Nissan KA24DE's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just bought a Nissan...

Its an early DE @ '93. I haven't found any UOA posted, or anybody discussing these motors, specifically in an early Altima or 240 since they were also used as truck motors w/ some internal changes later on. All ran off timing chains though AFAIK.

Are they particularly hard, or easy on oil? Known to be oil burners? I haven't put enough miles on this one to know yet.

The filter is a horizontal style... Are there any filters besides the Wix/Pure One/Napa Gold (Identical to the Wix, right?) that have silicon anti-drainbacks for this app? Is the silicon adbv a big plus, or really necessary?

Thanks BITOGers!

I own a 2000 2.4 liter Nissan Frontier after purchasing the new vehicle from the dealer. The engine, although underpowered, in my opinion, has been one tough engine. It has hauled many things, and keeps on ticking, like a clock. I have run 4-5k miles between conventional oil changes until last year. I switched to full synthetic, Mobil 1, with a Purolator made Filter that I let run until I got it to 10k miles. This past week, I changed it to Quaker State Full Synthetic and a Purolator PureOne Filter at 91K miles.

The Southwest Institute of Research uses that same engine on all tests to determine certain parts of the testing that goes on with bearing wear, oil filter efficiency, and other tests. Yes, there are other engines used for different tests, but I think the 2.4 Nissan Engine is used the most in most of the tests done in the San Antonio Research Testing Laboratory.
grin2.gif

I had a KA24DE in my '98 Altima. It never burned any oil and it ran great. No noises, and I wasn't easy on that car either. I would sometimes only do really short trips and change it once every 8-10 months. The filter for that engine is teeny though! It costs a little more than most filters...

My old '95 Nissan Hardbody had the KA24E (single OHC). What a great little engine. It was the first 4-cylinder engine I owned, and it was a little workhorse. Not all that powerful, but torquey enough. It wasn't the smoothest engine around, but it really purred like a kitten. The truck had 172k miles when I bought it, and I put about 15-20k on it, then I sold it to my brother. He sold it with about 205k miles. All the while, nary a noise from that engine.

Havoline ran best in mine. I was always a Valvoline guy, but the engine actually WAS a little noisy on the Valvoline. The Havoline made a big difference.

Originally Posted By: Jason Adcock
My old '95 Nissan Hardbody had the KA24E (single OHC). What a great little engine. It was the first 4-cylinder engine I owned, and it was a little workhorse. Not all that powerful, but torquey enough. It wasn't the smoothest engine around, but it really purred like a kitten. The truck had 172k miles when I bought it, and I put about 15-20k on it, then I sold it to my brother. He sold it with about 205k miles. All the while, nary a noise from that engine.

Havoline ran best in mine. I was always a Valvoline guy, but the engine actually WAS a little noisy on the Valvoline. The Havoline made a big difference.

Interesting that your engine preferred Havoline. I always used Valvoline in mine, for the 2 years I owned it and it seemed to run perfect on it.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Nissan 4 cylinders are freakin indestructable!!!!! They just won`t die!

Many engines used in the Sentra from 1995 to 2006 were not.

Of course no Sentra left the factory with a KA series engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back