Nissan Maxima 2009 synthetic oil choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
I bought my Maxima 09 with 80k miles 4 months ago, from the records I have got, seems like the previous (original) owner used Nissan (Ester) oil 5w30 for the vehicle life and changed it at the Nissan dealer every 4k miles or so.
Before knowing that, I had my 1st oil change with Mobile 1 advance fully synthetic 5w30 and used M1 110 filter, the same combo I used for 8 years for my 2002 and 2003 Maximas with no issues, though did not experiment with potentially better oils.
The car drives beautifully, original owner kept in new-like condition despite the 10 yo age.

Questions:
1. What fully synthetic oil you recommend for my Maxima VQ3.5 engine? hearing Mobile 1 FS is a blend and not a real FS. I want to know the best stuff that lubricate this engine

2. Any better filter than M1 M110(catalogue recommends M108, the shorter filter but M110 fits fine) extended life oil filter?

Thanks

Fram Ultra may be a cheaper and is similar quality to M1 filters. 4000 mi OCI is pretty short.

Last edited:
For my 2013 Maxima, I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and Mahle OC711 filter. I used the factory oil filter from local Nissan dealer up to end of the powertrain warranty.

As others have said, any good oil is fine, no real best to recommend. Based on how this engine shears the oil, it might be beneficial to select a 5W40 in place of 5W30.

Last comment: Change the CVT fluid, a DIY partial flush with Pennzoil CTV-2 is only going to cost you about $40 USD in oil and give you nice peace of mind.

Nissan VQ engines 'seem' to like thicker oil...they just seem to show better UOA's on them. They seem to be pretty hard oil oil.

M1 0W-40 IMO is a good option for them, not too thick, but still thicker than an ILSAC 30-weight.

Wow, nice, 4k mile oil changes on the (epensive!) Nissan ester oil. Not bad for over-doing it.

Your habit of using M1 5w30 is a good one. Its a true full-synthetic, not a blend as you said you heard. One option is to step it up to Mobil1 EP or AP 5w30 for more PAO content. ....
Actually the tough oil spec to look for since 2011 has been dexos1. The only tougher spec I've seen these days is to use an LL-01FE oil; you could find one of those if you want to.

Some above have said go to a euro-spec LL-01 229.5 A40 full syn 0w-40, which would work well, yet probably a little thicker than necessary. If you go the HTHS 3.5 LL-01 route and choose the 0w-40, pick Mobil1 0w40 which may shear down to be a thick-side 0w30, close to ideal for you. At least many allege Mobil1 0w40 gets permanent shear quickly, might be true. You're fine either way. cheap at walmart too.

Also, switch to a Fram Ultra oil filter for better performance. Many reasons to do that.

Nothing wrong with sticking with what you have been using. That M1 is not a synthetic blend per se but rather a blend of synthetic oils. All oils are blends of base stocks.

Keep an eye out for promos and rebates and stock up when those occur.

Since M1 5w30 worked well on your old Maxi's, I say keep using that on this Maxi.

My old VQ35 really purred on M1 0w40 & VML 10w40 (summertime only). It used a little oil b/w oil changes, which is why I bumped up to a 40wt.

Originally Posted by KGMtech

Last comment: Change the CVT fluid, a DIY partial flush with Pennzoil CTV-2 is only going to cost you about $40 USD in oil and give you nice peace of mind.

I did 2 "rounds" of drain and refill for the CVT fluid (and changed the external filter with the 1st change), 3k miles apart. 4.5 quarts both times.
I would not recommend other than Nissan NS2 fluid TBH for the CVT.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Any major brand of oil that meets the specs will run fine in your Nissan. There is no best choice.

Well mostly true but the best choice is the one on sale with a rebate. You don't have to pay the prices for the high spread oil because frankly there isn't .50 difference.

I would go back to the Nissan ester 5w30 and perhaps lengthen the OCI after looking at a few tests for trends. The Nissan oil is probably going to have better HTHS, NOACK and viscosity numbers than the M1. If your main interest is saving money then the choice you already made is fine.

For my 2013 Maxima, I use Pennzoil Platinum 5W30 and Mahle OC711 filter. I used the factory oil filter from local Nissan dealer up to end of the powertrain warranty.

As others have said, any good oil is fine, no real best to recommend. Based on how this engine shears the oil, it might be beneficial to select a 5W40 in place of 5W30.

When did shear become a universal BITOG concern? ISLAC 30 grades shear and it is expected motor oil will shear the OEM's know this.

Originally Posted by sloinker
I would go back to the Nissan ester 5w30 and perhaps lengthen the OCI after looking at a few tests for trends. The Nissan oil is probably going to have better HTHS, NOACK and viscosity numbers than the M1. If your main interest is saving money then the choice you already made is fine.

The Nissan "Ester" oil is >80% "high refined petroleum oil" according to the MSDS.

No Nissan ESTER oil does not act like any Diester it shears into a 20 grade within 2000 miles of use and if its a resource conserving oil it can not have a higher HTHS.

If it were mine - Chevron Supreme 5W-30. If it had to be "synthetic" I'd wait and see if the new Havoline DS in the 6 quart boxes show up at my local WM.

Originally Posted by mahanddeem

I did 2 "rounds" of drain and refill for the CVT fluid (and changed the external filter with the 1st change), 3k miles apart. 4.5 quarts both times.
I would not recommend other than Nissan NS2 fluid TBH for the CVT.

I did my research on NS-2 and confirmed that it is made by SOPUS group, the Pennzoil CVT-2 is the factory fill - but you can pay 2-3x for it at the Nissan dealer

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dave1251

No Nissan ESTER oil does not act like any Diester it shears into a 20 grade within 2000 miles of use and if its a resource conserving oil it can not have a higher HTHS.

My mistake, thought it was more boutique than mainstream due to its name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back