Nissan MT fluid Spec #?

Hey guys,

I've been looking at various transmission oils for my 07 NISSAN 350z. For some years I have run the OEM fluid and need to flush it every year as I cook the crap out of it at the track every season.

I was looking into other oils available and this Ravenol oil is available and says it meets some of these Nissan specification codes? Are any of these spec codes numbers for the manual transmission?

OEM is "NIssan HQ multi 75w-85"

I know very little about tranmssion oil specs and how they work. I do understand they need to slip AND cause friction for the synchros which complicates things. Any and all info is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221104-170933.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-170933.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 11
  • Screenshot_20221104-170941.jpg
    Screenshot_20221104-170941.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
All you need is a GL-4 rating in either 75W-85 or 75W-90.
I know it's not that simple. This is my 8th manual car and I have used many types of fluid. Some fluid that is gl-4 will make certain transmissions shift horribly. Redline fluid in an E46 tramission won't even let you get into first gear when it's below 15F

Yes, in a Nissan, its that simple. And, a fluid doesn't fix a poorly engineered or worn out transmission, horrible drivebywire programming, not rev matching, pig heavy flywheel or dmf, or skill-less clutch foot and shift fingers.

Redline MT85. Since on track, consider MT90.

Here are some others:

If running it hard is a priority... then the comment of upping the SAE viscosity to 90 from 85 may be ok... but be aware that some transaxles/transmissions have oil funnels and they deliver lubricant along the bore in the shafting and then radially outwards to the speed-gear races, to lubricate same. Mazda does this, maybe Ford does too. Other mfrs? My point is that upping the viscosity in a low ambient environment/area may impede lubrication from cold.

I know that MT1 (I believe) designation can mitigate against GL-5's higher amounts of EP sulfur formulations which can harm synchro rings/yellow metals. I still, personally, would prefer to stick with GL-4 if that is spec'd by the Mfr...

From technical side Nissan says 75w85 GL4, so it's your start point.
It must be MTF00P (older) or MTF00NP (newer) both 75w85 GL4. Ravenol should be ok.
After you must know there are different GL4 oils with different additive.

Back