies will make up my mind for me.
54.gif
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Lurch
I took this Nissan OF I had from a year or two ago back to the local Nissan dealership and was going to ask for a refund on it and buy a Bosch or similar 3rd party filter but the parts mgr talked me out of it.

I tend to think they are a pretty good filter. I was told today they are made by Nissan and when people use them they tend to have few or no issues with their motors. He says when he sees people come in with timing chain noises, they almost always have been using after market OFs. He said they once cut into some OEM OFs and found them to be built very well. I used to think I did just fine with Honda OEM oil filters and I put 253k on a 1994 Civic in 6 years with Castrol GTX oil @ 3k OCI.

This pic is compared to one I got at a local parts store the other day. I think I'm going to use this OEM filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5-30 in late Fall when I do my next OCI.

OFs.jpg

You can't buy that specific p/n 15208-9E000 Nissan OEM filter anymore. That 15208-9E000 was probably a lot better than the Nissan OEM filters sold today. The current Nissan OEM filters are tiny and have cardboard end caps, etc ... still made in China.

I've heard the claims too that the Nissan engines are supposedly less noisy at start-up with an OEM filter, but who can really validate the claim? I've ran Motorcraft and NAPA Gold filter in my '04 Altima with VQ35 engine and it's quiet, even at start-up. I'm going to try the PureONE PL14610 at the next oil change ... I expect no issues.

I don't know. The "jury is still out". I may go with a 3rd party filter after all.

I think you should cut open that old Nissan OEM filter to see how they have changed over the last couple of years. There are photos floating around of the current Nissan OEM filers cut open, and IMO they don't look good. If you painted the can orange, you'd think it was a FRAM.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Did some research on this particular Nissan filter app. the latest I could find was found in this link.

http://home.earthlink.net/~cewhite3nc/id10.html

Nice website with cut open (old) filter comparos.
thumbsup2.gif

Sure seems like a lot of filter's construction have gone down hill over the last 5 years. They realize that 99.8% of the population only looks at the outside.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Busa, what is the comparable app in other filter brands. Is that the same as the #7317, or PL14610?

The PureONE PL14610 should be about the same length as that Nissan 15208-9E000.

Also, of the same length would be Wix 51356 and NAPA Gold 1356.

Motorcraft is FL-822, which is basically a re-badged Purolator L14610.

More info and links inside this:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...&gonew=1#UNREAD

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

Nice website with cut open (old) filter comparos.
thumbsup2.gif

Sure seems like a lot of filter's construction have gone down hill over the last 5 years. They realize that 99.8% of the population only looks at the outside.
I'm not sure how old that study is but it is one of the better ones and some of the information, especially on Motorcraft is still accurate. The Nissan filters were just an addendum to the bigger study. http://home.mindspring.com/~cewhite3nc/index.html

Was a good opportunity for the service manager to try and get you to buy "genuine" nissan parts. They're all on commission and are there to make money, they have little to no technical knowledge and refer everything to "OE" when it really isn't, but they make it sound good.

Yeah, I'll probably get a PureOne or Bosch for my next OCI this Fall. OEM may be OK, or even good, but very good is what I prefer.
01.gif

I can get a Wix for about $8 but they are also short like the one in the pic. I'd rather get the longer ones for slightly higher capacity. I think the Bosch is long like the OEM.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

OFs.jpg

You can't buy that specific p/n 15208-9E000 Nissan OEM filter anymore. That 15208-9E000 was probably a lot better than the Nissan OEM filters sold today. The current Nissan OEM filters are tiny and have cardboard end caps, etc ... still made in China.

I've heard the claims too that the Nissan engines are supposedly less noisy at start-up with an OEM filter, but who can really validate the claim? I've ran Motorcraft and NAPA Gold filter in my '04 Altima with VQ35 engine and it's quiet, even at start-up. I'm going to try the PureONE PL14610 at the next oil change ... I expect no issues.
I have a 05 Altima VQ35. I have only used PureOne and Mobil 1 filters. I get a little start up noise with the PureOnes but no noise with the Mobil 1 filters.

I can get a Wix for about $8 but they are also short like the one in the pic. I'd rather get the longer ones for slightly higher capacity. I think the Bosch is long like the OEM.

Get the WIX 51356 or NAPA Gold 1356 ... same filter, and longer (~3.5" long). I'm running the NAPA Gold 1356 now. The 51365 and 1365 are the SHORT versions.

These are the filter's I've researched to use on my '04 Altima with VQ35 (3.5L V6). ALL of these are the long version filter.

1356 NAPA GOLD
3323 ROBERT BOSCH
51356 WIX
B1402 BALDWIN FILTERS
FL822 MOTORCRAFT
L14610 PUROLATOR
PL14610 PUROLATOR

Thank you SuperBusa. :) I wrote the numbers down and will go for one of these for sure.

I haven't heard any startup noise since switching to synthetic oil and K&N oil filters. If I remember right, I was hearing it with OEM oil filters and Castrol GTX 10-30, so I don't want to go back to hearing that again, so maybe I better pass on the OEM OF. With Pennzoil Platinum synthetic oil, I doubt I'd hear it anyway but you never know.

Thank you SuperBusa. :) I wrote the numbers down and will go for one of these for sure.

I see in your signature that you have a 2003 Nissan Sentra XE 1.8. Just make sure the filters I listed for the V6 are also interchangeable with your Nissan.

I got the PureOne 14610.

Steveh said above that he got startup noises with a PureOne OF but he didn't say what oil he was using at the time.

If I use this PureOne OF with Pennzoil Platinum 5-30, do any of you think I might get startup noises?

SuperBusa seemed to say I should have got he Wix or Napa Gold.

L

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back