Nissan Matic J vs. Mobil 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just did a transmission fluid drain/refill on my 06' Xterra. I drained nearly 5 quarts of fluid from an 11 quart system. I re-filled using Mobil 1 ATF (which is Matic J compliant) as opposed to buying Nissan's fluid. The fluid level is where it should be. I have noticed the shifts are a little harder and when I was at Lowe's the other night, sitting still in the parking lot going through the gears, I heard a distinct "clunking" noise that I never heard before. I've read some people on the web say use only Nissan Matic J instead of any other fluid that just "meets Matic J standards". How much better can Nissan's Matic J fluid be compared to Mobil 1? Are the noises I heard related to using a different fluid?

Last edited:
I used amsoil in my wife's altima with good luck. On her car it has rubber hoses going to the radiator and I just dropped the transmission fluid and refilled, then pulled one of those hoses off and had her start it and run through the gears to pump the rest of the old fluid out while I was refilling.

I should note that I tried the mobil 1 atf in her power steering, granted this was at 20 below but it would whine for a minute till it warmed up, I put amsoil atf in that and now sounds good.

As I have stated before I started using M1 Atf when they first started making it and have found it to be a fine ATF in trannys and PS pumps. Never had a failure. I'm sure Amsoil Atf is a fine product as well. Many testify to that.

Yes, that's the one I used. I just thought I would see smoother shifts (although it was pretty smooth to begin with) instead of hearing what I did in the Lowe's parking lot. I thought I was taking a step up with Mobil 1 ATF instead of the dealer brand. Who knows.

Found this on nissanhelp dot com. There is a bulletin regarding of ATF fluid. Here is for Matic J:
"Use only the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF specified here. Do not mix with other fluids. Using transmission fluid other than the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF specified here or its equivalent may cause deterioration in drivability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty."

Its a conventional AT.
If automakers listed all 'equivalents', the dealer parts department would be bankrupt.
Dexron can be used in place of matic-D not J.

Schaeffers #204 S-AT now lists Matic J as compatible. I use it for a DEX III application and couldn't be happier.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
Its a conventional AT.
If automakers listed all 'equivalents', the dealer parts department would be bankrupt.
Dexron can be used in place of matic-D not J.

Per Mobil's site, the M1 Synthetic ATF is compatible with, among others, Matic-D, J, and K. See the M1 specs here.

AT manufactures use recommendations that are the best for their transmissions. They probably spend a great amount of time & money to get the best performance in terms of AT longevity & shifting quality. When you substitute one-size-fits-many, you get something thats OK but,not optimized. I question the saving by not using the factory recommended fluid in the $4,000 transmission to save $15?

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
Found this on nissanhelp dot com. There is a bulletin regarding of ATF fluid. Here is for Matic J:
"Use only the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF specified here. Do not mix with other fluids. Using transmission fluid other than the Genuine NISSAN Matic ATF specified here or its equivalent may cause deterioration in drivability and automatic transmission durability, and may damage the automatic transmission, which is not covered by the NISSAN new vehicle limited warranty."

Yeah, I think that you have issues because you mixed the two fluids together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back