Nissan May Kill Off Titan Fullsize Pickup Truck. -Motor Trend

Nissan couldn't just be itself with the 2nd gen and tried to build an F150 from the side headlight profile right down to the stepped window profile. They ended up with a truck much uglier than what they targeted with no chance to steal customers. Had they stayed vanguard like the 1rst gen Titan when it was introduced (which I own a 2011 pro-4x) and not wait 5 years to establish their own style they would have had a better shot. I thought the 2016-2019 were some of the ugliest trucks made... until the new Tundra came out. But Toyota's following is so strong they'll gladly become delusional and find a way to like it's looks. Nissan trucks haven't had that kind of following since the hardbody.

I think its very likely they'll kill off the Xd, and keep the regular titan.

The XD is beefier than all the other half tons, but share the same gas engine and trans so you cant really tow much if any more, but its a super stable platform a 5/8 size really.

Too bad cummins first dud was the 5.0 in the XD.

I wish Nissan could figure out how to get the Titan to sell better. I think it's a nice truck and it has the best warranty out of all of them. My buddy bought his new in 2018 and tows and hauls frequently with it and it has been flawless. My experience with my F-150 was not nearly as good as his experience with his Titan.

CAFE does not apply to trucks
It does for Class 1 and 2a. Only in the realm of >8500 lb GVWR does it not apply.
With that in mind, the targets are lower for light trucks, hence one reason why it is advantageous for automakers to crank out so many different models of ugly front-wheel-drive station wagons and call them "crossover SUVs"

Even with the current looks, you'd think if Nissan put some effort into marketing, promoting and pricing them to sell, they'd sell well.

I never understood why automotive manufacturers do what they do. Why the heck would you go through all the resources to build a vehicle to sell, and then put it out there in such a way that no one knows it even exists? Most of us know they're there, but you don't give them a second thought.

Its a black mark on Cummins. Cummins was 100% responsible their own engine.
And the bottom end failures some of the Cummins experienced is something Nissan installers would never touch during install at the factory.
Its 100% on Cummins.
No surprise Nissan stopped putting the Cummins Diesels in, they originally had paid Cummins a pretty penny for them too.
The real problem with the Titan HD was that it promised significantly better economy than a 3/4 or 1-ton diesel from the Big 3, while hauling almost as much.

It didn’t hit that target. And the unreliability of the Cummins 5.0 was the nail in the coffin.

I still like the 5.6 Titan. Those are monster engines.

Its a black mark on Cummins. Cummins was 100% responsible their own engine.
And the bottom end failures some of the Cummins experienced is something Nissan installers would never touch during install at the factory.
Its 100% on Cummins.
No surprise Nissan stopped putting the Cummins Diesels in, they originally had paid Cummins a pretty penny for them too.
Chrysler was ready to ship the 5.0 like 14 years ago and that could’ve been a real issue. the ecodiesel isn’t noteworthy and hasn’t affected their reputation in the same way.

Last edited:
Back